You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Vampyre Story Screenshot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2005, 01:46 PM   #1
Can I get a what...what!?

Default Vampyre Story Screenshot

Man that last screenshot from Vampyre Story has me excited. The artistic direction reminds me of Nightmare Before Christmas.

I was looking at the background, and the town architecture reminded me of the town in Curse of Monkey island. Definately my most anticipated upcoming adventure game!
Old 08-21-2005, 02:54 PM   #2

Ah, The Nightmare before Christmas, my favorite film of all time.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Peepers
Definately my most anticipated upcoming adventure game!
Yeah, mine too. I really don't understand how it's only at #9 out of 10 in the Hype-o-Meter! It should definitely be at #1!! And if I'm at it, Runaway 2 should be at #2, and then maybe Dreamfall desreves #3 (but I'm not sure because it seems they "de-adventurized" it).
Old 08-21-2005, 08:17 PM   #4
Can I get a what...what!?

Now there would be a good adventure game adaptation - i could imagine a shitty platformer coming out of it, but all the different environments. Building christmas, and then the girls trying to sabotage jack's plans... mmmm... so many opportunities for contextual, environmental puzzles.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:31 PM   #5
I'm complicated

Send a message via MSN to smashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurebesh
Yeah, mine too. I really don't understand how it's only at #9 out of 10 in the Hype-o-Meter! It should definitely be at #1!! And if I'm at it, Runaway 2 should be at #2, and then maybe Dreamfall desreves #3 (but I'm not sure because it seems they "de-adventurized" it).
I don't agree with you at all. Dreamfall and Fahrenheit are deservedly #1 and #2 on the Hype-O-Meter, due to a number of reasons:
(1) They are games from the same developer which gave us masterpieces like TLJ and Nomad Soul;
(2) They have been in development for years, and they are finally going to the market soon. Very soon.
(3) The release dates, being ever so close, also spur up more marketing effort to hype them up with trailers and demo released.

Thus, they are definitely much more hyped up in relation to the development in progress Runaway 2 and Vampyre Story. Vampyre Story may however take the rightful space at #1, when these spot-hoggers are released, and when the developer finally find a publisher.

Actually, I'm more excited with Bone than anything else, being Telltale Games first adventure and whatnot.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashing
I don't agree with you at all. Dreamfall and Fahrenheit are deservedly #1 and #2 on the Hype-O-Meter, due to a number of reasons:
(1) They are games from the same developer which gave us masterpieces like TLJ and Nomad Soul;
(2) They have been in development for years, and they are finally going to the market soon. Very soon.
(3) The release dates, being ever so close, also spur up more marketing effort to hype them up with trailers and demo released.

Thus, they are definitely much more hyped up in relation to the development in progress Runaway 2 and Vampyre Story. Vampyre Story may however take the rightful space at #1, when these spot-hoggers are released, and when the developer finally find a publisher.

Actually, I'm more excited with Bone than anything else, being Telltale Games first adventure and whatnot.
Dreamfall does NOT deserve to be at #1 because, while TLJ was a pure by-the-book classic adventure game (like every adventure game HAVE to be), its sequel is going to try to appeal to more people, namely, non-adventure gamers, namely, it'll be much less of an adventure than it's predecessor.
As for Farenheit, it also doesn't seem to be a real adventure (and it's not surprising, since Omikron wasn't either) and even if it was, this new idea of a "TV series instead of a feature film" thing doesn't appeal to me at all. Adventure games SHOULD be like feature films, and not a serialized TV show. That covers Bone too.
So I guess the only thing I agree with is the release date factor.

And as for the rest of the Hype-o-Meter, I see that #3 is taken by another of Benoit Sokal's horrible attempts at an adventure game, and #4... oh no... not that one... I should stop here. This Hype-o-Meter is obviously an abomination to adventure gamers.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:41 PM   #7
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
This Hype-o-Meter is obviously an abomination to adventure gamers.
Obviously. This whole site should just stop trying to pretend it cares about adventure games.

There happens to be a thread about the Hype-o-Meter going on in Site Feedback right now, for those who have suggestions.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:51 PM   #8
Epinionated.

Not another "purist/traditional" adventure gamer.

Look, the only new thing to adventure games is the words "pure and traditional", as "pure and traditional" didn't exist up until 1999/2000. Games like Sam and Max, Bad Mojo, Future Wars, Indiana Jones, Hero Quest and a billion others were neither "pure" or "traditional". Those two words are used as a reaction to the introduction of 3D via action games and the dissapation of the AG genre as it was known then back in 1999. They were coined by frustrated AG'ers who decided to define the genre into a really restrictive umbrella and be damned anyone who argued with them. As much as I like a good few of the non-action or direction control based point and clickers after this period, there was nothing "pure and traditional" about them.

Don't get me started.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:17 PM   #9
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero

Look, the only new thing to adventure games is the words "pure and traditional", as "pure and traditional" didn't exist up until 1999/2000. Games like Sam and Max, Bad Mojo, Future Wars, Indiana Jones, Hero Quest and a billion others were neither "pure" or "traditional". Those two words are used as a reaction to the introduction of 3D via action games and the dissapation of the AG genre as it was known then back in 1999. They were coined by frustrated AG'ers who decided to define the genre into a really restrictive umbrella and be damned anyone who argued with them. As much as I like a good few of the non-action or direction control based point and clickers after this period, there was nothing "pure and traditional" about them.

Don't get me started.
Hell yes! I'm with Mr. L7 here.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero

Don't get me started.
All the games you mentioned, excpet Bad Mojo, are the real thing as far as I'm concerned. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the word "pure", but TLJ was just that. And it was great. I loved all the games you mentioned, even though they were not "DOTT pure". These games were never the problem, they were only a little different than the "normal" adventure game, and, while in some occasions I wished they were a little "purer", none of them lacked the "feel" that an aventure game should have.
Then games like Myst and Alone in the Dark started coming out (befre 1999, as you must know), and later, 3D action/adventures. Those weren't "the real thing" anymore. And they shouldn't dominate the Hype-o-Meter. A genre can evolve, but it can also CHANGE. And that's not good.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:57 PM   #11
Dungeon Master

Everybody has a right to dislike "non-pure" adventures, however senseless that term is. But I think you did the biggest disservice to yourself and only yourself, Aurebesh, by having made up your mind about all those games long ago. Why not learning more about them: checking the previews, or the demo if it's already available, and then deciding they are not for you? You might be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by AFGNCAAP; 08-22-2005 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Everybody has a right to dislike "non-pure" adventures, however senseless that term is. But I think you did the biggest disservice to yourself and only yourself, Aurebesh, by having made up your mind about all those games long ago. Why not learning more about them: checking the previews, or the demo if it's already available, and then deciding they are not for you? You might be pleasantly surprised.
I did check them out before deciding they were evil (heh heh I like it when I sound like a religious fanatic ), but only at first, before I knew what they really are. Now, however, checking out all these pseudo-adventure games is just like checking out Unreal Tournament or Quake and games like that.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:14 PM   #13
I'm complicated

Send a message via MSN to smashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Obviously. This whole site should just stop trying to pretend it cares about adventure games.
You mean this site care about adventure games? Man! I'd been on the wrong site for all this while without realising it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
There happens to be a thread about the Hype-o-Meter going on in Site Feedback right now, for those who have suggestions.
***I wish Bone is in front of every other title***
Old 08-22-2005, 07:00 PM   #14
T.J. Hooker's Lovechild

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashing
***I wish Bone is in front of every other title***
Ditto. Games with cute little anthropomorphic characters should have priority over everything else here.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:44 AM   #15
Dungeon Master

Quote:
I did check them out before deciding they were evil (heh heh I like it when I sound like a religious fanatic ), but only at first, before I knew what they really are. Now, however, checking out all these pseudo-adventure games is just like checking out Unreal Tournament or Quake and games like that.
I doubt you did your homework wery thouroughly, though. For example, you refer to Fahrenheit as a serialized game, which it was only initially designed as. We know it isn't the case since E3 2004 at least. That's not to mention that if the only criterium you seem to have in accepting games as worthy your time is the very vague "feel" of the adventure, I don't see how can you possibly decide to write off (or, for that matter, like) any game just after it is announced.

But if you choose to be ignorant of the most exciting flood of adventure releases since the beginning of the century (IMO), your loss.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:42 AM   #16
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Yeah, mine too. I really don't understand how it's only at #9 out of 10 in the Hype-o-Meter! It should definitely be at #1!!
It's at #9 because it doesn't have a publisher, and isn't in full production, unlike every other game on the list except the one below it. Which I explained after gradually dropping it down from the #4 slot it held for months.

Quote:
And as for the rest of the Hype-o-Meter, I see that #3 is taken by another of Benoit Sokal's horrible attempts at an adventure game, and #4... oh no... not that one... I should stop here. This Hype-o-Meter is obviously an abomination to adventure gamers.
So... anything with a little action is out... two of the most popular adventure franchises/developers are out... I think what you mean is that the Hype-o-Meter is an abomination to Aurebesh. Which is fine, just a much different thing. What you said concerns me; the reality just amuses me.

But just for the record, this is a Hype-o-Meter, not a "List-Our-Favourite-Games-o-Meter". It's meant to demonstrate which games are causing the most buzz in the adventure community. If you honestly think Runaway 2 is generating a much hype as Dreamfall, or Vampyre Story as much as Indigo Prophecy, you can't be paying much attention.