You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Steve Ince at E3 (Project Delta)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2005, 12:31 PM   #1
Epinionated.

Default Steve Ince at E3 (Project Delta)

Adventure game writer comin' atcha, new-skool!

Congrats Steve -

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/616/616853p1.html

It's an FPS, but anything written by forum regular, Sapphire Claw creator and top bloke Mr Ince deserves full respek't.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:55 PM   #2
How am I not myself?

Props to Steve!
Old 05-19-2005, 01:04 PM   #3
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Nice, Steve's really getting the creative engine running. His own game announced and now story writer for this game. A lot of good things are happening very suddenly.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:40 PM   #4
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Wow! Good for him, and he's a really nice guy too - see sometimes the good guys DO win! Yea Steve!

FGM-Lyn
Old 05-19-2005, 02:01 PM   #5

I have sworn off FPS forever but if anything could get me to play one this would be it. I would have to cheat my through it probably, in god mode most likely, but even if I have to do that, I might give it a shot. Way to go, Steve! Hope you are getting a bucket load of money from this that you can use to develop more AGs.

Old 05-19-2005, 02:01 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Excellent to see Steve coming out of the other side of Revolution's downsizing with head held high. This time last year (roughly) things weren't looking that great.

Go Steve!
Old 05-19-2005, 02:09 PM   #7

Can someone enlighten me by telling me what exactly a tactical first-person shooter is? Is it a type of game where a deep, interesting story can be told? Or is it similar to any old FPS? Heck, are there any FPS of any type that can actually make a use out of a great story teller like Steve? I'm not being sarcastic by the way. The last FPS I attempted to play was Duke Nukem 3D and that didn't feature anything resembling an interesting story.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:16 PM   #8
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
Can someone enlighten me by telling me what exactly a tactical first-person shooter is?
It's one of them things like Operation Flashpoint, I think. Think a striving for realism and serious subject matter.

Mind you, I could be totally wrong.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-19-2005, 02:27 PM   #9
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
It's one of them things like Operation Flashpoint, I think. Think a striving for realism and serious subject matter.
Or something like SWAT, tactical shooter means just that, you still get too shoot people, but you actually have to use your little grey cells form time to time.

EDIT: Oops... GO STEVE!

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 05-19-2005, 09:45 PM   #10
Writer-Designer

Thanks for all the kind thoughts guys.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:25 PM   #11
merely human

Steve, may I give you a big hug for being so accomplished?

(((((Steve)))))

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
Can someone enlighten me by telling me what exactly a tactical first-person shooter is? Is it a type of game where a deep, interesting story can be told? Or is it similar to any old FPS?
It's not so much focused on 'total real life' as it is on developing strategies to successfully meet your given goals and also survive. It can take on various forms, like squad based, where you are in charge of a team of A.I. controlled teammates, taking advantage of each one's particular skill. Or it can be just you against the world, using the environment, your high-tech gadgets, and/or other things as tools to meet the mission objective.

Usually in tactical shooters, you DO NOT 'mindlessly' run and jump in and shoot anything that moves and ask questions later. Instead you scope out the area, consider things like enemy patrol patterns, assess potential threats, scout for cover, alternate routes, etc. You actually need to think and plan in real time before striking.

Think of the situation as a kind of puzzle to solve, but a very volatile, dynamic one.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-20-2005, 05:16 AM   #12
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Usually in tactical shooters, you DO NOT 'mindlessly' run and jump in and shoot anything that moves and ask questions later. Instead you scope out the area, consider things like enemy patrol patterns, assess potential threats, scout for cover, alternate routes, etc. You actually need to think and plan in real time before striking.
Those apostrophes are there because you're thinking what I'm thinking? People seem to think that slower some how makes a game require more intelligence, and that having more severe consequences to dying means that you are more likely to succeed with a better strategy. That's just not the case, if anything most non-tactical FPS games are more complex, and require more technique, strategy and intelligence all while doing everything much faster. Sure most tactical shooters are more severe so if you screw up you'll die but isn't that more to do with consistancy and technique?
Quote:
Heck, are there any FPS of any type that can actually make a use out of a great story teller like Steve?
RPG/FPS hybrids can have the best stories. The only tactical FPS I've played with a story is probably Rainbow Six and all the rest of the series but the story was confined to out of gameply menus.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:30 AM   #13
Writer-Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Steve, may I give you a big hug for being so accomplished?

(((((Steve)))))
Aw, shucks...

But thanks.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:58 AM   #14
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
The only tactical FPS I've played with a story is probably Rainbow Six and all the rest of the series but the story was confined to out of gameply menus.
Calling the sequences between missions in the Rainbow Six games a "story" is really pushing it, me thinks.

Congrats Steve on yet another great achievement.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:32 AM   #15
Writer-Designer

Thanks Mattsius.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:11 PM   #16
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

It's perhaps unnecessary, as I'm merely echoing the sentiment of a lot of other people, but well done Steve. It's nice to see things paying off for you (I hope)!

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.