You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2005, 09:51 AM   #1

Default Lascaux project

Looks good!

Is there an official demo available yet?
Old 03-23-2005, 10:39 AM   #2
Hopeful skeptic

Nope, no official publisher announcement, no title, and no demo at the moment. But since the game is so close to completion already, expect all these things to fall into place in short order.

I've really got high hopes for this game. Kheops is another of those studios that's really trying to learn from experience, and the theme/time period should be a breath of fresh air.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:43 AM   #3
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
and the theme/time period should be a breath of fresh air.
Yes - no smog in 15,000 B.C. Might be a little chilly, though, what with that Ice Age and all.

Hendroz, what I saw at GDC wasn't a playable demo, but in-game stuff that Benoit demonstrated for me. I'm hoping they will release a demo though... I'd love to get my hands on this game.

-emily
Old 03-23-2005, 11:50 AM   #4

Ooooooh, this is looking to be an amazing game. Normally I'm not a fan of Myst-style games (Unlike my girlfriend, who is the master of them), but I really REALLY enjoyed RtMI, and it looks like Kheops won't dissapoint with this new one!
Old 03-24-2005, 02:43 AM   #5
headless

Thanks for this detailed and very interesting preview, Emily.
I can't await the release.

Although being a sworn 3rd-person-view-fan I loved playing RTMI and now I am really hyped for the Lascaux game, especially the setting. The screens are beautiful and I am glad they use the same engine as in RTMI, which in my book has the most gorgeous and detailed graphics I've ever seen in a 1st-person game except for Myst Revelation. Heck, they even stick to the same cursor.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:02 AM   #6
Dungeon Master

Of course, Emily once again couldn't hold her non-casual gamer uptightness to herself. Let me quote:
Quote:
My understanding of prehistoric times is pretty much limited to common stereotypes (grunting, pulling women around by the hair), so this interaction between characters adds a level of depth I wouldn't have expected from a "caveman game."
Can you imagine how a caveman reading this sentence would feel?! Only because he has an ugly face and can't solve puzzles, he is not necessarily a worse person!

Sorry

Seriously, I am eagerly awaiting more info about this game. If only one of them stupid Polish publishers brought RtMI down here at last.... *sigh*
Old 03-24-2005, 04:17 AM   #7
headless

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Can you imagine how a caveman reading this sentence would feel?! Only because he has an ugly face and can't solve puzzles, he is not necessarily a worse person!
Maybe, Emily should grab her paint brush and draw the preview in easy-to-understand pictures to satisfy the cavemen?
Old 03-24-2005, 07:28 AM   #8
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
There are two wonderful commercials that have been on lately for Geico (car insurance). The first shows a commercial being taped, and the spokesman is saying "Getting insurance with Geico is so easy, a caveman could do it!" Then you hear a commotion offstage and the sound guy -- who happens to be a caveman in overalls -- goes "NOT COOL!" and storms off. The second ad, which tends to run right after the first, shows the same commercial on somebody's television in their living room. The spokesman says (again) "Getting insurance with Geico is so easy, a caveman could do it!" The camera then pans to the people watching TV, who are two cavemen and a cavewomen sitting on the couch. One says, "Did he just say what I think he said?" To which another responds, "That is SO condescending."

Okay, cavemen aside...

It sounds like they worked hard to make the game authentic. It made me really curious about how advanced Cro-Magnons really were. The whole thing about the frescoes and the idea of a world-famous painter (Klem) with an assistant and everything, and that you could train to be a painter rather than a hunter... I don't know how realistic all that is. Sounds more like the Renaissance to me... but who knows? It would be cool if Cro-Magnons really were that civilized.

-emily

Last edited by fov; 03-24-2005 at 10:11 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-24-2005, 07:35 AM   #9
Fienepien

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
There are two wonderful commercials that have been on lately for Geico (car insurance). The first shows a commercial being taped, and the spokesman is saying "Getting insurance with Geico is so easy, a caveman could do it!" Then you hear a commotion offstage and the sound guy -- who happens to be a caveman in overalls -- goes "NOT COOL!" and storms off. The second ad, which tends to run right after the first, shows the same commercial on somebody's television in their living room. The spokesman says (again) "Getting insurance with Geico is so easy, a caveman could do it!" The camera then pans to the people watching TV, who are two cavemen and a cavewomen sitting on the couch. One says, "Did he just say what I think he said?" To which another responds, "That is SO condescending."
ROTFL!

Have a hard time picturing a caveman in overalls... a hairy ape with long arms? And how was the cavewoman dressed?

Old 03-24-2005, 07:37 AM   #10
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien
Have a hard time picturing a caveman in overalls... a hairy ape with long arms? And how was the cavewoman dressed?
They're all just dressed like normal people. The ones watching TV are drinking wine, I think.

I wish I could find this ad on the web somewhere, but I looked and haven't been able to. Geico has some of their other ads online but not this one.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:41 AM   #11
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
The second ad, which tends to run right after the first, shows the same commercial on somebody's television in their living room. The spokesman says (again) "Getting insurance with Geico is so easy, a caveman could do it!" The camera then pans to the people watching TV, who are two cavemen and a cavewomen sitting on the couch. One says, "Did he just say what I think he said?" To which another responds, "That is SO condescending."
Those commercials are hilarious every time I see them! If you look at the second one, when they're in the living room, check out the wall art. There's a framed version of those primitive "stick figure" cave paintings of a buffalo (or mammoth) hunt, or something like that.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
It sounds like they worked hard to make the game authentic. It made me really curious about how advanced Cro-Magnons really were. The whole thing about the frescoes and the idea of a world-famous painter (Klem) with an assistant and everything, and that you could train to be a painter rather than a hunter... I don't know how realistic all that is. Sounds more like the Renaissance to me... but who knows? It would be cool if Cro-Magnons really were that civilized.
From what I remember, Cro-Magnon (aka "Homo Sapiens Sapiens") were pretty intelligent. They had art (like sculptures, paintings and music), spirituality (they buried deads and probably had idols and divinities), and technology (weapons to hunt and to fish).
They sort of replaced the old "Neanderthal" man which was far more an animal than a man and, however, there's proof that he was not our direct progenitor, as he was of a different human species which ended up when Cro-Magnon took over the human world with their wit.

Of course, Neanderthal would be suited for an action game, but for an adventure... I guess Cro Magnon is the right choice!
Old 03-25-2005, 09:12 AM   #13
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendroz
From what I remember, Cro-Magnon (aka "Homo Sapiens Sapiens") were pretty intelligent.
Aha! Kinda like Canis lupus lupus!

That's interesting. I never really knew the difference between Neanderthals and Cro-Magnons. I suspect a lot of people don't... so the fact that the game will have documentation about all this is pretty cool. (I might actually learn something!)

-emily
Old 03-25-2005, 10:03 AM   #14

That's true. For example, I didn't know much about Voodoo until I played Gabriel Knight.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:07 AM   #15
Bearly Here

Reminds me of one of the best features of Cryo developed games, their attention to the back story and real life history behind their own game plots.

Gives it that depth.

Great preview and news scoop - Em !

Ohh and I love the caveman ads - gonna file a class action suit any day now, Hey cavemen gots rights!
Old 03-26-2005, 01:08 PM   #16
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraMac
Reminds me of one of the best features of Cryo developed games, their attention to the back story and real life history behind their own game plots.
Are you seriously suggesting that Cryo games had some other good features???

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 03-26-2005, 09:55 PM   #17
Bearly Here

Quote:
Are you seriously suggesting that Cryo games had some other good features???
Oh be still - you.

I liked more than a few Cryo games, for a variety of reasons. My perogative. double
Old 03-27-2005, 06:32 AM   #18
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Aha! Kinda like Canis lupus lupus!

That's interesting. I never really knew the difference between Neanderthals and Cro-Magnons. I suspect a lot of people don't... so the fact that the game will have documentation about all this is pretty cool. (I might actually learn something!)

-emily
If you like to read, you might enjoy Jean Auel's Clan of the Cave Bear her series of books, of which this is the first, are considered to be the most historically accurate of the time frame, including descriptions of the lifestyles of the Cro-Magnon, and Neanderthals, including their intelligence, clothing, foods, etc. And they are very enjoyable reading.

FGM