Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Steve Ince at E3 (Project Delta) (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/8310-steve-ince-e3-project-delta.html)

squarejawhero 05-19-2005 12:31 PM

Steve Ince at E3 (Project Delta)

Adventure game writer comin' atcha, new-skool!

Congrats Steve -

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/616/616853p1.html

It's an FPS, but anything written by forum regular, Sapphire Claw creator and top bloke Mr Ince deserves full respek't. :D

Glenn Epic 05-19-2005 12:55 PM

Props to Steve!

Kolzig 05-19-2005 01:04 PM

Nice, Steve's really getting the creative engine running. His own game announced and now story writer for this game. A lot of good things are happening very suddenly. :)

Fairygdmther 05-19-2005 01:40 PM

Wow! Good for him, and he's a really nice guy too - see sometimes the good guys DO win! Yea Steve! :D

FGM-Lyn

gillyruless 05-19-2005 02:01 PM

I have sworn off FPS forever but if anything could get me to play one this would be it. I would have to cheat my through it probably, in god mode most likely, but even if I have to do that, I might give it a shot. Way to go, Steve! Hope you are getting a bucket load of money from this that you can use to develop more AGs.

:)

Dale Baldwin 05-19-2005 02:01 PM

Excellent to see Steve coming out of the other side of Revolution's downsizing with head held high. This time last year (roughly) things weren't looking that great.

Go Steve! :)

gillyruless 05-19-2005 02:09 PM

Can someone enlighten me by telling me what exactly a tactical first-person shooter is? Is it a type of game where a deep, interesting story can be told? Or is it similar to any old FPS? Heck, are there any FPS of any type that can actually make a use out of a great story teller like Steve? I'm not being sarcastic by the way. The last FPS I attempted to play was Duke Nukem 3D and that didn't feature anything resembling an interesting story.

RLacey 05-19-2005 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gillyruless
Can someone enlighten me by telling me what exactly a tactical first-person shooter is?

It's one of them things like Operation Flashpoint, I think. Think a striving for realism and serious subject matter.

Mind you, I could be totally wrong.

100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja 05-19-2005 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey
It's one of them things like Operation Flashpoint, I think. Think a striving for realism and serious subject matter.

Or something like SWAT, tactical shooter means just that, you still get too shoot people, but you actually have to use your little grey cells form time to time. :)

EDIT: Oops... GO STEVE! :)

Steve Ince 05-19-2005 09:45 PM

Thanks for all the kind thoughts guys.

Intrepid Homoludens 05-19-2005 10:25 PM

:) Steve, may I give you a big hug for being so accomplished?

(((((Steve)))))

Quote:

Originally Posted by gillyruless
Can someone enlighten me by telling me what exactly a tactical first-person shooter is? Is it a type of game where a deep, interesting story can be told? Or is it similar to any old FPS?

It's not so much focused on 'total real life' as it is on developing strategies to successfully meet your given goals and also survive. It can take on various forms, like squad based, where you are in charge of a team of A.I. controlled teammates, taking advantage of each one's particular skill. Or it can be just you against the world, using the environment, your high-tech gadgets, and/or other things as tools to meet the mission objective.

Usually in tactical shooters, you DO NOT 'mindlessly' run and jump in and shoot anything that moves and ask questions later. Instead you scope out the area, consider things like enemy patrol patterns, assess potential threats, scout for cover, alternate routes, etc. You actually need to think and plan in real time before striking.

:) Think of the situation as a kind of puzzle to solve, but a very volatile, dynamic one.

Aj_ 05-20-2005 05:16 AM

Quote:

Usually in tactical shooters, you DO NOT 'mindlessly' run and jump in and shoot anything that moves and ask questions later. Instead you scope out the area, consider things like enemy patrol patterns, assess potential threats, scout for cover, alternate routes, etc. You actually need to think and plan in real time before striking.
Those apostrophes are there because you're thinking what I'm thinking? People seem to think that slower some how makes a game require more intelligence, and that having more severe consequences to dying means that you are more likely to succeed with a better strategy. That's just not the case, if anything most non-tactical FPS games are more complex, and require more technique, strategy and intelligence all while doing everything much faster. Sure most tactical shooters are more severe so if you screw up you'll die but isn't that more to do with consistancy and technique?
Quote:

Heck, are there any FPS of any type that can actually make a use out of a great story teller like Steve?
RPG/FPS hybrids can have the best stories. The only tactical FPS I've played with a story is probably Rainbow Six and all the rest of the series but the story was confined to out of gameply menus.

Steve Ince 05-20-2005 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
:) Steve, may I give you a big hug for being so accomplished?

(((((Steve)))))

Aw, shucks...

But thanks. :)

Mattsius 05-21-2005 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aj_
The only tactical FPS I've played with a story is probably Rainbow Six and all the rest of the series but the story was confined to out of gameply menus.

Calling the sequences between missions in the Rainbow Six games a "story" is really pushing it, me thinks.

Congrats Steve on yet another great achievement. :)

Steve Ince 05-21-2005 10:32 AM

Thanks Mattsius.

RLacey 05-21-2005 02:11 PM

It's perhaps unnecessary, as I'm merely echoing the sentiment of a lot of other people, but well done Steve. It's nice to see things paying off for you (I hope)!