View Single Post
Old 05-19-2005, 10:25 PM   #11
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Steve, may I give you a big hug for being so accomplished?

(((((Steve)))))

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
Can someone enlighten me by telling me what exactly a tactical first-person shooter is? Is it a type of game where a deep, interesting story can be told? Or is it similar to any old FPS?
It's not so much focused on 'total real life' as it is on developing strategies to successfully meet your given goals and also survive. It can take on various forms, like squad based, where you are in charge of a team of A.I. controlled teammates, taking advantage of each one's particular skill. Or it can be just you against the world, using the environment, your high-tech gadgets, and/or other things as tools to meet the mission objective.

Usually in tactical shooters, you DO NOT 'mindlessly' run and jump in and shoot anything that moves and ask questions later. Instead you scope out the area, consider things like enemy patrol patterns, assess potential threats, scout for cover, alternate routes, etc. You actually need to think and plan in real time before striking.

Think of the situation as a kind of puzzle to solve, but a very volatile, dynamic one.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien