View Single Post
Old 05-14-2005, 12:16 PM   #13
SoccerDude28
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
What I'm curious to see is whether Sony will be able to match or beat what Microsoft is offering in terms of service and support, both on the level of developers and of end consumers (us). MS is promising full-and-a-half support to devs making games for the 360, and as much goodies as possible for Xbox Live for free (enticing mainstream and even casual gamers to jump in). They already have the lead in online services, a very strong community.

The Japanese haven't exactly been angels in how they treat developers, which may be telling of their confidence level as current global leaders in the console and handheld market.
I like Microsoft's support for developers. From what I read, they are real nice and helpful to anyone who develops for the platform which is nice to see (except for dropping Psychonauts ).

What I am skeptical about is the silver package of the XBOX LIVE. It is "free" but a big fat loaded free. If you want to buy levels, customize cars, add a character or something, it will cost you. Granted it is a small fee, but if you are hardcore, it can add up I kinda see it as a sneeky way to do modding on a console for cache?
I am more pro fan modding/companies doing mods for free. Like Valve for example is giving a whole level to Half life 2 fans for free and you can download it on Steam. I hope XBOX LIVE will follow the same example, and not get greedy.

Firefox rules