You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2007, 07:45 AM   #1
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger
Default Adventure Remakes

I just saw a thread on the Chit Chat forum about Hollywood remakes and it made me wonder, which adventure games would do well as a remake? Alot of the old point and clickers are 2D with relatively low res (though often well drawn) graphics. Which games would hold up well when completely remade in 3D with good quality art work (such as in Dreamfall and Broken Sword 3). Remakes of hollywood films are sadly rarely better than the original, so I know that some purists might find Adventure remakes an awful idea!

I'm going to say Beneath a Steel Sky; I think that game could work very well as a new 3D adventure game. The futuristic industrial world could look amazing in full 3D if it was done properly. The moody polluted Union City could be brought alive with modern lighting and smoke effects.

The games plot would also stand up well against the test of time, though it would probably have to be modified a little to allow the gameplay to make the most of the potential of 3D environments. The game had a fair degree of free roaming among the games locations as I recall, something that could work in a 3D remake and again add a degree of realism.
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 04-09-2007, 08:03 AM   #2
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

From 2D to 3D, none. From 3D to 2D though, I can think of a couple I'd remake...
Old 04-09-2007, 09:18 AM   #3
King Silly

I'd love Remakes of first two Monkey Islands with good voice acting and everything, eventhough I'd prefer they'd keep it 2D. I can imagine they would be pretty succesfull as well, seeing Monkey Islands still has so huge fan base.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:18 AM   #4
Fulci lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonchi View Post
From 2D to 3D, none. From 3D to 2D though, I can think of a couple I'd remake...
Remaking games from 3d to 2d! I´m an oldschool gamer so i think thats a great idea.
Lets start with Gabriel Knight 3 and Monkey Island 4. And theres tons more...
Old 04-09-2007, 02:46 PM   #5
Headbanger

If anybody is going to remake a game I think it's best if it's really old. Like for example Zack Mckracken or something like that. Otherwise you might as well play the original.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamham Chan View Post
Remaking games from 3d to 2d! I´m an oldschool gamer so i think thats a great idea.
Lets start with Gabriel Knight 3 and Monkey Island 4. And theres tons more...
I also recommend 2D. I find 3D annoying and ugly. Television is 2D. Remember those old "3D" movies? Yuck. 3D is only good for action shooters, not adventure games. Therefore, remake MI4, BS3 & 4, and Gabriel Knight 3.

As for older 2D games, there could be remakes to high resolution 2D, but not 3D. Some have already been done such as King's Quest 1-3 and Maniac Mansion.

I would love to see Space Quest 2 and 3 redone in high resolution point and click. Also King's Quest 4 and Earthrise (yea, I know, but it was one of the first games I ever played and I still like it).

Note that "point and click" is part of the importance of a remake.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:21 PM   #7
Headbanger

3D is better in every aspect. Just because many new adventuregames haven't figured out how to use it well doesn't mean it's bad.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:10 PM   #8

I'd love to see a remake of tex murphy UAKM or Pandora Directive with improved ingame graphics and controls.
As a young boy, when you get splashed by a mud puddle on the way to school, you wonder if you should go home and change, but be late for school, or go to school the way you are; dirty and soaking wet. Well, while he tried to decide, I drove by and splashed him again.
- Jack Handey
Old 04-09-2007, 08:51 PM   #9
Dividing the Digital

Personally i'd love to see someone tackle Zork or Stationfall and add some nice handdrawn graphics to those classics.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:06 PM   #10
LA-S-LE

Shizukana
Quote:
Personally i'd love to see someone tackle Zork.. and add some nice handdrawn graphics to those classics.
Return to Zork and Zork: Grand Inquisitor has already succeeded in adding graphics to the text univerce. And Nemesis even added something new..
Old 04-09-2007, 10:49 PM   #11
Dividing the Digital

I know (i have them), but i'd like to see those oldies get a nice graphical update (and i meant to say Planetfall... but either or).
Old 04-10-2007, 12:48 AM   #12
kamikaze hummingbirds

Realms Of The Haunting with Half-life 2 quality graphics would be the dog's.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:56 PM   #13

Gold Rush! needs a remake.
As a young boy, when you get splashed by a mud puddle on the way to school, you wonder if you should go home and change, but be late for school, or go to school the way you are; dirty and soaking wet. Well, while he tried to decide, I drove by and splashed him again.
- Jack Handey
Old 04-11-2007, 05:34 PM   #14
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizukana View Post
Personally i'd love to see someone tackle Zork or Stationfall and add some nice handdrawn graphics to those classics.
I'd really love to see several text adventures get updated as point n click adventures!!

-All the text Zorks
-The 2 PlanetFall games
-The Lurking Horror
-The Hitchhiker's Guide text game
Old 04-12-2007, 02:16 AM   #15
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomStLeger View Post
I just saw a thread on the Chit Chat forum about Hollywood remakes and it made me wonder, which adventure games would do well as a remake? Alot of the old point and clickers are 2D with relatively low res (though often well drawn) graphics. Which games would hold up well when completely remade in 3D with good quality art work (such as in Dreamfall and Broken Sword 3). Remakes of hollywood films are sadly rarely better than the original, so I know that some purists might find Adventure remakes an awful idea!

I'm going to say Beneath a Steel Sky; I think that game could work very well as a new 3D adventure game. The futuristic industrial world could look amazing in full 3D if it was done properly. The moody polluted Union City could be brought alive with modern lighting and smoke effects.
The thing about Steel Sky though is that the dialogue and writing were not gritty or moody. Rather, the game was quite funny and amusing. The music was not very lofty either. I'm not sure it would work well as a modern 3D game. I'm inclined to think it would lose its charm.

As for what should be remade? Hmm..I think Fable should be remade with decent writing, better ideas, better characters, and above all, no Quickthorpe. I always felt that game was such an uncreative, irritating waste of art.

Hm...maybe Gabriel Knight 3? I wasn't too pleased with the blocky 3D, and it actually made me feel quite motion sick, which more modern 3D doesn't. I would probably go with a 2D remake of GK3.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:07 AM   #16
Passion Adventurist

Send a message via MSN to Hysteria

Myst I . :puke:
Old 04-12-2007, 07:40 AM   #17

I think Gabriel Knight 3 could use a high-res 3d patch more than a remake. Kinda like what has been done with Duke Nukem 3d. But a 2d remake would be pretty cool too.
- Jack Handey
Old 04-12-2007, 01:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
Myst I . :puke:
You mean RealMyst?

I wouldn't mind Hit the Road and Day of the Tentacle, remade using the same engine as Telltale's new Sam and Max games. Sure, it's 3D, but it's still cartoony and the gameplay is still 2D.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:31 PM   #19

I think The Dig would make a beautiful 3D game, and Full Throttle(which is easily becoming my answer for everything)

and although the first time around wasn't exactly stellar, I think Normality would be even more zany and weird if it was given more detail and even more cartoony graphics...
Old 04-12-2007, 07:59 PM   #20
QFG

Quote:
The Lurking Horror
+1!! +1!! +1!!