View Single Post
Old 04-12-2007, 02:16 AM   #15
SnorkleCat
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomStLeger View Post
I just saw a thread on the Chit Chat forum about Hollywood remakes and it made me wonder, which adventure games would do well as a remake? Alot of the old point and clickers are 2D with relatively low res (though often well drawn) graphics. Which games would hold up well when completely remade in 3D with good quality art work (such as in Dreamfall and Broken Sword 3). Remakes of hollywood films are sadly rarely better than the original, so I know that some purists might find Adventure remakes an awful idea!

I'm going to say Beneath a Steel Sky; I think that game could work very well as a new 3D adventure game. The futuristic industrial world could look amazing in full 3D if it was done properly. The moody polluted Union City could be brought alive with modern lighting and smoke effects.
The thing about Steel Sky though is that the dialogue and writing were not gritty or moody. Rather, the game was quite funny and amusing. The music was not very lofty either. I'm not sure it would work well as a modern 3D game. I'm inclined to think it would lose its charm.

As for what should be remade? Hmm..I think Fable should be remade with decent writing, better ideas, better characters, and above all, no Quickthorpe. I always felt that game was such an uncreative, irritating waste of art.

Hm...maybe Gabriel Knight 3? I wasn't too pleased with the blocky 3D, and it actually made me feel quite motion sick, which more modern 3D doesn't. I would probably go with a 2D remake of GK3.