You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Revolutionary Possibilities.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2005, 07:03 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Rayvielle Send a message via MSN to Rayvielle
Default Revolutionary Possibilities.

I'm not certain how deeply this topic has been discussed on the forum, so I apologise if I'm recreating something here. It's quite clear that Nintendo's latest announcement has divided the gaming world. Some think it is exceptional, and cannot wait to play Nintendo's next generation games. Others think it is gimmicky and will be the final flop that breaks a companies back.

Truth be told, I was already a Nintendo fan before the announcement, and after it, I became a bigger one. It takes a lot of guts to introduce something like this when competing against economical giants like Microsoft and Sony. It is likely the console will have a poor release day. I highly doubt it will rake in the sales that Sony's Spiderstation 3 will get in the Spring. (Having said that, I would imagine the Japanese will lap this one up, above Microsoft and Sony's pups.)

However, I feel this will totally change the way we play games. I think that when Metroid Prime 3 is released, and people see how these kinds of games can play on the Revolution, well...there'll be a lot of developers wanting Nintendo's name on a contract. Not to mention how future Zelda titles will fare. That's my opinion, at least...

Since this is an adventure games forum, I want to explore adventuring possibilities on this system. From what I can gather about the controller, it seems plausible to bring your Myst games over, as well as your point and click efforts. Even these sorts of games will play very differently. Though the Analog stick, and the mouse give us a great freedom (game providing, of course), the way this controller is handled and manuevered will make the experience, all the more immersive. What about actually being the person on screen, in a first person mode, and the movement of the controller, can bring your hands to life in the virtual realm? Maybe the controller's movement could carry virtual body weight, and walk the next generation's Indiana Jones through the streets of Monte Carlo? Perhaps your protagonist might have to swing on a vine to cross a ledge, and whether he makes it, depends on how much is going into the swing of your arm. Maybe the speed in which you move the controller forward, could determine a knockout punch, or to stop your arm getting burnt in a fire, while retrieving an artifact?

What I am wondering is, do you see this as a good platform for adventure titles? For me, at least, I feel an adventure is all about interactivity. Interacting with bold new Worlds, experiencing them, immersing yourself in thoughts, perceiving all that you see around you. I feel this console will bring gamers a lot closer to the virtual realm that unfolds on the screen before them.

Perhaps you can envisage some scenarios that developers could bring to the system, taking full advantage of the peripherals Nintendo are providing?

Sorry for rambling, it's getting late, I should sleep. .
Old 12-06-2005, 08:25 PM   #2
guybrush_guy

i share the same fealing that you do. i cant wait to see what nintendo is doing with their new console, and dont worry about rambeling thats what forums are all about

Old 12-06-2005, 11:38 PM   #3
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Yah, Myst would be a dream with this controller. But not much chance of that happening, what with Cyan abandoning the series and all. Oh well.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:40 PM   #4
Epinionated.

Wow, think outside of the box a bit more Moriarty! You surely must mean an updated, new Myst game and not just a refix of the original? From what I've seen the Revolution will allow for innovation in AG's if it's anything like how the DS is realising adventure.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:01 AM   #5
Not like them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Wow, think outside of the box a bit more Moriarty! You surely must mean an updated, new Myst game and not just a refix of the original?
Of course. As I said, it's not looking likely what with Cyan proclaiming that Myst V is the last one. But if Myst V is ported to "RVN" (almost as unlikely), I'll probably get it. I mean, playing with the remote's movement and D-pad would be so much more comfortable than mouse and keyboard.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:05 AM   #6
Not like them!

Oh, and I'm not really sure how regular adventure games could be made better with the remote. It's designed for very direct control, which isn't necessarily a good idea for an adventure. It's not like the DS's dual screens, with which it was instantly obvious just how much better adventures could be. I imagine most adventure games for Revolution (assuming there will be any at all, and that's a big assumption) will use the exact same interfaces they used on the PC, with an on-screen interface that can be "clicked" on.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:18 AM   #7
Epinionated.

Why is pointing a cursor onto the screen any different than using a mouse? It's surely more direct without the disparity between your movements on a flat surface and their replication on a monitor in front of you. And you're assuming I'm with you on the whole direct control / p'n'c argument.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:35 AM   #8
gin soaked boy

The new controller will be good for classic point & click, but it's a big question how many new p&c games we'll see on Revolution. The thing is, the controller can (and probably will) be used for so much more, Rayvielle gave us some examples. Action-wary adventure gamers could be even more turned off by those games - now they'll have to mimic the actions in real life.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:36 AM   #9
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
Action-wary adventure gamers could be even more turned off by those games - now they'll have to mimic the actions in real life.
Jeezus Cripes. Talk about being truly lazy.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 12-07-2005, 12:53 AM   #10
gin soaked boy

On the other hand, if implemented right, action sequences could actually feel more natural and be much easier to pull off. So action-wary adventure gamers might finally become a thing of past.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:32 AM   #11
After 2 years...

Revolution is surely heading out to be a revolution to the whole gaming, without distinguishing genres.

People even talk about new ways of beat-me-ups .
you are in a
Dreamfall
Old 12-07-2005, 02:59 AM   #12
Not like them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Why is pointing a cursor onto the screen any different than using a mouse? It's surely more direct without the disparity between your movements on a flat surface and their replication on a monitor in front of you. And you're assuming I'm with you on the whole direct control / p'n'c argument.
Huh? When did I ever assume you agreed with me on anything?
Old 12-07-2005, 02:50 PM   #13
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

It's going to be pretty interesting in the upcoming years with Revolution coming out and all.

Just today I talked with two my friends about the Revolution and we all agreed that it quite simply is the hottest gaming machine in the horizon for us.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:13 PM   #14

What I like the most, is that Nintendo are very adamant that this will not be a direct competitor to either the PS3 or X360, in terms of machine specification. It's going to do all that it needs to do, and not throw 1,000000000000000000 polygons at you. The rumor is, the machine may not even see stores until Christmas 2006.

Also, it has a back library available for it, that is pretty difficult to top.

It's going to be amazing to see just what they can acheive with this system.

For those in the least bit interested, IGN.com have now made a "Revolution" channel, where you can play with the controller and get a small idea of how it works, if you're still a bit in the dark.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:15 PM   #15

Addendum to above message.

That seemed a LOT of smilies for a small message...
Old 12-09-2005, 08:36 AM   #16

i have had a hard time imagining "revolutions" outside of gesture based ones. There is the fact that its more conducive to 3D. But most innovations have been purely gesture based, all it seems like is a different way to play the same thing, because all those described actions can be done on a controller as well. Though its ease is something to be aware of.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:51 AM   #17

Quote:
all it seems like is a different way to play the same thing, because all those described actions can be done on a controller as well.
What about the new things?