View Single Post
Old 05-14-2005, 12:47 PM   #14
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
I like Microsoft's support for developers. From what I read, they are real nice and helpful to anyone who develops for the platform which is nice to see (except for dropping Psychonauts ).

What I am skeptical about is the silver package of the XBOX LIVE. It is "free" but a big fat loaded free. If you want to buy levels, customize cars, add a character or something, it will cost you. Granted it is a small fee, but if you are hardcore, it can add up I kinda see it as a sneeky way to do modding on a console for cache?

I am more pro fan modding/companies doing mods for free. Like Valve for example is giving a whole level to Half life 2 fans for free and you can download it on Steam. I hope XBOX LIVE will follow the same example, and not get greedy.
MS look to be focusing a great deal on their service amenities that come with the 360. I think it would be really be great if they supported modding, things like sponsoring contests for amateurs. But that would mean re-funnelling those mods into downloadable content for the 360 for gamers to play, which would still be fine. It would re-generate interest in the 360 and a special audience that appreciates each other's mods. But let's see what they come up with.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien