View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 07:03 PM   #1
Rayvielle

Send a message via AIM to Rayvielle Send a message via MSN to Rayvielle
Default Revolutionary Possibilities.

I'm not certain how deeply this topic has been discussed on the forum, so I apologise if I'm recreating something here. It's quite clear that Nintendo's latest announcement has divided the gaming world. Some think it is exceptional, and cannot wait to play Nintendo's next generation games. Others think it is gimmicky and will be the final flop that breaks a companies back.

Truth be told, I was already a Nintendo fan before the announcement, and after it, I became a bigger one. It takes a lot of guts to introduce something like this when competing against economical giants like Microsoft and Sony. It is likely the console will have a poor release day. I highly doubt it will rake in the sales that Sony's Spiderstation 3 will get in the Spring. (Having said that, I would imagine the Japanese will lap this one up, above Microsoft and Sony's pups.)

However, I feel this will totally change the way we play games. I think that when Metroid Prime 3 is released, and people see how these kinds of games can play on the Revolution, well...there'll be a lot of developers wanting Nintendo's name on a contract. Not to mention how future Zelda titles will fare. That's my opinion, at least...

Since this is an adventure games forum, I want to explore adventuring possibilities on this system. From what I can gather about the controller, it seems plausible to bring your Myst games over, as well as your point and click efforts. Even these sorts of games will play very differently. Though the Analog stick, and the mouse give us a great freedom (game providing, of course), the way this controller is handled and manuevered will make the experience, all the more immersive. What about actually being the person on screen, in a first person mode, and the movement of the controller, can bring your hands to life in the virtual realm? Maybe the controller's movement could carry virtual body weight, and walk the next generation's Indiana Jones through the streets of Monte Carlo? Perhaps your protagonist might have to swing on a vine to cross a ledge, and whether he makes it, depends on how much is going into the swing of your arm. Maybe the speed in which you move the controller forward, could determine a knockout punch, or to stop your arm getting burnt in a fire, while retrieving an artifact?

What I am wondering is, do you see this as a good platform for adventure titles? For me, at least, I feel an adventure is all about interactivity. Interacting with bold new Worlds, experiencing them, immersing yourself in thoughts, perceiving all that you see around you. I feel this console will bring gamers a lot closer to the virtual realm that unfolds on the screen before them.

Perhaps you can envisage some scenarios that developers could bring to the system, taking full advantage of the peripherals Nintendo are providing?

Sorry for rambling, it's getting late, I should sleep. .