View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 04:36 AM   #1
AndreaDraco83

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83
Default The Quest's Series

I was wondering: have you played the old Sierra's Quest Series? If so, what do you think about them?

Here my thoughts:

King's Quest: a classic that range between the awesome and the ugly. From the first four chapters I liked KQ III a lot: it has some great moments and the finale is a really big moment in the series. The fourth has some nice thoughts, the infamous whale-tongue puzzle that I actually liked, funny supporting characters but it lacked depth, in my opinion. KQ V had the same problem, but it managed to set the pieces for an intriguing background story, further developed in the sixth installment, which was really awesome: it had great settings, a rich overall story, wonderful graphics and sound (especially the soundtrack), great writings, the only maze I've ever liked in an adventure, and the whole plot of the Black Cloak was very well intertwined with the stories from previous game. Plus, the segment in the Land of Death was one of the most compelling I've ever played: it's one of the rare moment that made me feel extremely sad, melancholic, near the point of tears. KQ VII had beautiful graphics and sound, but that's all: the rest was pointless.

Police Quest: another classic with an overall quality superior, in my opinion, to KQ. If the first two chapters only set the mood and style, the third was one of the funniest investigation I've ever had: it was gory, scaring, hard-boiled/pulp from the beginning to the end; in between, it also had some touching moments and a bunch of believable and well written characters; the finale was gruesome and grisly, and my only complaint is that for PQ IV they haven't retained Sonny Bonds and his city. Except for this, the final game was funny and entertaining: it lacked some emotional points, and the characters aren't written so well (they fall flat, with some exceptions); also the story, very promising at the beginning, spoiled itself through the ending.

Space Quest: I've played only the first chapter, and I didn't like it very much. I'm not a huge fan of sci-fi, so probably I'm losing half of the references and puns. What's your advice, should I continue playing the others chapters?
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box