View Single Post
Old 05-13-2005, 11:55 PM   #9
Crunchy in milk
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
All this does not matter. If there are no good games for it, they might as well give us deep blue.
Hardly an apt comparison, one is a computer designed to feign artificial intelligence the other is designed to play games.

Which is which?

The article goes to great lengths to point out that despite the large calculations that can be performed, the focus is targeted processing power. The gpu in the 360 is very drool worthy, as is the use of water cooling. One of my biggest gripes with the Xbox is the super powered fan noise. Water cooling means less fans, less noise and even better still, the cpu will shut down cores that aren't being used so that while watching a DVD for example, the unit is even quieter.

I would have liked to see more on the Altivec c+ language, wasn't there a particular developer griping about having to program in assembly to suit the in order cpu?

xbox live silver, free out of the box is amazing news (see trep's links). With the next gen xbox everyone has access to that and the pressure is there for developers to continue supporting and drawing funds from their games after the initial release.

There are plenty of sites including the MTV website with videos and lists of games already confirmed for the 360. Its going to take a lot more than another final fantasy and gta for sony to take pole position for my dollars, I also like that the technology is being explained here rather than hyped and given a code name like emotion engine. I have big hopes for the ps3 launch now that the competition is out of the bag, I didn't expect them to be this high however, it has a lot of bells and whistles to match now.