Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   horror games (good ones) (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/5529-horror-games-good-ones.html)

Catbert 11-11-2004 05:46 AM

horror games (good ones)

What good horror games do you reccomend I get? I've been trying out the first resident evil game for PC and I liked the setting, so I got RE3 and I liked it also. Please try to leave Silent Hill out of this :P I hate those. It doesn't have to involve action, it could be adventure, I just wanna get spooked, you know.

timcclayton 11-11-2004 05:52 AM

I really liked Sanitarium for its dark atmosphere and involving plotline - it's a genuine classic of the genre.

Black Mirror is dark and brooding as well with great atmospheric effects from time to time (storms etc.)

I'm not a big fan, but the Dark Fall series are supposed to be spooky (they weren't to me, but I've seen a lot of supposedly scary movies and never been spooked once so I'm not the best judge unfortunately :P ).

Someone is also bound to mention Amber: Journeys Beyond, but again I found that tepid at best.

Catbert 11-11-2004 06:08 AM

Does Black Mirror have a good duration? That's very important.

stepurhan 11-11-2004 06:11 AM

I've been playing "5 days a Stranger" recently, and would recommend that as an excellent freeware horror game (outshines some mainstream games in design quality I'd say)

Phantasmagoria 1 and 2 are both decent "live-action" horror stories but their puzzles are a bit limited and the acting is patchy in parts. I enjoyed the stories of both though.

The original Alone in the Dark is well worth a look (if you can find a copy) and, from what I've played of it so far, Alone in the Dark : The New Nightmare delivers in spades for scary atmosphere.

timcclayton 11-11-2004 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catbert
Does Black Mirror have a good duration? That's very important.

Well, depends on the player I suppose, but it lasted as long as most games I have played. And the graphics and production values were top-notch. People moaned about the lead characters voice, but I am pretty good with accents and in the UK version at least it doesn't grate with me at all.

Sirus 11-11-2004 06:53 AM

System Shock 2 is pretty scary. I'm not sure if it qualifies as a horror game though.

timcclayton 11-11-2004 07:05 AM

It's really more FPS/RPG but it is a fantastic game and highly replayable as well.

Catbert 11-11-2004 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirus
System Shock 2 is pretty scary. I'm not sure if it qualifies as a horror game though.

Been there, done that. I'll try the Black Mirror, but keep giving suggestions, eh?

SamNMax 11-11-2004 08:29 AM

Alien VS. Preditor

timcclayton 11-11-2004 08:44 AM

Quote:

I just wanna get spooked, you know.

Well, keep looking at your avatar - that should do the trick... :D

("Hello, Dave......is that you, Dave......") :devil:

Catbert 11-11-2004 09:24 AM

Oh Papa Lazarou is more freaky in the way he says "Tell them the circus is coming to town".

MDMaster 11-11-2004 10:41 AM

Hmm, there are a few great C64 classics but I don't know if you appreciate retrogaming enough to play it. Anyway if you're up for it, try Bride of Frankestein.

Talking about more recent games, I would recommend trying the whole Splatterhouse series (especially the 3), although they are not such good games, they do well in recapturing some movies atmosphere (i.e Re-animator). And let's not forget about the Blood series either, especially the first one.

Dark Veil 11-12-2004 12:12 AM

Here are some good horror themed games in the action department;

Blood 1 & 2
Undying (Clive Barker!)
Alien vs Predator 1 & 2
Nightmare Creatures
Doom 3 (actually pretty scary)
House of the Dead 2 (I know it's a shallow 'on rails' shooter but I really enjoyed it just the same)
The Thing
Nocturne

and -wait for it-

the totally underrated and relatively unknown fps/adventure hybrid

Realms of the Haunting!!! (Bloody Brilliant)

stepurhan 11-12-2004 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Veil
and -wait for it-

the totally underrated and relatively unknown fps/adventure hybrid

Realms of the Haunting!!! (Bloody Brilliant)

I knew there was something else in my collection that would go well here. Good call Dark Veil :) . Really good for length as well.

Isak 11-12-2004 03:32 PM

Well if you want to have Resident Evil style, try Obscure. It's actually pretty good, besided you can be two players if it's to scary :P. The cool thing with Obscure it's let's say you find a gund and a flashlight. That's not so good, because then you gotto hold your gun in one hand and the flashlight in the other... But after a while you might find celotape and tape the flashlight with the gun. Then you can use your other hand to e.g. take up a ironbar or something, so you are double armed. Pretty cool.

VoodooFX 11-12-2004 05:19 PM

Silent Hill 1 for playstation(playable in psx emulators on PC). Second & third one to some extent too, haven't played the fourth one yet.

I hear Sacrifice is spooky too.

MDMaster 11-13-2004 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VoodooFX
I hear Sacrifice is spooky too.

Yeah, in a very 'Shiny' kind of way :D

Helen 11-13-2004 09:33 AM

Either of the "Fatal Frame" Games, I love the "Resident Evil" games, but have to say as far as spook factor go's the "Fatal Frame" games are great, IMO of course. :)
Didnt really find "Black Mirror" spooky at all, but did enjoy it.

Helen 11-13-2004 09:36 AM

oops, sorry, just realized you were talking pc games only and I dont think either of the "Fatal Frame" games are for the pc. PS2 only I believe.

ADVENTURE-RAIDER 11-13-2004 10:02 AM

Quote:

What good horror games do you reccomend I get? I've been trying out the first resident evil game for PC and I liked the setting, so I got RE3 and I liked it also. Please try to leave Silent Hill out of this :P I hate those. It doesn't have to involve action, it could be adventure, I just wanna get spooked, you know.

If you are interested on horror/thriller adventure games, try these:

DARKSEED
DARKSEED 2
I HAVE NO MOUTH AND I MUST SCREAM
JOHN SAUL'S BLACKSTONE CHRONICLES
THE 7th GUEST
MIDNIGHT NOWHERE
THE 11th HOUR
NOCTROPOLIS
PRISONER OF ICE