Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Hint Requests and Technical Problems (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/hint-requests-technical-problems/)
-   -   Gabriel Knight - Beast Within problems (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/hint-requests-technical-problems/24498-gabriel-knight-beast-within-problems.html)

Luna Sevithiainen 04-19-2009 01:09 PM

Gabriel Knight - Beast Within problems

1 Attachment(s)
So after months of setting my pc up so I could play GK2 under windows 98 because I somehow got it in my mind that older games run better under older OS's, I finally installed GK2 today...
...and immediately ran into bugs that render the game unplayable ;(

When I use the Windows version, I can't load or save from within the game, because as soon as I click either the load or save button, it gives an error message like the one in the screenhot below and the game crashes. ( I can restore one game when starting though...and I managed to save one game, but now I cna't seem to do that anymore without crashing the game)

No problem, I thought, then I just use the DOS version, because yay for older OS's or something...(what is the difference between the DOS and Windows version anyway?) Well...the good news is that the load/save bug seems to have disappeared...
... The bad news is that as soon as I have clicked on the newspaper when in close up to read it, all the sound vanishes and stays gone until I restart the game...

So in short both the windows and dos version are...useless now...and I wanted to play that game so badly :frown:

Does anyone know of any way to fix any of these bugs? Maybe there is some patch or anything I have missed? I haven't tried it on XP yet, mostly because I don't want to play it in a small screen because XP doesn't support 640X480 resolution (so if anyone knwos a way to play Beast Within in full screen, I am happy to, given that the bugs are not there in XP...)

Luna Sevithiainen 04-19-2009 02:16 PM

... I have been too early in posting this thread because...the solution was right under my nose...Endroz's GK2 installer :D
I at first didn't want to try that because I didn't quite like having to play GK1 in a small window when running it under XP, and most because I was afraid the bugs would still be there...
...but the bugs I mentioned are gone! Endroz, I worship you, I owe you my sanity :D

So...a bit sorry for opening the thread unnecessary, but if anyone ever encounters the same problems: Endroz's GK2 installer works like a charm!

seanparkerfilms 04-19-2009 02:39 PM

Hmmm... I used those installers to play both games, but it was always in fullscreen. Poke around in settings or something and I'm sure you'll find a way to make it not run in a window.

Luna Sevithiainen 04-19-2009 10:54 PM

I guess I was so happy I forgot to mention that GK2 actually did run in fullscreen immediately because the installer gave that option immediately at installation :)
Will try to get GK1 working in fullscreen (or under 98 :P) next time I play it.
It does leave me wondering though if there are any ways to fix the bugs I mentioned without having to run it on win XP, so when just running it under windows 98. Not that I need those solutions now, but I am always curious :P