You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Best lesser-known adventure game?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2006, 01:16 AM   #21
Schattenjaeger wannabe

I've never even heard of The Neverhood and Duckman. I don't think you get too much more lesser known. Although I haven't heard of any of Gordon's either.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:18 AM   #22
Master of time and space

How about Feeble files ?
Old 06-01-2006, 03:18 AM   #23
Easily amused

Some older obscure games that were a lot of fun:
Chaos: a Fantasy Adventure (recommended by BJ)
Cracking the Conspiracy (hone up on Roswell)
Secret of the Luxor (more ways to die than you will ever see in one game)
Ripper (a great cheesy FMV game; how can you lose with Christopher Walken?)
Physicus/Chemicus/Bioscopia (great for the science fanatic)
Legends of the Prophet and Assassin (a thought provoking plot about redemption)

Newer games:
Last Half of Darkness (spooky and atmosphereic)
Rhem (a puzzler's delight)
Old 06-01-2006, 08:03 AM   #24

Obsidian, one of the best puzzle oriented adventures out there. The developer went out of business after making it, unfortunately, and it's a relatively rare game. But it's one of my personal top three adventures. Some of the best designed puzzles anywhere, very creative.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:22 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Bennett
Quantum Gate and Vortex: Quantum Gate II. FMV adventures from the same developer as the X-files game, using an earlier version of the same engine. The intricate and sometimes vague sci-fi plot might be seen by some as being heavy-handed and preachy, (which, admittedly, it is) but I quite liked it, and it isn't without comic relief. Also, the acting and direction are of a much higher quality than most similar games.
Ew, ew EW! Quantum Gate was hideous. Horrible acting, horrible plot, not fun, just bad. BAAAD.

As for a good, lesser known Adventure, how about the first Clock Tower for SNES? Super good, and freaky too.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:40 AM   #26
self-distracted

Send a message via MSN to maladroid

Toonstruck
Manhunter 1 & 2 (though they don't play as pure adventures, kinda crawling with arcade sequences)
Faust: Seven Games of the Soul

Gotta agree with Zork: Grand Inquisitor by the way, very well-crafted, enjoyable game.

Proud supporter of Tex Murphy - Project Fedora
Old 06-01-2006, 10:01 AM   #27

I think that all my favorite lesser-known advenure games have been cited...

My own favorite is of course Death Gate, follwed closely by Cahallan's Crosstime Saloon, also by Legend. Gateway, again by Legend, albeit very old and thus requiring some typing, is excellent, and so is the more recent Mission Critical.

Otherwise, well, there are Dune, Commander Blood, Dragonsphere, and Feeble Files.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:05 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Type
Every single game from Legend Entertainment, especially Eric the Unerady, DeathGate, TimeQuest, Callahans Crosstime Saloon and Gateway series.
Oh yes, Eric is great too. I haven't manage to get into Time Quest, though.

EDIT: And there's also Shannara, which is a little below the others, but still very enjoyable.

And someone else mentioned Oblivion, er, I mean Obsidian, which is indeed a gem.

And I need to stop making spelling mistakes each time I post about CahlallanCahallanCallahan's Crosstime Saloon.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:12 AM   #29
Master of time and space

How about
Outcast
Omikron - The nomad soul
Beyond Good and Evil
Anachronox
Fallout
Torment

But then we're not really talking adventure games at all in the traditional sense.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:15 AM   #30

Default me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG
How about
Outcast
Omikron - The nomad soul
Beyond Good and Evil
Anachronox
Fallout
Torment

But then we're not really talking adventure games at all in the traditional sense.
The Nomad Soul is an adventure game, in my opinion, though barely so.

And yes, all these games are brilliant, and "adventure gamers friendly".
Anachronox is probably my favorite of the bunch...
Old 06-01-2006, 11:41 AM   #31

Quote:
With a name like "Death Gate", and being that I had never heard of it, my expectations really couldn't have been much lower. But low and behold, the game is really phenominal on all levels. Great art / graphics for the time (still looks great today), amazing integration of sensical and interesting puzzles that still require thought. And a truly fascinating setting, plot, and many interesting places to visit and characters to talk with.
If you enjoyed the game, you should go read the books. I was somewhat disappointed in Death Gate because the books are wonderful. It is a seven book series by the excellent Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. The first book is called Dragon Wing.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:56 AM   #32
Flatulent Philanthropist

I'll second the action/adventure . . . .

Outcast - super game !

I'd like to add to the list of good, lesser-knowns,

Monet And The Mystery Of The Orangery
The Feeble Files
and the Indie games Last Half Of Darkness : Shadows Of The Servants and Out Of Order.

There are more, but I forget.

Is Discworld Noir lesser known ? Anyway . . . . it's a cracker !
Old 06-01-2006, 12:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebkin
If you enjoyed the game, you should go read the books. I was somewhat disappointed in Death Gate because the books are wonderful. It is a seven book series by the excellent Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. The first book is called Dragon Wing.
I had been dying to get my hands on Death Gate after seeing some screenshots for a long time before I stumbled upon the series of books. Funnily enough, it was some time after I read the books (and not long before I finally got to play the game) that I realised that the game Death Gate and the series "Les portes de la mort" (the gates of death), as it was translated here, were the same thing.

And I loved the game after having read and loved the books.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:58 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkerTails
Ew, ew EW! Quantum Gate was hideous. Horrible acting, horrible plot, not fun, just bad. BAAAD.
I liked it. I freely admit that my tastes often lie somewhere outside the mainstream, of course. I like FMV. I simply *adore* interactive movies. I am sure that many people will detest some of the games that I love.

I've considered separating my recommendations into games that are good that I like, and games that are probably not terribly good that I like. I know that I have certainly played more than enough games to know quality and lack of quality when I see it.

Let's see what else I can think of that I enjoyed, both good and bad:

Connections. Myst clone based on the documentary series by James Burke. Not a great game, but a good experience for anyone interested in the history of technology.

Elroy Goes Bugzerk/Elroy Hits the Pavement. Excellent kids' adventure games with absolutely gorgeous visual design. It looks like paper cutouts and scanned photographs, all done with superb aesthetics.

L-Zone. Barely a game at all, more of an interactive art piece. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Go through several zones playing with various machines and things, then move on.

Gadget: From the same artist as L-Zone. Very much the same, but with a more developed story and artistic style. Quite engaging if you happen to like puzzle-less adventures.

Toonstruck. I don't know if this counts as obscure. Hilariously vulgar comedy.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:04 AM   #35
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Bennett
I liked it. I freely admit that my tastes often lie somewhere outside the mainstream, of course. I like FMV. I simply *adore* interactive movies.
Me too! Me too!

Quote:
L-Zone. Barely a game at all, more of an interactive art piece. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Go through several zones playing with various machines and things, then move on.

Gadget: From the same artist as L-Zone. Very much the same, but with a more developed story and artistic style. Quite engaging if you happen to like puzzle-less adventures.
And of course Alice: An Interactive Museum by the same developers. Different type of game than L-zone and Gadget, but Haruhiko Shono's style is easily recognized.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:53 AM   #36
I'm complicated

Send a message via MSN to smashing

Death Gate is lesser known? How come it's like one of the most anticipated title back in the 90s amongst my circle of friends?

Yes Death Gate is a good game. It doesn't really matches up to the imagination of the first six books in the series, but the mechanics of the game is just so ingenious. I definitely think the creator of the DS game Lost Magic, definitely got their inspiration from Death Gate...

I think the lesser known (adventure?) game Bureau 13 was quite cool too...
Old 06-03-2006, 06:56 PM   #37
Schattenjaeger wannabe

I thought of another great one. Snatcher, which is probably only not well known because its only non-Japanese release was on the Sega-CD. Phenominal game, worth downloading a Sega-CD emulator just to play, like I did.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:19 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashing
Death Gate is lesser known? How come it's like one of the most anticipated title back in the 90s amongst my circle of friends?
It was never translated into french... All I've seen about it was a small (shining) review in a magazine that made me sweat. But I had to wait 6 years or so to put my hands on it.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:37 AM   #39

Another vote for Legend. I remember being entertained for many an hour by Eric the Unready, that game had a good grasp on what humour actually is. The other Legend games were good too. Indeed, anything made using that engine was pretty much awesome. I'm not sure whether Legend were responsible for it but it used the same engine; the Gateway series was another that I absolutely adored.

Gateway really managed to capture what it meant to be in an alien landscape, this is something that so few other games have managed to capture. Except perhaps for Darkseed (but that was ripping off Geiger, though admittedly just about everyone who does a horror Sci-fi does) and Dreamscape. Though Dreamscape was whacky (whackier than Japanese whacky) and not an adventure, per se.

What else is there? Hm. Oooh, Little Big Adventure. I can't say that that has the publicity that it deserves. It got released as something else in the US for reasons unknown (though I have my theories ... they mostly revolve around suit encrusted business-people being confused by the title, which is obviously so much the paradox), which thankfully took away from the game's incredible uniqueness only slightly. There wasn't anything like it before and there hasn't been anything like it since. French developers, I love you.

Finally, I want to add my heartfelt commendation of Inherit the Earth - the little game that almost could. It dared to be bold and different in a time when people were freaking out about bold and different. It was reduced to mostly a kiddie game thanks to that but it's still a highly entertaining romp.