You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General New Psychonauts trailer, screenshots, wallpaper, website! Schafery goodness within!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2004, 02:20 PM   #1
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Default New Psychonauts trailer, screenshots, wallpaper, website! Schafery goodness within!

Doug Tabacco just informed me that http://www.psychonauts.com is now awesome.

There's a new video trailer for the game as well as a bunch of other great Psychonauts goodies.

You need to sign up for an account type thing to get to the trailer, but whatever, you are a friend of Majesco and surely they'd never spam you except with Psychonauts news and information about Spongebob GBA video carts, so go check it out.

The trailer is great, full of Schafer dialogue madness. Sadly the music is weird and sounds like a public domain Beetlejuice ripoff (not like Peter McConnell, who is fully scoring the game itself)... but ignore that bit and bask in the happy.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 10-02-2004, 03:07 PM   #2
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Oh My God! Two Headed Baby in motion!

Seriously though, that was some trailer, both script and voice acting sound first class, it looks like a movie.

If that trailer is any thing to go by, it looks as though Tim Schafer is at his creative best.

"Milly, a deranged mad man is building an army of psychic Death Tanks to take over the world, and there's no one who can stop him, except for you and me!"

"Oh my God!....Lets make out."

Absolutely hilarious!

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 10-02-2004, 03:26 PM   #3

That trailer is awesome! Tim Schafer has gone mad! In the best possible way!

This is now my desktop wallpaper, minus the lower bar type thing.
Old 10-02-2004, 03:45 PM   #4
rare groove

Send a message via ICQ to Pappapisshu

Wow.

<-- tears of joy
Old 10-02-2004, 03:50 PM   #5
guybrush_guy

I think i crapped my pants with joy......

yep! it's crap in my pants

Old 10-02-2004, 04:49 PM   #6
Headbanger

That trailer actually looked rather promising. I just hope the game won't have traditional platform gameplay only.
Old 10-02-2004, 04:57 PM   #7
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

From what we've seen, the amount of adventureness changes from level to level. Basically the game is set up with a sort of hub world of the summer camp which functions sort of like the Hyrule overworld functions in Zelda. Then much like the dungeons in a zelda game, there are various people you encounter throughout the game whose heads you enter. Inside each head (each its own "level") is sort of an adventure game platforming hybrid.

Some of the levels are basically mini adventure stories or objectives except you get from place to place by jumping around, whlie others are a lot more platformey, but they'll have the occasional dialogue tree conversation with a character or necessary inventory. Of course if you look at the screenshots around it's clear that there are also bits of fighting games, racing games, even boardgames in there depending on the level.

From demos Schafer has given to Mojo at E3 and at Double Fine it's easy to confirm that the game does have adventure game style inventory for your character as well as adventure style dialogue with conversation trees as well as some excellent classic Schafer cutscenes. This is in addition to the more consoley psychic powers (merit badges) Raz earns as he progresses through the game, though those are used along with the inventory to solve puzzles as well as to fight guys.

It's by no means a straight platformer. Maybe the first game to actually deserve the genre label "action/adventure?"

Old 10-02-2004, 05:18 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

O...M...G

this just became my most anticipated game of 2005!!!......that is one of the best game trailers i have seen in a long time......the game looks very, very promising
Old 10-02-2004, 06:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
It's by no means a straight platformer. Maybe the first game to actually deserve the genre label "action/adventure?"
Nice description but you can't just exclude BG&E from that title!
So... second place (First Actual "Action/Adventure") is still available, not bad at all.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:27 PM   #10
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Surely you can't exclude Ico! Psychonauts must be the third! Actually, who gives a crap! (?)

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-02-2004, 06:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Surely you can't exclude Ico! Psychonauts must be the third! Actually, who gives a crap! (?)
Trep?
Old 10-02-2004, 06:52 PM   #12
merely human

*ahem* Anyway....

I didn't know you had to register to get to the trailer!

LMAO:

Raz: "Billie, a deranged madman is building an army of psychic death tanks to take over the world! And there's no one who can stop him. Except for you and me!"

Billie: "O my god! Let's make out!"

I seriously hope the whole script will have this quality!

Oh, and this trailer MUST ABSOLUTELY BE SHOWN IN THEATERS! Don't you think?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-02-2004, 06:58 PM   #13
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Billie
*cough* Lili *cough* Er, ahem, carry on.

Quote:
I seriously hope the whole script will have this quality!
I wouldn't worry too much

Quote:
Oh, and this trailer MUST ABSOLUTELY BE SHOWN IN THEATERS! Don't you think?
Man, that would be awesome, but I wouldn't hold out for Majesco to take up the torch.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-02-2004, 07:08 PM   #14
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
*cough* Lili *cough* Er, ahem, carry on.
Okay okay!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-02-2004, 10:14 PM   #15
The Dartmaster

Man. (a slightly cleaned up version with real music version of) This trailer in theaters would destroy me, and everyone else.

Old 10-03-2004, 01:40 AM   #16
rare groove

Send a message via ICQ to Pappapisshu

How come that when I try to access the site through the same link right now, I only get to the Majesco site (the one you'll get to through majescogames), that's only got five screenshots and some game features? How do I do to get back to the flash thing with the logo and the brain and...gah!?

Old 10-03-2004, 02:02 AM   #17
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Regardless of how the gameplay turns out, the story and characters should be enough to sell this game, at least as far as I'm concerned.

I just hope they take into account that some of us aren't hardcore platform gamers, maybe they'll include some kind of hardness settings. I hate those situations where I spend 60 attempts at one particular sequence without success, especially if there's a brilliant story to be getting on with.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 10-03-2004, 02:21 AM   #18

Most Excellent Trailer *air guitars*

Definately must get this Doubly Fine game.

(note to self: stop using double fine puns)
Old 10-03-2004, 02:35 AM   #19

Argh! The site is so slow right now, and the trailer stopped downloading all of a sudden.
I guess I'll have to get back to this one later. But from the sound of it, it'll be worth the wait.

EDIT: Just saw the thing, and I'm very impressed. But that is to be expected, knowing who's in charge of this game. Summer 2005 seems very far away right now.

Last edited by nordic_guy; 10-03-2004 at 03:00 AM.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:17 AM   #20
The Dartmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seed
I just hope they take into account that some of us aren't hardcore platform gamers, maybe they'll include some kind of hardness settings. I hate those situations where I spend 60 attempts at one particular sequence without success, especially if there's a brilliant story to be getting on with.
Don't hold your breath. I think you're the one who's going to have to do some learning and growing, not the game