View Single Post
Old 02-22-2004, 09:29 AM   #3
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
I can't figure out where people get the idea that no games work under WinXP. XP is designed as a desktop operating system for home users, which means that 98% of your games WILL work under it. The only game I've ever seen that still doesn't work under XP one way or another is Discworld Noir.
I get the impression that Tanu plays a lot of DOS games. Theme Park doesn't work in XP and I cry every night.

However, as someone who was initially not too keen on upgrading to XP from Win98SE, I heartily recommend it! The added stability and the more sensible way a lot of things work make it well worth the upgrade, as do various features that I now find indispensible, like the system tray 'autohide' thing and the 'thumbnails' view for image folders. I'm sure it supports newer hardware a lot better than Win98 does, too. As tabacco says, you will probably find that most of your games will work (or can be made to work) without any trouble (VDMSound is your friend for those troublesome DOS games), and you can always keep a minimal Win98 installation around for the few that don't.

I think WinXP gives you the option of setting up dual-booting with a previous version of Windows during the installation process, but don't quote me on that! If it doesn't give you the option, you can always set it up by editing boot.ini by hand - it's not too scary.

PS. In case you're not aware of it, XP has various 'compatibility modes' you can run your programs under, so XP can 'pretend' to be Win95, Win98, WinNT and so on. These seem to allow troublesome programs to overcome any incompatibilities, most of the time.

Last edited by Huz; 02-22-2004 at 09:38 AM.