You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2006, 07:07 AM   #1
capsized.

Default Rayman 2 / WinXP

Mehhhhh. I'm getting some Glide related error message whenever I try to start the game. Thing is: Glide is the good old 3dfx API, and I've installed the DirectX version for my GF 4ti (Omega drivers). No Glide. Nada.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:38 AM   #2
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Rayman 2 should have Direct3D support as well, I think. Are you sure that you've not got some crazy, free-with-a-3dfx-card version of the game? Or that you haven't selected a Glide option somewhere in the setup menu?

I suppose I could reinstall my copy and have a look, assuming you're still having trouble.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-08-2006, 08:22 AM   #3
Hopeful skeptic

I had an infuriating problem with Rayman 2 on WinXP. When I installed, it'd run perfectly. Quit out and restart, though, and it would never launch again. I coud uninstall/reinstall and reproduce the same scenario every time. I never got any specific error message, though. Just the garden Windows variety "you're screwed, Buckwheat."

My solution was buying it for Dreamcast.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:24 AM   #4
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
My solution was buying it for Dreamcast.

Odd... When my system was running Win2000, it ran perfectly fine. Anyway, in the manual it says you can choose between 3dfx(Glide) and Direct 3D at the start of the installation. But actually, there are only two options: MMX and non-MMX. Maybe it's just driver problems. Though I really don't know where that Glide error message is coming from then. It even pops up whenever I start that setup file in the Rayman 2 folder ("Glide 2.dll not found"). And, all settings are okay there:

Renderer: DirectX 6
Device: Microsoft Direct3D Hardware acceleration

Bottom line: PCs suck.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:25 AM   #5
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

You could try downloading a Glide wrapper. Either way, I'll install my copy later and take a look at the available options.

Old 01-08-2006, 10:48 AM   #6
capsized.

I've just discovered some sort of log file in the Rayman 2 folder:

Beginning Glide2 log
grab_extensions failed, missing the minimum set of common GL extensions
Mode switch failed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
You could try downloading a Glide wrapper. Either way, I'll install my copy later and take a look at the available options.
Thanks. After that, I installed a wrapper. Then I could open the setup file without the error message popping up, but... couldn't start the game (and couldn't change the rendering device to Glide in the setup).

UPDATE: I'm not convinced these really should be in my Rayman/dll folder:

GliDetect6.dll
GliDX6vf.dll -> this it the file Windows lists when the game crashes.
GliVd1vf.dll

Last edited by samIamsad; 01-08-2006 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:25 AM   #7
capsized.

I think it's a driver problem. Note that the omega drivers I'm using are not the official ones from Nvidia. I'll look for the CD that came with my gfx card. Sucks to be on dial-up!
Old 01-10-2006, 11:52 AM   #8
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
I think it's a driver problem. Note that the omega drivers I'm using are not the official ones from Nvidia. I'll look for the CD that came with my gfx card. Sucks to be on dial-up!
The mistery is solved. Woah, what a game. Some of the pirate levels (+curly clouds) make me wonder what a Monkey Island game in full 3D might be like. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh........ damn! Rayman 2's great! Spread the message, people!
Old 01-10-2006, 02:58 PM   #9
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
The mistery is solved. Woah, what a game. Some of the pirate levels (+curly clouds) make me wonder what a Monkey Island game in full 3D might be like. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh........ damn! Rayman 2's great! Spread the message, people!
Aah, that saves me reinstalling. Personally I prefer Rayman 3, but numero deux is also a good'un.

Speaking of which, I need to get around to finishing R3...

Old 01-12-2006, 11:51 AM   #10
capsized.

Man, gotta get me hands on a copy of Rayman 3. Sh*t, I'm through again. This game is sooo much fun (but oh so short ). Swinging from purple lume to purple lume, riding kegs'n'plums, there's a wonder waiting behind every corner. It's like Ubi threw out everything (and I mean everything) that didn't sound like fun in the first place.

I'm trying to collect all the lumes and prisoners I've missed. So far I've collected 977/999 lumes and freed.. well, all 80 prisoners. Does anybody know what happens if you collect all lumes? If I press F1 the game says that I have to find 22 more lumes and a secret about Rayman's origin or something will be revealed..
Old 01-12-2006, 12:36 PM   #11
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

I'm too bad at platform games to ever manage to finish them (I'd like to banish bosses entirely ), so I'm afraid I can't answer your question ...

Old 01-12-2006, 01:28 PM   #12
Jumping peanut on a stick

Ah, Rayman2 is still my favorite platformer.. so much style!
Rayman3 is great as well, however not quite as magical as the second one.. and characters speak english one of the things that really did it for me in R2 were those funny blabbering voices Rayman did when he was "talking".
Old 01-13-2006, 04:25 AM   #13
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I'm too bad at platform games to ever manage to finish them (I'd like to banish bosses entirely ), so I'm afraid I can't answer your question ...
But hey, the boss fights aren't that hard! Come on, Rob! (And most boss fights aren't boss fights at all..... brillant!)

One more question: Is Rayman 3 just "more of the same"? Because another thing I loved about Rayman 2 is that there is such a huge amount of varied gameplay. No world is like the one before...