View Single Post
Old 12-04-2003, 02:32 PM   #2
BacardiJim
Banned User

Well, as you know, I disagree with you somewhat on the look of URU. Not whether or not it is gorgeous (I did call it the most beautiful 3D environment I'd ever seen) but whether or not it felt like "Myst." I also have to quibble with you about the control interface. I found it an absolute breeze both to learn and to use and I think Cyan did a great job in providing a lot of flexibility, considering the different types of movements a character is forced to make. (For instance, sometimes you will absolutely HAVE to sidestep or look down at your feet or something and the controls let you easily adapt to any of the necessary movements.)

But I think you are absolutely 100% on the money in your descriptions of the four Ages. You went into more detail about them than I could in my article, but I would have used almost exactly the same words... except for Gahreeson, which made me feel claustrophobic for the longest time... then gave me vertigo when I reached the top of the prison. Seriously, some people may need Dramamine to deal with this part, as you are on a rotating building looking out over a vast landscape and that spins past your vision as you attempt to move straight forward... to look at another rotating building. My girlfriend got nauseous and had to leave the room until I succeeded at making the jump off the roof. However, I do agree that I am looking forward to playing "wargames" in the other building.

Overall, a pretty accurate overview, Bard.