Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Hint Requests and Technical Problems (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/hint-requests-technical-problems/)
-   -   Rayman 2 / WinXP (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/hint-requests-technical-problems/12699-rayman-2-winxp.html)

samIamsad 01-08-2006 07:07 AM

Rayman 2 / WinXP

Mehhhhh. I'm getting some Glide related error message whenever I try to start the game. Thing is: Glide is the good old 3dfx API, and I've installed the DirectX version for my GF 4ti (Omega drivers). No Glide. Nada. :confused:

RLacey 01-08-2006 07:38 AM

Rayman 2 should have Direct3D support as well, I think. Are you sure that you've not got some crazy, free-with-a-3dfx-card version of the game? Or that you haven't selected a Glide option somewhere in the setup menu?

I suppose I could reinstall my copy and have a look, assuming you're still having trouble.

Jackal 01-08-2006 08:22 AM

I had an infuriating problem with Rayman 2 on WinXP. When I installed, it'd run perfectly. Quit out and restart, though, and it would never launch again. I coud uninstall/reinstall and reproduce the same scenario every time. I never got any specific error message, though. Just the garden Windows variety "you're screwed, Buckwheat." :shifty:

My solution was buying it for Dreamcast. :D

samIamsad 01-08-2006 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackal
My solution was buying it for Dreamcast. :D

:shifty: :D

Odd... When my system was running Win2000, it ran perfectly fine. Anyway, in the manual it says you can choose between 3dfx(Glide) and Direct 3D at the start of the installation. But actually, there are only two options: MMX and non-MMX. :crazy: Maybe it's just driver problems. Though I really don't know where that Glide error message is coming from then. It even pops up whenever I start that setup file in the Rayman 2 folder ("Glide 2.dll not found"). And, all settings are okay there:

Renderer: DirectX 6
Device: Microsoft Direct3D Hardware acceleration

Bottom line: PCs suck. :(

RLacey 01-08-2006 10:25 AM

You could try downloading a Glide wrapper. Either way, I'll install my copy later and take a look at the available options.

samIamsad 01-08-2006 10:48 AM

I've just discovered some sort of log file in the Rayman 2 folder:

Beginning Glide2 log
grab_extensions failed, missing the minimum set of common GL extensions
Mode switch failed

:crazy:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey
You could try downloading a Glide wrapper. Either way, I'll install my copy later and take a look at the available options.

Thanks. :) After that, I installed a wrapper. Then I could open the setup file without the error message popping up, but... couldn't start the game (and couldn't change the rendering device to Glide in the setup).

UPDATE: I'm not convinced these really should be in my Rayman/dll folder:

GliDetect6.dll
GliDX6vf.dll -> this it the file Windows lists when the game crashes.
GliVd1vf.dll

samIamsad 01-10-2006 08:25 AM

I think it's a driver problem. Note that the omega drivers I'm using are not the official ones from Nvidia. I'll look for the CD that came with my gfx card. Sucks to be on dial-up! :(

samIamsad 01-10-2006 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samIamsad
I think it's a driver problem. Note that the omega drivers I'm using are not the official ones from Nvidia. I'll look for the CD that came with my gfx card. Sucks to be on dial-up! :(

The mistery is solved. Woah, what a game. Some of the pirate levels (+curly clouds) make me wonder what a Monkey Island game in full 3D might be like. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh........ damn! Rayman 2's great! Spread the message, people!:D

RLacey 01-10-2006 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samIamsad
The mistery is solved. Woah, what a game. Some of the pirate levels (+curly clouds) make me wonder what a Monkey Island game in full 3D might be like. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh........ damn! Rayman 2's great! Spread the message, people!:D

Aah, that saves me reinstalling. Personally I prefer Rayman 3, but numero deux is also a good'un.

Speaking of which, I need to get around to finishing R3...

samIamsad 01-12-2006 11:51 AM

Man, gotta get me hands on a copy of Rayman 3. Sh*t, I'm through again. This game is sooo much fun (but oh so short :frown: ). Swinging from purple lume to purple lume, riding kegs'n'plums, there's a wonder waiting behind every corner. It's like Ubi threw out everything (and I mean everything) that didn't sound like fun in the first place.

I'm trying to collect all the lumes and prisoners I've missed. So far I've collected 977/999 lumes and freed.. well, all 80 prisoners. Does anybody know what happens if you collect all lumes? If I press F1 the game says that I have to find 22 more lumes and a secret about Rayman's origin or something will be revealed..

RLacey 01-12-2006 12:36 PM

I'm too bad at platform games to ever manage to finish them (I'd like to banish bosses entirely :shifty: ), so I'm afraid I can't answer your question :frown:...

Igor 01-12-2006 01:28 PM

Ah, Rayman2 is still my favorite platformer.. so much style! :)
Rayman3 is great as well, however not quite as magical as the second one.. and characters speak english :shifty: one of the things that really did it for me in R2 were those funny blabbering voices Rayman did when he was "talking".

samIamsad 01-13-2006 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey
I'm too bad at platform games to ever manage to finish them (I'd like to banish bosses entirely :shifty: ), so I'm afraid I can't answer your question :frown:...

But hey, the boss fights aren't that hard! Come on, Rob! :D (And most boss fights aren't boss fights at all..... brillant!)

One more question: Is Rayman 3 just "more of the same"? Because another thing I loved about Rayman 2 is that there is such a huge amount of varied gameplay. No world is like the one before...