View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 03:38 PM   #33
Lupin The Third

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictimOfScience View Post
Everyone should stop whining about getting these titles on the PSN and the XBLA and get into the homebrew scene. I have most of my favorite adventures up and running on my DS, PSP, and my Wii now and by far the most annoying controls are on the PSP due to the analog stick. Playing these games with modern joypads would just be a pain (using my 360 joypad at all is one of the most annoying gaming experiences for me period).

That said, I hope Heavy Rain can get people (developers, publishers, gamers) to think differently about adventure gaming (and really just gaming in general).
Whining? So because I want to play classic and new adventure games on a service like XBLA or PSN, in HD with achievements and other enhancements, rather than playing pirated versions on a tiny screen that makes me a whiner? Funny... I thought what I was doing was suggesting a way for the adventure game to break back into the mainstream rather than remaining in the obscurity into which its fallen theses last several years. Silly me, wanting to help suggest an additional, and highly lucrative, revenue stream for publishers of both classics and new titles. Silly me...after all, homebrewing will DEFINITELY bring the genre back into the mainstream!

As to your joypad comments that's really just a minor hurdle that PC gamers bitch about...all the while not realizing that in making such a fuss they cause devs to listen to their idiotic comments and further restrict the venues through which adventure gaming reaches consumers. People who are saying that adventure games don't work on consoles were saying the same thing about FPS games not too many years ago. Now the FPS genre is a staple of console gaming thanks to Halo. And even the coveted RTS genre has now been shown to work on the consoles quite well within the last two years. There's no reason that adventure games, with their far less complex interfaces, can't work perfectly fine on consoles.

Personally I can put up with a controller based interface for the opportunity to enjoy adventure games while sitting comfortably on my couch viewing them in glorious 1080 on my 57" Hitachi HDTV rather than playing them on a PC at a desk while my hand goes arthritic from clutching a mouse. I found playing Syberia 1&2 and Still Life far more pleasant on the Xbox than on the PC....and a lot of gamers feel the same way I do about preferring a console given the choice, even if the control isn't quite a spot on.

As to Heavy Rain, the tech demos certainly looked amazing, but considering that the dev just made the comment that their game is so advanced that it has "no competitors" leads me to believe that this game is going to be a disastrous disappointment that dwarfs any of the letdowns that accompanied games like Fable or Too Human. I hope I'm wrong, but Indigo Prophecy was supposed to do the same thing (get people to think differently, back into adventure gaming, etc) and it really was a patchwork of mediocre QT sequences (done far better in games like Resident Evil 4, Shenmue, and even Dragon's Lair), which actually offering even less immersion in the game world than the developer believed, and culminated in a truly disappointing ending...no matter which of the multiple endings you reached. So I'm really not about to jump on board the hype train for a developer with a spotty history when something like XBLA and PSN could do far more for this genre.