View Single Post
Old 02-06-2004, 11:51 AM   #11
DomStLeger
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

I think I agree with Fairygdmther, she has some very good points. I especially agree that it comes across to the reader as being somewhat pretentious in it's negative take on the suburban lifestyle. While you're obviously welcome to your opinions, I think you risk alienating your reader by expressing them in a manner that comes across as too disdainful. For example, the use of Nice as if it were a dirty word works well at first but it's used so much that I eventually felt the humour was replaced by fatigue and a feeling that the reader is being told off for ever having thought nice is acceptable. I don't know if this is a good way of expressing it but when I'm reading I like to feel I'm in on the joke rather than being laughed at.

I liked the absurd style of humour alot though; for example "Michael B. always had a crick in his neck from compulsively grooming his lawn. Because of constant neck pain his eyes bulged and he ground his teeth.". Thats a real gift of yours Kingz and you demonstrate it well in this writing.

All in all I'd probably keep on reading but if I felt I was being preached at or told off for not agreeing with your take I'd probably stop. It's not the content of that message, it's just how it's being expressed.
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!