View Single Post
Old 02-24-2004, 11:04 AM   #8
DomStLeger
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
Sorry. I've just heard that said so often in the past few days I kind of assumed you were being serious.
Hehe np

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
Well, I never said it was perfect. In an ideal world we'd have ways of sorting out people like the KKK too. Frankly, I don't have a whole lot of faith left in the American electoral process at this point. But there's no reason to go looking for trouble. I'm sure there are plenty of non-Americans that would make a lot better presidents than some of the ones we've had. But my cynicism forces me to consider who else might try to use it. We've had enough presidents do damage to the country just because of incompetence. Can you imagine what might happen if somebody were actively trying to sabotage it? At least with an native American, it's not like he can go back home to China or Afghanistan when things start to go south here.
Yeah Iunderstand where you're coming from. Though I would like to point out that under the US system you can't have dual nationality. So anyone who is a citizen of the US should not be a citizen of any other country.

Incidentally, we have a strange situation at the moment, where any EU citizen can vote in a British election (and stand as an MP I think, and thus potentially be PM) yet still not technically be a british citizen. I think it's great that we can now move around europe freely and we automatically get full rights where-ever we are. But the worry here, and I agree with you here, is that if things go tit-up here people don't have a vested interest and so can leave for a more prosperous part of the EU. On a side note, I don''t think that'll be a problem in the UK, but I can see problems in the new Eastern European countries that are about to join, with some of the most talented and educated heading west in search of higher pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
Another thing I've noticed about the political process in the UK is that they actually seem to care about what they're talking about. When Parliament disagrees with Blair they really let him have it. It's not like the sheeple of America who just go along with everything because the president told them to.
Yes thats right. He even came close to loosing a crucial vote on university fees a few weeks ago that may well have forced him to resign. I think it's healthy in a democracy to have a leader who does not have 4yrs job security

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
It is scary. I've heard Arnold talk about politics. He should definitely stick to movies.

mag
I'd prefer it if he just retired from both
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!