View Single Post
Old 07-13-2005, 11:55 AM   #1
Wormsie
Doctor Watson

Default Self-assertiveness and Wormsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
As a communication style and strategy, Assertiveness is distinguished from Aggression and Passivity. How people deal with personal boundaries; their own and those of other people, helps to distinguish between these three concepts. Passive communicators do not defend their own personal boundaries and thus allow aggressive people to harm or otherwise unduly influence them. They are also typically not likely to risk trying to influence anyone else. Aggressive people do not respect the personal boundaries of others and thus are liable to harm others while trying to influence them. A person communicates assertively by not being afraid to speak his or her mind or trying to influence others, but doing so in a way that respects the personal boundaries of others. They are also willing to defend themselves against aggressive incursions.
- Wikipedia on Assertiveness

I have a bad habit of not being able to defend myself and my interests and rights. I am way too passive. But when someone manages to irritate me enough, I usually become aggressive. I only have these two ways of functioning.

Any ideas of how I could become more assertive?