Thread: Lascaux project
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2005, 02:24 AM   #12
Hendroz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
It sounds like they worked hard to make the game authentic. It made me really curious about how advanced Cro-Magnons really were. The whole thing about the frescoes and the idea of a world-famous painter (Klem) with an assistant and everything, and that you could train to be a painter rather than a hunter... I don't know how realistic all that is. Sounds more like the Renaissance to me... but who knows? It would be cool if Cro-Magnons really were that civilized.
From what I remember, Cro-Magnon (aka "Homo Sapiens Sapiens") were pretty intelligent. They had art (like sculptures, paintings and music), spirituality (they buried deads and probably had idols and divinities), and technology (weapons to hunt and to fish).
They sort of replaced the old "Neanderthal" man which was far more an animal than a man and, however, there's proof that he was not our direct progenitor, as he was of a different human species which ended up when Cro-Magnon took over the human world with their wit.

Of course, Neanderthal would be suited for an action game, but for an adventure... I guess Cro Magnon is the right choice!