View Single Post
Old 08-22-2005, 01:43 PM   #10
Aurebesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Not another "purist/traditional" adventure gamer.

Look, the only new thing to adventure games is the words "pure and traditional", as "pure and traditional" didn't exist up until 1999/2000. Games like Sam and Max, Bad Mojo, Future Wars, Indiana Jones, Hero Quest and a billion others were neither "pure" or "traditional". Those two words are used as a reaction to the introduction of 3D via action games and the dissapation of the AG genre as it was known then back in 1999. They were coined by frustrated AG'ers who decided to define the genre into a really restrictive umbrella and be damned anyone who argued with them. As much as I like a good few of the non-action or direction control based point and clickers after this period, there was nothing "pure and traditional" about them.

Don't get me started.
All the games you mentioned, excpet Bad Mojo, are the real thing as far as I'm concerned. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the word "pure", but TLJ was just that. And it was great. I loved all the games you mentioned, even though they were not "DOTT pure". These games were never the problem, they were only a little different than the "normal" adventure game, and, while in some occasions I wished they were a little "purer", none of them lacked the "feel" that an aventure game should have.
Then games like Myst and Alone in the Dark started coming out (befre 1999, as you must know), and later, 3D action/adventures. Those weren't "the real thing" anymore. And they shouldn't dominate the Hype-o-Meter. A genre can evolve, but it can also CHANGE. And that's not good.