View Single Post
Old 06-04-2006, 07:37 AM   #39
Rowne

Another vote for Legend. I remember being entertained for many an hour by Eric the Unready, that game had a good grasp on what humour actually is. The other Legend games were good too. Indeed, anything made using that engine was pretty much awesome. I'm not sure whether Legend were responsible for it but it used the same engine; the Gateway series was another that I absolutely adored.

Gateway really managed to capture what it meant to be in an alien landscape, this is something that so few other games have managed to capture. Except perhaps for Darkseed (but that was ripping off Geiger, though admittedly just about everyone who does a horror Sci-fi does) and Dreamscape. Though Dreamscape was whacky (whackier than Japanese whacky) and not an adventure, per se.

What else is there? Hm. Oooh, Little Big Adventure. I can't say that that has the publicity that it deserves. It got released as something else in the US for reasons unknown (though I have my theories ... they mostly revolve around suit encrusted business-people being confused by the title, which is obviously so much the paradox), which thankfully took away from the game's incredible uniqueness only slightly. There wasn't anything like it before and there hasn't been anything like it since. French developers, I love you.

Finally, I want to add my heartfelt commendation of Inherit the Earth - the little game that almost could. It dared to be bold and different in a time when people were freaking out about bold and different. It was reduced to mostly a kiddie game thanks to that but it's still a highly entertaining romp.