Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Last finished game (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/14290-last-finished-game.html)

insane_cobra 07-21-2006 09:11 AM

I finished Messiah and I must say I really liked it, despite it being the single buggiest game I've ever played, ToEE included. The ending is stupid (though the final boss battle is fun), the controls clunky (which is especially evident during the many platforming sections) and level design very old school, but it has that addictive just-one-more-level quality that keeps you playing no matter what.

Like some reviewers already noted, there are occasional glimpses of brilliance and it's a shame that the rest of the game doesn't live up to those rare high moments. Still, if you can handle the vast amount of technical flaws and are patient enough to get to grips with the gameplay mechanics through a process of trial and error (a good tutorial level would be very helpful, but there isn't one), I'd definitely recommend this game.

RLacey 07-21-2006 12:04 PM

^ that sounds like a review of every recent Shiny game...

I Love Cookiemonster 07-21-2006 12:43 PM

F.e.a.r. of Full Throttle. i don't remember. Loved them both though. Although fear could become a bit of a drag. Fable was cool to, only a bit to easy.

8/10 for both

MdaG 07-21-2006 01:01 PM

Gabriel Knight 2 - Beast within :z
Disapointing. All the hype around that one made me expect some kind of prodigal game... I find the other GK games far better.

SoccerDude28 07-21-2006 01:08 PM

Tomb Raider Legend:
8.5-10: Loved it. The platforming in this game is very similar to POP which is an awesome thing, and it has some very innovative and fun puzzles. The locales are beautiful and Lara looks :9~ My complaints are the sensitiveness of the controls (Lara can fall of a cliff very easily) which can be frustrating. Also there is in some cases a wrong notion of depth, where jumping to a close cliff leads you to fall to your death, but jumping to a far away pole works fine. But these are alleviated by frequent quick saves which is good. So bottom line, Lara is back and she is looking fine.

insane_cobra 07-28-2006 12:51 PM

Done with Halo. It's a very good game, I can definitely see why it became such a huge hit. The only things that really bother me are repetitive gameplay (though it's mostly fun and challenging so that's forgivable) and awfully repetitive level design.

Everything looks so similar and so clinically sterile, it's almost like Tron without the neon accents. The human ships look almost exactly like the Covenant ships which in turn look almost exactly like Halo's own structures. And they're all mostly comprised of virtually indentical corridors, with a larger room of often mysterious functionality thrown in for good measure. Where do all those aliens and space marines sleep? Do they eat? Don't they need to go to the toilet from time to time? It's like they haven't really given level design much thought.

The exteriors are also quite barren, but it's an alien world so I can buy that. The worst thing is I hear Halo 2 isn't much different in that regard. What a shame. Hope they rectify that in the last part of the trilogy.

The story is fine, not an SF masterpiece some people would lead you to believe, but quite servicable. It provides a great foundation for things to come. The presentation is not bad, but I've become so accustomed to Half-Life's way of handling things that every first person game using completely scripted cutscenes (from a third person perspective, no less) looks anachronistic in my eyes.

The combat is really juicy so no need to waste any space on that, it's one of the core reasons behind Halo's popularity. Haven't played it in multiplayer, but I can imagine how fun it must be.

The porting to PC could've been handled better, it's an extremely power hungry beast. The final escape sequence played in slow motion on my machine and it's at least three times as fast as the minimally required one.

The checkpoint system is also a travesty. I have nothing against checkpoint systems in general, but this one doesn't work too well. It's fine in the beginning, but later on there's just not enough checkpoints. Forcing people to replay large chunks of the game is not cool.

All in all, it was an experience well worth the time and money spent, but could've been much better nonetheless.

Nenad 07-28-2006 03:01 PM

I've Just Finished Nibiru. I Was Expecting Something Like Myst, But It Was Acceptable After All. It's A Short Game (i Think...) Should I Expect Some Expansion(s) Or Sth?

[toj.cc]Phantom 07-30-2006 06:08 AM

Discworld 2

JemyM 07-30-2006 11:16 AM

Dreamfall...

Cold-Factor 08-05-2006 03:38 PM

I finished the "story" mode of Tony Hawk's Underground 2 a short while back.

insane_cobra 08-11-2006 12:38 PM

Half-Life 2: Episode One. Had some nags with it in the beginning, but no, it's terrific. Just the right length, too.

Jelena 08-15-2006 10:26 AM

I just finished Syberia: beautiful music, easy puzzles and a great story. Not in my top five though. I didn't feel absorbed by the game and (perhaps I'm picky but) Kate voice acting didn't feel like natural conversation to me, more like she was reading her lines.
But I will start looking for Syberia II since from what I've read around here it's well worth playing.

Catbert 08-15-2006 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilco
Episode 2 will only be available in 6 months, and in Steam I think the pre-orders only begin when you can actually pre-load the game.
But when it is released, they will probably patch the first one to include that option at end.
I wonder if episode 2 will begin with "previously on Half-Life 2..." :)

YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHY YOU KEEP PUSHING THOSE BUTTONS LOCKE!

wicked 08-15-2006 03:47 PM

Safecracker - 7/10

Roman5 08-15-2006 04:24 PM

I finished safecracker which was excellent.

Stiltzkin 08-15-2006 04:42 PM

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow - 8.5

Solid game, very much worth the money, but nothing revolutionary either. Multiple endings/play modes. Great fun.

Jelena 08-31-2006 12:31 PM

I just finished Return To Mysterious Island and I'm plesantly surprised. I haven't seen much about it here on the forums so buying it was sort of taking a chance.
Although the inventory puzzles were dominating big time (don't even think of this game Mory ;) ) there still were a couple of logic puzzles that were just perfect.
And I did enjoy the inventory puzzles and all the combining to make new smart things for survival.

insane_cobra 08-31-2006 12:49 PM

Psychonauts.

Maquisard 08-31-2006 06:19 PM

Jade Empire. :D

MoriartyL 09-06-2006 10:50 AM

Sonic Adventure (DX)

Sonic and Tails were sloppy but fast enough to be fun, with excellent camera work and some brilliant set pieces. The rest were terrible, with Amy and Big in particular lacking any redeeming moments at all. The game is further dragged down by an inane plot given much too much attention, a boring and obvious overworld, shameless repetition, and ridiculous pacing which seems to have been given no thought at all. And the music hurt my ears. Though I will be back many times for Sonic's and Tails' levels, I have to give the whole package
2/5

Curt 09-06-2006 11:42 AM

Still Life - 8/10 :)

I Love Cookiemonster 09-06-2006 11:50 AM

Gabriel Knight: Sins Of The Fathers

kuze 09-11-2006 08:50 AM

Just finished Tunguska. I'd give it 8.5/10 - it is good, but at the end the locations got somewhat boring and some of the puzzles much more difficult. I never had to use a walkthrough or the ingame "puzzle help", so the game still was pretty easy overall.

Giligan 09-12-2006 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuze
Just finished Tunguska. I'd give it 8.5/10 - it is good, but at the end the locations got somewhat boring and some of the puzzles much more difficult. I never had to use a walkthrough or the ingame "puzzle help", so the game still was pretty easy overall.

Was Nicola Tesla involved in the story, by any chance?

kuze 09-12-2006 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giligan
Was Nicola Tesla involved in the story, by any chance?

Umm.. no.

Monroeski 09-12-2006 07:00 PM

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. 9 or 10 out of 10. Only way to play it is with the unofficial patches, they're awesome.

portabello 09-12-2006 09:43 PM

Half Life 2, um... Prime? The first one, not the episodic ones.
8.5/10. It was a fun game, but I just felt that it could have been better. I was kind of let down by the "puzzles" and stuff. The whole bit on the coast with the dune buggy was quite cool though.

RLacey 09-15-2006 02:30 PM

The Da Vinci Code, though I haven't yet done the "revisited" puzzles.

I feel so proud for actually finishing something...

Giligan 09-15-2006 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuze
Umm.. no.

Ridiculous. All of us conspiracy theorists know that the explosion came from Tesla's coil gun "death ray" being tested.

SoccerDude28 09-16-2006 09:48 AM

Kya: Dark Lineage

A very pleasant surprise. Reminds me a lot of Rayman, and in some weird way, Little Big Adventure. Has some very frustrating parts while playing it that can turn some people off, but just like Psychonauts, finishing it leaves you with a very satisfied feeling for a long time. It's one of those games that you don't know it's that good, till you are done with it and wish there is more of it.

9/10

Melanie68 09-16-2006 06:58 PM

Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman's Mine:

I really enjoyed this game. Things that turned some off were the narrator's voice, Al's voice, the cutscenes and the risque (but not raunchy) humour. I thought the narrator was very funny and his back and forth with Al was terrific. There are some who will never get used to it. I did pretty quickly and he becomes a character with whom you get attached. The cutscenes, while not perfect, were a small part of the game and they didn't bother me. The locations were colorful and very pleasing to my eye. The puzzles were fun and I liked how Al stored his inventory. :D There was one puzzle that seemed a little tedious (made less so by the map feature for quick zooming between locations) and Chapter 9 may frustrate some. It's the last and suspensful and you can die a few times. It's helpful to save your game often here when you get the chance so if you happen to leave it you don't have to redo some things. With the dying, you get the 'Try Again' so it's not too frustrating. I also want to add that the navigation was vastly improved with the addition of exit icons to go to the next screen. There was one location that I didn't realize I could get to until I clicked the cross icon on it but the rest of the locations were readily apparent.

There is so much interactivity - many things to click on and examine and try. You can show your inventory to everyone and get their comments on it (it can occasionally give you a clue).

It had a terrific story, great characters, terrific humour and was loads of fun.

9/10

insane_cobra 09-18-2006 10:13 AM

Kao The Kangaroo 2 demo. A me too platformer, colorful and competent, but utterly boring. Also, the worst soundtrack EVER!!!! What a waste of 20 minutes of my time. Kids might like it, though.

RLacey 09-18-2006 12:20 PM

Broken Sword: The Angel of Death

I had more fun with this than The Sleeping Dragon. It's a fun game, and it's good. Too many niggles with the implementation for it to be classed as "great", though.

SakSquash 09-18-2006 01:10 PM

You beat it already!?

I Love Cookiemonster 09-18-2006 01:15 PM

Broken Sword: The Angel Of Death

Not worth the money i paid for it.

RLacey 09-18-2006 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SakSquash
You beat it already!?

I'm on holiday, and it's been out for a few days. So yes. It's longer than BS3, mind you.

Lee in Limbo 09-18-2006 03:39 PM

I'm embarrassed to admit, I've not had enough time to finish any full length games in the last two months, and I have several installed, waiting, staring at me balefully and forelornly through their desktop icon eyes. It's kinda creepy, actually. No wonder I don't actually want to play any games when I finally have a few minutes of spare time.

I did finish the demo for Tunguska, I seem to remember another demo recently that I played and liked (I'll remember in a minute), I haven't gotten through the Broken Sword IV demo yet, and I think the last full game I actually played and finished... was Dreamfall.

Jelena 09-20-2006 04:41 AM

Broken Sword TSotT.
I've never felt this way for a cartoony style game before. :) It's definitely in my top 10.

I Love Cookiemonster 09-20-2006 05:18 AM

Fahrenheit

TangentBlack 09-20-2006 05:36 PM

I have finished Oblivion. I suppose I enjoyed it, though I, like many others, thought it to be quite repetitive the farther I got. I am beginning Call of Cthulhu, followed by the Fallout series, and Scrapland. I also purchase Evil Genius, which looks like fun.