View Single Post
Old 02-24-2004, 04:28 PM   #12
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
I didn't know that terrorists are only born in non-USA countries.
I never said that. Certainly there are a lot of Americans we have to look out for as well. But Americans terrorists tend to be of a different breed than Middle Eastern terrorists. Both are bad, but they're different. The only American terrorists with the organization to infiltrate the government aren't interested in infiltrating the government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo
This is where I'm confused though. How are the Americans (and their allies) "the good guys" here? They trained and armed desperate people to do their dirty work, then they get angry when it comes around and bites them in the ass. Then Vietnam, another lovely example of Americans being nice. Again I fail to see how "good guys" and Americans are compatible phrases.
Yeah. That's kind of what I was trying to say. Everybody here seems to just assume that if it's American or allied with America then it's good. But if we look at bin Laden, America's number one enemy at the moment, we see that's not necessarily the case. I'm not trying to lay undue blame on America, but people seriously need to stop with this America-can-do-no-wrong kind of thinking.

Another good example is Saudi Arabia. The US set up the kingdom there so they could get the oil, and now everybody's complaining about how Saudi Arabia isn't cooperating. I don't like Saudi Arabia, but I do find it somewhat amusing that we basically tried to make it our pet and now complain that it's grown big enough to bite back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo
Bin Laden is not evil... he's a terrible person with serious anger-management issues who's using his expert CIA training to get back at the people he hates most.
This is the problem with many americans. They don't understand that they're not "the good guys", and that their enemies aren't evil. If they did, they'd know how to stop terrorism.
Nobody's evil? That's odd. I've always been of the opposite opinion. Everybody's evil!

mag