View Single Post
Old 06-12-2006, 05:26 AM   #232
MoriartyL
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

My username is just a small pun. My name is Mordechai, and I like to go by the nickname Mory. My middle name is Ariel (pronounced "Ah-ree-ehl"). So my name is Mory-Ariel. I thought it would be cute to call myself Moriarty-L. That's all there is to it.

My signature is there because I was sick of people calling me Moriarty. Because there is no pun in Moriarty without the L. So I figured, if people want to shorten my name, that's fine- they can call me Mory, like everyone else.

My title is pretty straightforward too. I'm an outsider by design and by choice. People might look at my title to ask me "Who are you?". So I answer: "I'm not like them!". (No matter who "they" are.)

My avatar is... um, wait a moment. [copy, paste]
My avatar has four levels of meaning. On the most basic level, it's just a pictorial representation of what I think is my defining statement: "I Am Not". That's an "I" on the left side, and an "M" on the right side ("M" = "am"), and both letters are inside the inequality sign ("≠"), meaning "not". On a psychological level, I am defined as a person attempting to separate himself from whoever he sees. That's why this simple statement is at the center of my symbolic face.

Taking the three colors into account, the avatar represents my basic philosophy. The blue is like the sky, symbolizing our looking up toward God, so the blue triangle represents religion, starting from a narrow perspective and getting wider as it goes up. That little red triangle at the bottom is man. (Red for obvious reasons.) Green is like nature, and so the green figure similar to mountain peaks represents science and our attempt to understand nature. Its shape is chaotic, random. But it makes sense in that everything stands on the lower parts, with the peak being supported by everything else. That's man again on the top- as far as science is concerned, he is the highest level of life. The two sides of the picture are completely separated from each other, but fit together seamlessly. This shows how science and religion must be understood together in order to see the whole picture in front of us.

Thirdly, my avatar refers to computer screens. If a face is what you see through, then my computer screen is certainly what I see through to the world I care about most. This reference can be seen in the fact that the three colors are red, green, and blue, but more importantly because the proportions of the inner rectangle are 4:3.

Finally, it tells what games I like, by identifying the design element I look for: exploration. It does so by referencing the mainstream game most devoted to exploration: Riven. The entire picture looks similar to a Rivenese numeral.