You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Dual boot or upgrade question?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2004, 08:52 AM   #1
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune
Default Dual boot or upgrade question?

It seems that Windows 98 can longer support all the newest that are for sale...

I just bought Soinc Adventure DX for PC and it works, but it has no sound...

The main reason is because it needs Windows Media Player 9 to work properly, and it only works on Win 98 SE and above...

My options are:

A)Upgrade to Win 98 SE.... My sister has a copy at her house so its not too hard... But I wonder if I will lose data when upgrading?

B)Dual boot:
I'm not leaving W98 because 98% of my games will stop working...
So I could create a Dual Boot with Win 98 and another version...

But I don't know which: I know I have ME and probably NT or 2000 somewhere and my sister has XP... But I have no idea of which would be a better idea...

I know lots of you have XP, so I would to know if this is good idea, or if maybe I should just upgrade to W98 SE.....

I use my PC mainly for gaming... and specially retro-gaming.... I still have an old 5.25" floppy drive...
Old 02-22-2004, 08:59 AM   #2
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanukitsune
A)Upgrade to Win 98 SE.... My sister has a copy at her house so its not too hard... But I wonder if I will lose data when upgrading?

B)Dual boot:
I'm not leaving W98 because 98% of my games will stop working...
So I could create a Dual Boot with Win 98 and another version...
I can't figure out where people get the idea that no games work under WinXP. XP is designed as a desktop operating system for home users, which means that 98% of your games WILL work under it. The only game I've ever seen that still doesn't work under XP one way or another is Discworld Noir.

And DO NOT install WinME. It's a horrible, buggy piece of garbage.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:29 AM   #3
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
I can't figure out where people get the idea that no games work under WinXP. XP is designed as a desktop operating system for home users, which means that 98% of your games WILL work under it. The only game I've ever seen that still doesn't work under XP one way or another is Discworld Noir.
I get the impression that Tanu plays a lot of DOS games. Theme Park doesn't work in XP and I cry every night.

However, as someone who was initially not too keen on upgrading to XP from Win98SE, I heartily recommend it! The added stability and the more sensible way a lot of things work make it well worth the upgrade, as do various features that I now find indispensible, like the system tray 'autohide' thing and the 'thumbnails' view for image folders. I'm sure it supports newer hardware a lot better than Win98 does, too. As tabacco says, you will probably find that most of your games will work (or can be made to work) without any trouble (VDMSound is your friend for those troublesome DOS games), and you can always keep a minimal Win98 installation around for the few that don't.

I think WinXP gives you the option of setting up dual-booting with a previous version of Windows during the installation process, but don't quote me on that! If it doesn't give you the option, you can always set it up by editing boot.ini by hand - it's not too scary.

PS. In case you're not aware of it, XP has various 'compatibility modes' you can run your programs under, so XP can 'pretend' to be Win95, Win98, WinNT and so on. These seem to allow troublesome programs to overcome any incompatibilities, most of the time.

Last edited by Huz; 02-22-2004 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:30 AM   #4

Quote:
And DO NOT install WinME. It's a horrible, buggy piece of garbage.
Tell me about it.

For some odd reason Ragnar really likes it though.

Quote:
"Committing Adultery: A Harrowing Tale of Seduction"
by Me

You all know it's a sin to cheat on your SO -- your significant other -- but have you ever cheated on your OS? I just did, and I barely survived to tell the tale. I know I'll never do it again, but be that as it may, my OS may never take me back, may never respect or trust me again.

It all began when a friend handed me a shiny new disc labelled "Windows XP". Now, I've been running Windows ME both at home and at the office since that OS was released, and it's worked perfectly. Know how people love to knock Microsoft products? I'm the opposite. I never have any trouble with MS products, and my upgrades -- from DOS, through Windows 3.1, 95, 98, 98 SE, and ME -- have gone flawlessly, and in every case the upgrade was worth it. My system(s) worked faster, were more stable, better looking, and simply tuned to perfection.

My relationship with ME was, in other words, a harmonious one. We never fought. ME loved me. ME tended to my every need in an efficient and immediate manner. ME provided me with stable Internet access. ME started up in under five seconds, and shut down in one.

If a man could marry an OS, I'd have married Windows ME.

And then this new tart, this attractive young thing, this Windows XP, comes swaggering along, swinging its ample hips, displaying its, uh, ample bosom, blowing kisses my way...and I fall in love. It's not real love, not like with ME, but it awakens the beast in me. I want her...uh, I mean it. I want it on my system, now, immediately, not tomorrow, not in four months, but now.

So. I bring XP with me home (because lusty though I may be, I'm not stupid enough to flaunt my affair in the face of all my co-workers), and even though I'm feeling under the weather, I stay up past midnight while my shiny new OS installs.

It takes a long while. A long, long while. It takes, in fact, almost two hours.

When XP finally boots up, I soon learn that I've made a rash and rather idiotic decision. I've let my attraction for shiny new things guide me down a blind alley and into the arms of a mugger. But, see, I kind of deserve all this. Because: a) this wasn't my Beta copy, it's a copy of a Beta copy (and I expect the FBI to come knocking on my door any minute now), and b) the installation told me when I first started that my ISDN card wasn't compatible with its drivers.

But I went ahead with the upgrade anyway. Stupid me.

So when I boot up XP I realise the following:

1) Windows XP will only work for 14 days, at which point it will either need to be authorised (i.e. impossible, since this isn't my Beta copy, and it cannot be authorised), or removed from the system. Thanks for telling me now.

and

2) While I get my ISDN card to work, my normal Internet connection won't connect, and I'm forced to use a slow and expensive one that doesn't let me access my work-files.

Windows ME was kind to me; it never gave me trouble (not that I can remember, although time has a way of erasing old wounds; I'm sure that at this point next year I'll be shacked up with Windows XP, enjoying its many...joys, and praising its virtues to all who care to listen), and it certainly didn't demand authorisation. I mean, for God's sake, what's an honest software thief to do? Oh, hey, not "thief": a loveable rogue who just wanted to see what Microsoft had in wait for me, because I love them sooo, and I couldn't wait until October.

Except now I'm not sure I ever want to upgrade. See, ME might have been a plain looker in comparison. ME might not be as pretty or as smart or as (potentially) quick-witted as XP. But my relationship with ME was tried and tested. We had an understanding. We shared a deep and powerful love.

And now I've wasted that love.

I'm going to go back to ME, but it'll take a while for the wounds to heal. I have to reformat my hard-disk, find out where I put ME last (yes, I'm a negligent partner), and then spend the time needed to arrange everything the way it was...and that's going to take a long, long time.

Still, ME deserves it. I've committed adultery with another OS, and now I have to pay for my crimes.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:55 AM   #5
Friendly Server Admin

And don't forget DOSBox, too
Old 02-22-2004, 10:18 AM   #6
ACK!

Dual boot with XP it is then....

I remember I installed ME and returned to 98 in just a few days.... Not only did most of the DOS games stop working, even some Win 95 stopped working...

Oh well, it still need a few days to "clean" my second hard drive (a.k.a. move all the files I can to the other drive)...

There should be any trouble if I leave W98 in the primary drive and install XP in the secondary, right?
Old 02-22-2004, 10:43 AM   #7
Friendly Server Admin

Windows usually doesn't like to boot off any channel other than primary master. Why not just install them on the same drive? They coexist just fine as long as you don't convert the filesystem to NTFS during the XP install (and it does give you the option... just say no ). You can install it to a folder with a different name, like cwinxp and it will still work fine.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:20 PM   #8
ACK!

Quote:
Windows usually doesn't like to boot off any channel other than primary master. Why not just install them on the same drive? They coexist just fine as long as you don't convert the filesystem to NTFS during the XP install (and it does give you the option... just say no ). You can install it to a folder with a different name, like cwinxp and it will still work fine.
I wouldn't have to format it? That sounds so much simpler!
Old 02-22-2004, 12:25 PM   #9
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanukitsune
I wouldn't have to format it? That sounds so much simpler!
Nah. It'll say something like "you seem to have an existing windows installation in cwindows. Installation will remove this copy." at this point, you have the option to either remove the existing install or to install XP to a different directory. Do the second one
Old 02-22-2004, 01:29 PM   #10
Huz
Kersal Massive

Quote:
cwindows
This often seems strangely appropriate.

Remember that the very FIRST thing you need to do upon installing XP is to
a) enable the fairly lacking-in-features but strangely effective 'Internet Connection Firewall' and cower behind it as your only form of protection
b) download all the patches from Windows Update as soon as possible

Otherwise you'll be in Virus City within minutes. Fun eh?
Old 02-24-2004, 02:06 PM   #11
ACK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
This often seems strangely appropriate.

Remember that the very FIRST thing you need to do upon installing XP is to
a) enable the fairly lacking-in-features but strangely effective 'Internet Connection Firewall' and cower behind it as your only form of protection
b) download all the patches from Windows Update as soon as possible

Otherwise you'll be in Virus City within minutes. Fun eh?
How profetic, I just installed it and I already got the Blaster worm virus.....
I keep running the program thats supposed to delete it but it just reappears...

And I can't update either, the installation always closes without warning, maybe becuase of the virus maybe not....

I just give up.... Norton refuses to install too....

EDIT / UPDATE:
I got the blaster worm, Welchia and gaobot viruses in 24 hours!
I never got one in years and and now 3 in one day!
I'm pretty sure its the viruses that are not letting me install Norton, or using WIndows Update.....

Or my WIndows Installers is corrupted...

But I can isntall other programs...

Last edited by Tanukitsune; 02-25-2004 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:37 PM   #12
ACK!

Meh, I had to return to W98....

I noticed that all the viruses I got don't exist fo W98....

I'll try to install XP again... Maybe....
Old 02-26-2004, 12:17 PM   #13
Huz
Kersal Massive

Tee, another Microsoft success story. :~

I don't really know the solution to your virus problems, other than by using built-in Internet Connection Firewall thing until you can get on Windows Update (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com). You need to be logged on as Administrator to get into Windows Update, probably, if you've set yourself up with restricted accounts and all that 'fun' stuff.

tabacco can probably tell all.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:58 PM   #14
ACK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
Tee, another Microsoft success story. :~

I don't really know the solution to your virus problems, other than by using built-in Internet Connection Firewall thing until you can get on Windows Update (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com). You need to be logged on as Administrator to get into Windows Update, probably, if you've set yourself up with restricted accounts and all that 'fun' stuff.

tabacco can probably tell all.
I'm not returning to XP for a long time, specially since XP made me lose my secondary hard drive, the one with my documents, music, digital photos....
Or even worse I may have to buy another HD....
No secondary HD no secondary SO...
(Good thing I did that "I got 1300 games" thread and I added my file, now I don't have to make the spreedsheet form scratch...)