View Single Post
Old 12-04-2003, 08:25 PM   #4
Bard09
Babbling as Usual

Thanks for the comments, guys!

I am actually not that down on the control scheme as it may have sounded. I got used to it relatively quickly. I only put it into my review because of my concern for people who wanted to play the game strictly in one fashion or another.

The WSAD scheme familiar to FPS players isn't perfect because strafing in Uru acts differently than in FPS games. On the other side of the coin, some people really wanted to play the game with a mouse (it was in a thread from a few days ago) which, although possible in most portions of the game, was cumbersome for performing the jump sequences.

So in playing the game, I found an easy compromise between the controls and camera perspectives that I quickly grew comfortable with. But I did have to make a compromise.... and just wanted to put that into my review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyos
I loved the part in Garsheen when you get out of the elevator.... I literally gawped! It was so unexpected, and so beautiful....
I know what you mean! I avoided that age initially because it looked so cramped from the image in the book. When I "saw the light" (figuratively speaking, of course) it really blew me away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacardiJim
I would have used almost exactly the same words... except for Gahreeson, which made me feel claustrophobic for the longest time... then gave me vertigo when I reached the top of the prison. Seriously, some people may need Dramamine to deal with this part, as you are on a rotating building looking out over a vast landscape and that spins past your vision as you attempt to move straight forward... to look at another rotating building. My girlfriend got nauseous and had to leave the room until I succeeded at making the jump off the roof.
I also felt a little queasy during the revolving portions of Gahreesan. I wasn't sure if it was my moniter (a 60 Hz refresh rate is often too slow for my eyes) or the game. I'm glad to hear it wasn't my hardware this time around.