Thread: No pun intended
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2008, 03:26 PM   #19
Lee in Limbo
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader View Post
Once at a party when a whole bunch of people where arguing, I said without thinking "mass debate" , I think this might cover both a pun and a double entendre.
I think that can be classed as word play, rather than double entendre. A double entendre is usually where you use a word that is appropriate to the discussion seen one way, but when looked at another way, gives you another less flattering or more salacious meaning.

In claiming 'no pun intended', I think sincerity counts, but it's also subject to whether the person speaking is one of those who is aware of and sympathizes with the low opinion some folks feel towards paronomasia. Other folks use it as a cheap way to indicate some bit of clever word play they perhaps just realized they used, and wish to be congratulated belatedly.

Personally, I think some folks are just a little bit uptight about what in small doses can be a fun way to enliven a conversation. This need to apologize before anyone speaks up isn't offensive so much as it is weak and dull. I'm not a great one for puns, but I never apologize for them, nor draw attention to them. If someone else in the audience is quick enough to catch them, they get more of my attention. If they groan... well, same deal, except that then my attention might be a little more pointed.

Claiming 'no offense' is of course grounds to haul off and punch someone, but you should perhaps take into account that they may be saying it upon realizing they misspoke themselves. 'Sorry' is usually more sincere, and 'I apologize for offending you', while not a full admission of guilt, is at least a polite acknowledgment of the offense incurred.

I can vaguely recall a number of situations where someone shooting their mouth off has uttered 'no offense' upon delivering what they think is pretty good barb, and I've generally blown it off, dismissing them as an anal passage and choosing in future not to tolerate them. I can't recall if I've ever responded with 'none taken', however. I prefer smiling falsely and walking away at the earliest convenience. Yes, I'm passive aggressive.

That said, I've spoken strongly on a number of occasions myself and, though I've not necessarily changed my view, do experience some regret if someone voices a note of insult. I only rarely actually intend to insult anyone, and generally only after they've offended me... in which case no such apologies are forthcoming.

I did on a couple of occasions shoot my mouth off publicly and have to be slapped down by those more in the know on a subject (or who were perhaps the subject of one of my more pointed rants), and have on those occasions apologized, even if I fairly sincerely meant to be offensive at the time. Often being confronted by someone of some authority who politely sets you straight after having been rude can be quite effective and life-changing.