DomStLeger
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
Oh, she's so nice.
Now, isn't that nice!
How nice of you to say that!

I hate the word 'nice' it is such a flimsy word. It really means nothing. I guess I kill it completely through repetition... or perhaps I want it to ring in people's ears?

I guess I am disdainful towards suburban life because it seems so artificial to me - no less artificial though than the life of people who live in remodeled churches or warehouses in inner cities. My snobbish disgust is bred of personal experience. I am making as much fun of other people as I am of myself. And why is ridicule bad? Writing has to be pretty bland to be agreeable to everybody.
I agree with you, ridicule is a good weapon for a writer and it works well. I just felt that you were loosing the humour a little and leaning towards vitriol (though thats probably too strong a word, I just can't think of anything better). I do agree with intrepid, you shouldn't pander to your readers sensibilities, but equally it's a wasted oppertunity if, instead of encouraging your readers to see your take on things, you alienate them. I think it'd be a shame.

Maybe I'm just talking rubbish, I don't know. Anyway it's just my opinion, and it wouldn't stop me personally reading the rest. Overall I liked it, it is very funny and I'm glad you shared it with us. It was nice.
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!