Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Most annoying gaming phrases (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/18449-most-annoying-gaming-phrases.html)

Manhunter71 01-11-2007 06:45 PM

Most annoying gaming phrases

I'm just wondering what arer people's most annoying phrases when it comes to describing games???

Mine is "I just beat the game!"

This really annoys me because when I play a game, I don't see it as a contest between me and the game - its more like I am playing the game to a certain conclusion!
It's a journey, not a contest!

Your feedback is welcomed :)

Intrepid Homoludens 01-11-2007 06:50 PM

;) It's a game, isn't it? You're supposed to beat it, it's a challenge. The challenge is part of the fun, part of the experience. Thus 'beating a game' isn't much different from 'playing it to a certain conclusion'.

Variations:

"I played that game all the way to end."
"I finished that game."
"I got through that game."

Spiwak 01-11-2007 06:55 PM

"killer graphics"

samIamsad 01-11-2007 06:56 PM

Press releases that go like

Quote:

Gamers will experience smooth, cinematic experiences that far exceed anything they've seen or felt before.
That eventually means: Just about every press release out there. Ugh. :D

Manhunter71 01-11-2007 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens (Post 380500)
;) It's a game, isn't it? You're supposed to beat it, it's a challenge. The challenge is part of the fun, part of the experience. Thus 'beating a game' isn't much different from 'playing it to a certain conclusion'.

I'm not sure Trep - when I play an adventure game - I don't feel I have beaten it, I have just played it out to it's natural conclusion....

I suppose we all have diffferent ideas - I just don't like that phrase

Intrepid Homoludens 01-11-2007 07:04 PM

http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/owen/PBsmile2.gif I beat Gabriel Knight 3.

I'm pretty sure of my own take on it. If there isn't a challenge to 'beat' it wouldn't be a game, would it?

Spiwak 01-11-2007 07:06 PM

Manhunter sees "adventure games" as interactive stories, that's all. You'd have to play only adventure games to say that, though.

samIamsad 01-11-2007 07:07 PM

Well, of course we do, Mansie. :) Human after all. I'm surprised that nobody has brought up

Quote:

Adventure Games® are dead.
yet. But then, this thread *is* only four or five odd posts old, and it's hidden somewhere in the General gaming section where many of the potentially annoyed may never go, too. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens (Post 380506)

Knowing you, you would have much preferred to have beaten three times Gabriel Knight. :P

Aj_ 01-11-2007 07:39 PM

I think there's a bit of personification going on, in the UK we don't do it with games, we don't "beat" games, but we do "beat" a clock, the clock, or time itself. I think beat is meant for opponents, you have to personify things to say you beat them. I don't think most games themselves can be considered opponents, or a challenge, they contain challenges. Not a fan of the phrase either.

Junkface 01-12-2007 01:51 AM

I also dislike talk of "beating games"; it seems to me to completely miss the point in that for me games are more about an experience rather than some masturbatory contest. People who talk about having clocked games (particularly with the word "fucking" as a preface, as in "I fucking clocked Pokemon") annoy the hell out of me too as it seems to have this desperate, pseudo macho tone to it. People who refer to adventures as "point and clicks" irritate me, as it confuses a type of interface with a style of gameplay and encourages a regressive attitude. And game series being called franchises enrages me because it recognises them solely as business endeavours and seems to leave out everything actually interesting about them. I have the same problem with movies.

Jelena 01-12-2007 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manhunter71 (Post 380496)
Mine is "I just beat the game!"

This really annoys me because when I play a game, I don't see it as a contest between me and the game - its more like I am playing the game to a certain conclusion!
It's a journey, not a contest!

I agree with you. To me, not having English as a first language, it sounds really odd.
I prefer to say I've finished a game.

Dasilva 01-12-2007 06:00 AM

''Hard core gammers''.

SoccerDude28 01-12-2007 10:06 AM

"Next-gen" anything

bysmitty 01-12-2007 12:08 PM

^ Agreed. All this "next-gen" this and "next-gen" that makes me want to puke.

Also, talk about HD, resolutions, and fps also drives me nuts. It's as if the game itself has no importance, just the graphics. On top of that, this info means nothing about what a game will look like. It all depends on how complex the visuals are at these specs. I have a Pentium 2 that can run visuals at 1920x1200 @ 60fps. The visuals will be very simple in nature and won't look good but who cares, it's in HD!!!

...bysmitty

Intrepid Homoludens 01-12-2007 12:18 PM

Most anything the marketers of game publishers crap out. I cannot stand bull**** terms like 'revolutionary gameplay', 'groundbreaking', 'sophisticated A.I.', 'the most advanced graphics engine', etc.

:(

Intrepid Homoludens 01-12-2007 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelena (Post 380565)
I agree with you. To me, not having English as a first language, it sounds really odd.
I prefer to say I've finished a game.

The argument is really more about semantics, I think.

artwking4 01-12-2007 12:29 PM

"gripping storyline", especially when it's misspelled as "griping"

undeaf 01-12-2007 12:32 PM

Hehehe, gripe-ing story.:D

ATMachine 01-12-2007 01:39 PM

Heh, I thought at first the title said "Most annoying gaming phases". I was totally going to vote for FMV. ;)

But add me in to the people complaining about boilerplate press releases.

Jelena 01-13-2007 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens (Post 380711)
The argument is really more about semantics, I think.

I'm sure it is for you who speak English as first language. To me, it's a language/translation issue. It's an expression that I have trouble fitting in in my English vocabulary and stock of expressions. (Another similar example is "my bad". )