You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Reader Reviews Uru thoughts.. a kind of review

View Poll Results: What was your favorite age?
Teledahn 1 14.29%
Gahreesan 1 14.29%
The Eder ages 2 28.57%
Kadeesh 3 42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2003, 01:45 PM   #1
Babbling as Usual

Default Uru thoughts.. a kind of review

I'm not sure if this is the best topic for this post, but I just wanted to air some of my thoughts upon completing Uru: Ages Beyond Myst's single-player portion.

Let me say that I have played to completion all prior Myst games. In addition, I've read three of Rand Miller's Myst books. I own a really ghetto first issue of the Myst comic book and a "Making of Riven" coffee table book. Yes-- although I don't like the term very much, I am a Myst geek.

To be honest, I hadn't planned on purchasing Uru until I joined this forum. It seemed like a half-hearted attempt at milking the franchise with a MMOG. The concept seemed original, but it wasn't (at that time) going to be enough to get me to pay for an online game. But after a few days-- presumably to Garyos' postive enthusiam-- I couldn't stand it and ordered a copy for myself.

The first thing I was surprised with was the graphics. I have a pretty beefy system and the game looks fantastic. It was obvious that Cyan put a significant amount of work into making the textures look as detailed as possible. The 3D geometry of the Uru world is less detailed than the Unreal 2003 engine, but it still looks wonderful when covered with such rich textures.

Contrary to BacardiJim's review in his Uru Diaries #1 (we can agree to disagree on this), I believe that the world does indeed feel like Myst. There were many times during gameplay that I would stop and think about how the environmens would have looked in Riven or even Exile. There is not much difference from the 3D worlds of Uru and the 2D worlds of the earlier Myst games, IMO. The fantastic visual stylings are back, and the excellent texturing of the engine helps to make it all happen.

I'd read some reviews of Uru prior to purchasing it and already knew about the mixed bag-of-a-control scheme. I agree; it is awkward. It's clear that Cyan had to compromise with people coming off of the earlier mouse-controlled Myst games and those coming from WSAD-controlled first-person shooters. A post earlier in this forum mentioned that it would have been better to commit to one scheme or the other, and I wholeheartedly agree. Nonetheless, you eventually figure out how to best control your character and maneuvering becomes pretty effortless.

Enough has been said about the avatar creation system, really. I like it a lot. It was really fun trying to create a digital-likeness of myself, even if I do look like I'm twenty years older than I am. Although I know Cyan will add more clothing styles, I also hope they add more hairstyles. One look at my character and I feel fifty.

Anyways, I should be talking about the gameplay! This is the reason I really wanted to write this post. I really want to compare notes with the rest of you on your opinions of the ages. Here are my thoughts:

**Possible spoilers ahead**

Teledahn: This was the first age I completed, and the one that reminded me most of earlier Myst games. In my opinion, Teledahn had the most goal-oriented puzzles, which made the age a lot more cohesive. It also had the most back-story of the ages. Although it is not my favorite, I think Teledahn is the best example of how the puzzles in Uru should work (at best). Then again, I lucked out on the kick-the-bridge part

Kadeesh: I immediately fell in love with this age. Although it is the most linear (and the most annoying) of the ages, the visual style was exsquisite. The "hint room" really reminded me of some of the portraits of Gehn in the earlier Myst games. Nonetheless, I felt that Kadeesh's puzzles were poorly-implemented for the game. Although it was possible to solve most using the "find what is missing" perspective, Kadeesh's puzzles had absolutely no feedback to what you were actually doing. It would have been nice to have the plates in the light-room depress when you walked on them. I spent multiple hours in that room, because I didn't even know if I was walking aimlessly or if I was solving a puzzle. Awkward design decision. The honeycomb room was also obnoxious because it incorporated symbols from three different areas in the hint room, two of which were irrelevant. Again it suffered from the lack of tangible response. The plates should have depressed in that room as well. All in all, Kadeesh was my favorite age and also the one I hated the most. Ironic...

The Eder ages: Yes, the kicking baskets thing was ludicrous. The fireflies thing was also irritating. The game gives you no indication that fireflies can be transported through books, which is why I had to resort to hint-boards for the solution. Other than that, I feel that the Eder ages were well-designed. I especially liked the look of the waterfalls and the look of the Brain trees.

Gaharessan: I played this age last. Although the puzzles are not as memorable as any of the other ages, this age made me utterly thrilled for the possibilities of Uru: Live. I'm not sure what it was, but as the age progressed, you can just feel yourself being a part of something larger, greater. It's easy to see the second garrison as a competitive arena of some sort in Live. The outdoor vistas in this area were second to none. I almost spent as much time looking at them as I did in Kadeesh!

**End spoilers**

I feel that Uru's single player portion did an admirable job at creating a range of puzzles that could challenge anyone, regardless of their gaming history. I doubt any one person has surfed through Uru: Prime without help. Most adventure gamers probably had trouble with the jumping sequences, yet they probably flew through the difficult puzzles of Kadeesh or Teledahn. Newer gamers who could have handled the jumping with ease probably had to break out a notepad a few times on their own. I generally liked the range of puzzles in Uru, even if kicking baskets was a poor decision.

As I continued through the game, it really occured to me what an excellent decision it was for Cyan/Ubisoft to turn Myst into a MMOG, especially the first adventure-oriented one. The Myst world, with its incredible history in books and computer games, is absolutely fit for a MMOG. The decision by Cyan to keep the in-character speak in use on the website, forums, and game is also really progressive. They have even incorporated real-life history into the game, which amazes me. Robyn and Rand Miller apparantly visited D'Ni in their day, and created Myst as a showcase of their experienecs. Cyan/Ubisoft masquerade as the DRC, or D'Ni Restoration Council. These easy mneumonics are great ways for inexperienced people to stay in character and I can see it being a major boon for Uru: Live.

I'm going to wrap this "review" up by saying that despite an awkward interface and some poorly-written puzzles, Uru: Prime was an excellent game that turned a disbeliever into someone drooling for Uru: Live.

That is all! [How's that for my first game review?]
Old 12-04-2003, 02:32 PM   #2
Banned User

Well, as you know, I disagree with you somewhat on the look of URU. Not whether or not it is gorgeous (I did call it the most beautiful 3D environment I'd ever seen) but whether or not it felt like "Myst." I also have to quibble with you about the control interface. I found it an absolute breeze both to learn and to use and I think Cyan did a great job in providing a lot of flexibility, considering the different types of movements a character is forced to make. (For instance, sometimes you will absolutely HAVE to sidestep or look down at your feet or something and the controls let you easily adapt to any of the necessary movements.)

But I think you are absolutely 100% on the money in your descriptions of the four Ages. You went into more detail about them than I could in my article, but I would have used almost exactly the same words... except for Gahreeson, which made me feel claustrophobic for the longest time... then gave me vertigo when I reached the top of the prison. Seriously, some people may need Dramamine to deal with this part, as you are on a rotating building looking out over a vast landscape and that spins past your vision as you attempt to move straight forward... to look at another rotating building. My girlfriend got nauseous and had to leave the room until I succeeded at making the jump off the roof. However, I do agree that I am looking forward to playing "wargames" in the other building.

Overall, a pretty accurate overview, Bard.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:59 PM   #3
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

An excellent review! I agree on most accounts - except about the controls, which I too found quite easy to use after a little while.

I loved the part in Garsheen when you get out of the elevator.... I literally gawped! It was so unexpected, and so beautiful....
Old 12-04-2003, 08:25 PM   #4
Babbling as Usual

Thanks for the comments, guys!

I am actually not that down on the control scheme as it may have sounded. I got used to it relatively quickly. I only put it into my review because of my concern for people who wanted to play the game strictly in one fashion or another.

The WSAD scheme familiar to FPS players isn't perfect because strafing in Uru acts differently than in FPS games. On the other side of the coin, some people really wanted to play the game with a mouse (it was in a thread from a few days ago) which, although possible in most portions of the game, was cumbersome for performing the jump sequences.

So in playing the game, I found an easy compromise between the controls and camera perspectives that I quickly grew comfortable with. But I did have to make a compromise.... and just wanted to put that into my review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyos
I loved the part in Garsheen when you get out of the elevator.... I literally gawped! It was so unexpected, and so beautiful....
I know what you mean! I avoided that age initially because it looked so cramped from the image in the book. When I "saw the light" (figuratively speaking, of course) it really blew me away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacardiJim
I would have used almost exactly the same words... except for Gahreeson, which made me feel claustrophobic for the longest time... then gave me vertigo when I reached the top of the prison. Seriously, some people may need Dramamine to deal with this part, as you are on a rotating building looking out over a vast landscape and that spins past your vision as you attempt to move straight forward... to look at another rotating building. My girlfriend got nauseous and had to leave the room until I succeeded at making the jump off the roof.
I also felt a little queasy during the revolving portions of Gahreesan. I wasn't sure if it was my moniter (a 60 Hz refresh rate is often too slow for my eyes) or the game. I'm glad to hear it wasn't my hardware this time around.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard09
I am actually not that down on the control scheme as it may have sounded. I got used to it relatively quickly. I only put it into my review because of my concern for people who wanted to play the game strictly in one fashion or another.
Oh, come on Bard, and here I was thinking: at last somebody agrees that the controls are awkward!
Come on, one get used to them after a while, but some feature are just bizarre.
For example, why put the space bar as jump? It means you have to use both your hands to direct the character with the direction keys and to jump. And then you have to go back to the mouse to look around.
And looking around... why didn't they implement this feature as in any FPS: you look around when you move your mouse. Now you have to click and then mouve the mouse, which sometimes make you move forward, thus falling to your death.
The controls are not horrible, but they could have been easily better.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:23 PM   #6
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

Gahreesan (Garrison... goodness, what a clever play on words!) > Everything else.

Can't wait to try Uru Live...
Old 12-14-2003, 12:44 PM   #7

For now I've only been through Gahreesan and Teledahn, and even though Gahreesan had some incredibly beautiful views (I love the outside), it didn't felt very coherent to me, regarding the puzzles (one "real" puzzle, and the rest was a game of hide and seek, as BJ said), and there also was one situation in which I got stuck forever
Spoiler:
That's when you have to go back to Teledahn; I really had no idea the Ages could be inter-dependant.
I had to use a walkthrough here, which I find annoying, considering how I loved going through the puzzles in Teledahn.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:51 PM   #8
merely human

I personally find it really corny how Uru fans screw around with their real names trying so damn hard to make them look.....ooh, so exotic, by adding things like apostrophes and extra vowels and such. I mean, come on, be completely inventive and create a truly original identity!

MahRE'ah (Maria)
Roah'burt (Robert)
Jee' sohn (Jason)

platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 12-15-2003, 12:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I personally find it really corny how Uru fans screw around with their real names trying so damn hard to make them look.....ooh, so exotic, by adding things like apostrophes and extra vowels and such. I mean, come on, be completely inventive and create a truly original identity!

MahRE'ah (Maria)
Roah'burt (Robert)
Jee' sohn (Jason)

You do realise that you're an evil man, right?
Old 12-15-2003, 01:06 AM   #10
merely human

Tell me something I don't know.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien