Thread: RIP Rosa Parks
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2005, 05:23 AM   #1
gillyruless

Default RIP Rosa Parks

On the surface, it might seem funny that one of the American women whom I respect the most is a seamstress with a criminal record. That is until I tell you that her name is Rosa Parks. Rosa Parks changed the world that we all live in forever by refusing to give up her seat on the bus to a white man, something that is so simple yet required an enormous amount of courage. She not only sparked the movement that challenged the segregation and jump started the Civil Rights movement in America but also taught all of us the power of peaceful civil disobedience and how the people banded together for a common purpose could actually change the world for better.

Rosa Parks, mother of the civil right movement, a simple yet great American died yesterday at 92. In 2002, at a celebration to honor her she said:

"I am leaving this legacy to all of you ... to bring peace, justice, equality, love and a fulfillment of what our lives should be. Without vision, the people will perish, and without courage and inspiration, dreams will die — the dream of freedom and peace."

RIP Rosa Parks, as a prominent black politician said, you stood up by sitting down, I'm only standing here because of you.