You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Most annoying gaming phrases

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Default Most annoying gaming phrases

I'm just wondering what arer people's most annoying phrases when it comes to describing games???

Mine is "I just beat the game!"

This really annoys me because when I play a game, I don't see it as a contest between me and the game - its more like I am playing the game to a certain conclusion!
It's a journey, not a contest!

Your feedback is welcomed
Old 01-11-2007, 06:50 PM   #2
merely human

It's a game, isn't it? You're supposed to beat it, it's a challenge. The challenge is part of the fun, part of the experience. Thus 'beating a game' isn't much different from 'playing it to a certain conclusion'.

Variations:

"I played that game all the way to end."
"I finished that game."
"I got through that game."
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-11-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
is not wierd

"killer graphics"
Old 01-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
capsized.

Press releases that go like

Quote:
Gamers will experience smooth, cinematic experiences that far exceed anything they've seen or felt before.
That eventually means: Just about every press release out there. Ugh.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:59 PM   #5
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
It's a game, isn't it? You're supposed to beat it, it's a challenge. The challenge is part of the fun, part of the experience. Thus 'beating a game' isn't much different from 'playing it to a certain conclusion'.

I'm not sure Trep - when I play an adventure game - I don't feel I have beaten it, I have just played it out to it's natural conclusion....

I suppose we all have diffferent ideas - I just don't like that phrase
Old 01-11-2007, 07:04 PM   #6
merely human

I beat Gabriel Knight 3.

I'm pretty sure of my own take on it. If there isn't a challenge to 'beat' it wouldn't be a game, would it?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-11-2007, 07:06 PM   #7
is not wierd

Manhunter sees "adventure games" as interactive stories, that's all. You'd have to play only adventure games to say that, though.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:07 PM   #8
capsized.

Well, of course we do, Mansie. Human after all. I'm surprised that nobody has brought up

Quote:
Adventure Games® are dead.
yet. But then, this thread *is* only four or five odd posts old, and it's hidden somewhere in the General gaming section where many of the potentially annoyed may never go, too.

Quote:
I beat Gabriel Knight 3.

Knowing you, you would have much preferred to have beaten three times Gabriel Knight.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:39 PM   #9
Aj_
Beyond Belief

I think there's a bit of personification going on, in the UK we don't do it with games, we don't "beat" games, but we do "beat" a clock, the clock, or time itself. I think beat is meant for opponents, you have to personify things to say you beat them. I don't think most games themselves can be considered opponents, or a challenge, they contain challenges. Not a fan of the phrase either.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:51 AM   #10
Grah! Grah!

I also dislike talk of "beating games"; it seems to me to completely miss the point in that for me games are more about an experience rather than some masturbatory contest. People who talk about having clocked games (particularly with the word "fucking" as a preface, as in "I fucking clocked Pokemon") annoy the hell out of me too as it seems to have this desperate, pseudo macho tone to it. People who refer to adventures as "point and clicks" irritate me, as it confuses a type of interface with a style of gameplay and encourages a regressive attitude. And game series being called franchises enrages me because it recognises them solely as business endeavours and seems to leave out everything actually interesting about them. I have the same problem with movies.

Last edited by Junkface; 01-12-2007 at 02:07 AM.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:23 AM   #11
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71 View Post
Mine is "I just beat the game!"

This really annoys me because when I play a game, I don't see it as a contest between me and the game - its more like I am playing the game to a certain conclusion!
It's a journey, not a contest!
I agree with you. To me, not having English as a first language, it sounds really odd.
I prefer to say I've finished a game.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:00 AM   #12
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

''Hard core gammers''.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 01-12-2007, 10:06 AM   #13
Homer of Kittens

"Next-gen" anything

Firefox rules
Old 01-12-2007, 12:08 PM   #14
Bad command or file name

^ Agreed. All this "next-gen" this and "next-gen" that makes me want to puke.

Also, talk about HD, resolutions, and fps also drives me nuts. It's as if the game itself has no importance, just the graphics. On top of that, this info means nothing about what a game will look like. It all depends on how complex the visuals are at these specs. I have a Pentium 2 that can run visuals at 1920x1200 @ 60fps. The visuals will be very simple in nature and won't look good but who cares, it's in HD!!!

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 01-12-2007, 12:18 PM   #15
merely human

Most anything the marketers of game publishers crap out. I cannot stand bull**** terms like 'revolutionary gameplay', 'groundbreaking', 'sophisticated A.I.', 'the most advanced graphics engine', etc.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:19 PM   #16
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
I agree with you. To me, not having English as a first language, it sounds really odd.
I prefer to say I've finished a game.
The argument is really more about semantics, I think.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:29 PM   #17
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

"gripping storyline", especially when it's misspelled as "griping"
Old 01-12-2007, 12:32 PM   #18

Hehehe, gripe-ing story.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:39 PM   #19
Retired Buccaneer

Heh, I thought at first the title said "Most annoying gaming phases". I was totally going to vote for FMV.

But add me in to the people complaining about boilerplate press releases.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:37 AM   #20
Lazy Bee

Quote:
The argument is really more about semantics, I think.
I'm sure it is for you who speak English as first language. To me, it's a language/translation issue. It's an expression that I have trouble fitting in in my English vocabulary and stock of expressions. (Another similar example is "my bad". )