View Single Post
Old 05-14-2008, 07:16 PM   #13
Lee in Limbo
It's Hard To Be Humble

As mentioned, the Syberia games are good and pretty bloodless.

You might find the first and second Myst games (Myst and Riven) good. I'd like to recommend the third and fourth games of that series as well, but sadly, these were made by different developers who didn't stick to Rand's template for the Myst games, which included no death scenarios. Exile and Revelation each have one possible death sequence that might bum you out.

I can't really recommend the fifth and final installment of the Myst series (End of Ages), because it deviated from the point and click formula. Not a lot. You CAN do point and click mode, but I'm not sure how well it works. And sadly, you won't be able to play any of the URU games, because those all use direction keys for movement. Too bad, because they're really neat games.

I can't recommend any Myst clones, because sadly, most of them just aren't as good (sorry guys), and I can't recommend any of the older '3D Adventure' games that also worked like the original Myst games (Obsidian, The Last Express, Shivers, Buried in Time: The Journeyman Project II), as I don't know if any of those games will run on Vista (I'm still on XP myself. So far, so good). If you do come across the ones I've listed, give them a try. Shivers is nerve-wracking and there IS a sort of life meter mechanic to the game, where being attacked by too many ghosts loses the game (and your soul), but it's not as dangerous as a Lara Croft game.

Oh yeah, and no Lara Croft for you.

One game I really want to recommend that you might be cautioned about is Still Life, but if you were okay with the opening sequence in Discworld Noir, I think you'll be okay with the scene late in Still Life that causes a wee bit of tension (nothing to fear; just a little nerve-wracking).

I have never finished Post Mortem, so I don't know if that one is safe to recommend. I think it is, but it's fairly creepy, even though it's also a bit clunky and hard to stay immersed in (for me).

I really want to recommend TLJ II: Dreamfall... but I can't. It's not really point and click, and it has a few sequences that would really upset you, even though the likelihood of death in that game is so slim, it's laughable. Several sequences are really tense-making, and sadly, there is a fair bit more violent action involved than I think you'd be comfortable with. Stuff DOES attack you, so you probably wouldn't like it.

For those same reasons, stay away from Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy).

The Sam and Max games have cartoon violence, but are good silly fun.

I can't tell you if Moment of Silence is safe, because I still haven't installed it. I hear it's pretty bloodless though.

And yes, the Agatha Christie games are safe.

Grim Fandango should be okay, though I'm not sure if it will run in Vista.

And I'd bet good money that the Nancy Drew games are safe for you too, and apparently, some of them are much better than you might imagine from a teen-oriented game series.

Those are all the current games I've played and/or feel safe recommending to you. I hope to add more to the list soon, because I'm not fond of death sequences myself. I get very anxious playing games where I'm afraid stuff like that can happen.

Oh, and Welcome to the AG Forums!