Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   New Psychonauts trailer, screenshots, wallpaper, website! Schafery goodness within! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/4939-new-psychonauts-trailer-screenshots-wallpaper-website-schafery-goodness-within.html)

Jake 10-02-2004 02:20 PM

New Psychonauts trailer, screenshots, wallpaper, website! Schafery goodness within!

Doug Tabacco just informed me that http://www.psychonauts.com is now awesome.

There's a new video trailer for the game as well as a bunch of other great Psychonauts goodies.

You need to sign up for an account type thing to get to the trailer, but whatever, you are a friend of Majesco and surely they'd never spam you except with Psychonauts news and information about Spongebob GBA video carts, so go check it out.

The trailer is great, full of Schafer dialogue madness. Sadly the music is weird and sounds like a public domain Beetlejuice ripoff (not like Peter McConnell, who is fully scoring the game itself)... but ignore that bit and bask in the happy.

The Seed 10-02-2004 03:07 PM

Oh My God! Two Headed Baby in motion!

Seriously though, that was some trailer, both script and voice acting sound first class, it looks like a movie.

If that trailer is any thing to go by, it looks as though Tim Schafer is at his creative best.

"Milly, a deranged mad man is building an army of psychic Death Tanks to take over the world, and there's no one who can stop him, except for you and me!"

"Oh my God!....Lets make out."

Absolutely hilarious!

jjacob 10-02-2004 03:26 PM

That trailer is awesome! :crazy: Tim Schafer has gone mad! In the best possible way! :D
http://www.psychonauts.com/images/Wa..._D-800x600.jpg
This is now my desktop wallpaper, minus the lower bar type thing. :D

Pappapisshu 10-02-2004 03:45 PM

Wow.

:\ <-- tears of joy

guybrush_guy 10-02-2004 03:50 PM

I think i crapped my pants with joy......

yep! it's crap in my pants

Henke 10-02-2004 04:49 PM

That trailer actually looked rather promising. I just hope the game won't have traditional platform gameplay only.

Jake 10-02-2004 04:57 PM

From what we've seen, the amount of adventureness changes from level to level. Basically the game is set up with a sort of hub world of the summer camp which functions sort of like the Hyrule overworld functions in Zelda. Then much like the dungeons in a zelda game, there are various people you encounter throughout the game whose heads you enter. Inside each head (each its own "level") is sort of an adventure game platforming hybrid.

Some of the levels are basically mini adventure stories or objectives except you get from place to place by jumping around, whlie others are a lot more platformey, but they'll have the occasional dialogue tree conversation with a character or necessary inventory. Of course if you look at the screenshots around it's clear that there are also bits of fighting games, racing games, even boardgames in there depending on the level.

From demos Schafer has given to Mojo at E3 and at Double Fine it's easy to confirm that the game does have adventure game style inventory for your character as well as adventure style dialogue with conversation trees as well as some excellent classic Schafer cutscenes. This is in addition to the more consoley psychic powers (merit badges) Raz earns as he progresses through the game, though those are used along with the inventory to solve puzzles as well as to fight guys.

It's by no means a straight platformer. Maybe the first game to actually deserve the genre label "action/adventure?"

Legolas813 10-02-2004 05:18 PM

O...M...G

this just became my most anticipated game of 2005!!!......that is one of the best game trailers i have seen in a long time......the game looks very, very promising

jjacob 10-02-2004 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake
It's by no means a straight platformer. Maybe the first game to actually deserve the genre label "action/adventure?"

Nice description but you can't just exclude BG&E from that title! ;)
So... second place (First Actual "Action/Adventure") is still available, not bad at all.

remixor 10-02-2004 06:27 PM

Surely you can't exclude Ico! Psychonauts must be the third! Actually, who gives a crap! (?)

jjacob 10-02-2004 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remixor
Surely you can't exclude Ico! Psychonauts must be the third! Actually, who gives a crap! (?)

Trep? :)

Intrepid Homoludens 10-02-2004 06:52 PM

:shifty:

*ahem* Anyway....

I didn't know you had to register to get to the trailer!

LMAO:

Raz: "Billie, a deranged madman is building an army of psychic death tanks to take over the world! And there's no one who can stop him. Except for you and me!"

Billie: "O my god! Let's make out!"

I seriously hope the whole script will have this quality! :D

Oh, and this trailer MUST ABSOLUTELY BE SHOWN IN THEATERS! Don't you think?

remixor 10-02-2004 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Billie

*cough* Lili *cough* Er, ahem, carry on.

Quote:

I seriously hope the whole script will have this quality! :D
I wouldn't worry too much

Quote:

Oh, and this trailer MUST ABSOLUTELY BE SHOWN IN THEATERS! Don't you think?
Man, that would be awesome, but I wouldn't hold out for Majesco to take up the torch.

Intrepid Homoludens 10-02-2004 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remixor
*cough* Lili *cough* Er, ahem, carry on.

Okay okay! :shifty:

Jake 10-02-2004 10:14 PM

Man. (a slightly cleaned up version with real music version of) This trailer in theaters would destroy me, and everyone else.

Pappapisshu 10-03-2004 01:40 AM

How come that when I try to access the site through the same link right now, I only get to the Majesco site (the one you'll get to through majescogames), that's only got five screenshots and some game features? How do I do to get back to the flash thing with the logo and the brain and...gah!?

The Seed 10-03-2004 02:02 AM

Regardless of how the gameplay turns out, the story and characters should be enough to sell this game, at least as far as I'm concerned.

I just hope they take into account that some of us aren't hardcore platform gamers, maybe they'll include some kind of hardness settings. I hate those situations where I spend 60 attempts at one particular sequence without success, especially if there's a brilliant story to be getting on with.

GED X-42 10-03-2004 02:21 AM

Most Excellent Trailer *air guitars* :D

Definately must get this Doubly Fine game.

(note to self: stop using double fine puns)

nordic_guy 10-03-2004 02:35 AM

Argh! The site is so slow right now, and the trailer stopped downloading all of a sudden. :(
I guess I'll have to get back to this one later. But from the sound of it, it'll be worth the wait.

EDIT: Just saw the thing, and I'm very impressed. But that is to be expected, knowing who's in charge of this game. Summer 2005 seems very far away right now.

Jake 10-03-2004 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Seed
I just hope they take into account that some of us aren't hardcore platform gamers, maybe they'll include some kind of hardness settings. I hate those situations where I spend 60 attempts at one particular sequence without success, especially if there's a brilliant story to be getting on with.

Don't hold your breath. I think you're the one who's going to have to do some learning and growing, not the game :)