Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Massachusetts court rules ban on gay marriage unconstitutional (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/943-massachusetts-court-rules-ban-gay-marriage-unconstitutional.html)

zarathustrian 11-18-2003 02:29 PM

Massachusetts court rules ban on gay marriage unconstitutional

Massachusetts court rules ban on gay marriage unconstitutional

I particularly like Bush's remarks:
Quote:

President Bush waded into the debate with a statement criticizing the ruling.

"Marriage is a sacred institution between a man and a woman," he said. "Today's decision ... violates this important principle. I will work with congressional leaders and others to do what is legally necessary to defend the sanctity of marriage."
What a dolt.

Phil25 11-18-2003 02:53 PM

Say what you want about our man Chretien, at least he never said anything that stupid. Oh Chretien...the memories...
[Montage of Prime Minister doing various activities: holding a press conference, speaking in the house of commons, lawn mowing, getting pied, strangling a protestor]

Sigh...oh, what were we talking about?

Titan 11-18-2003 06:42 PM

Is it doltish to put out a statement that, according to polling, 60% of Americans believe is the case?

Or is it that you believe it is doltish that Bush really believes what he is saying?

If the latter, then you are of course saying that 60% of Americans are doltish. While you would get agreement from the majority at this site on that point, all polling in Canada and Europe indicates a belief in his doltishness, but a respect for the American people. That sorta' flies in the face of intellectual honesty to say the least.

emma 11-18-2003 07:53 PM

However, supressing/opressing a minority in society never makes it okay because a majority wishes to do that. It doesn't matter which arguments are used when these things happens. We are all equal or not, can't be reasoned away. So say it like it is, some people are just not worth as much as I am, or shut up about it. Can't have basic rights for people and at the same time denying certain groups the very same rights.

remixor 11-18-2003 09:30 PM

Hooray for Massachusetts!

I already expect Bush to have the feelings he does; I'm over it. However, it pleases me that a judicial court would rule this way. It's not something I WOULDN'T expect, but it's not something I'd have been certain about either.

DomStLeger 11-19-2003 01:12 AM

I'd just like to point out theres a difference between a legal marriage and a religious marriage. I think Bush is confusing the matter, which is especially wrong in a country that is supposedly secular. The issue should have nothing to do with the religious defnition of marriage at all, and merely the extension of rights gained in the legal act of marriage to anyone who wants to make that commitment. The sooner he accepts that the better for everyone.

Marek 11-19-2003 01:47 AM

May God Bless America.

Secular?

Kolzig 11-19-2003 02:52 AM

America, the country I'll never be able to fully understand.

That Bush guy surely is a strange man...

Swordmaster 11-19-2003 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marek
Secular?

Britannica.com:
Quote:

Main Entry: 1sec·u·lar
Pronunciation: 'se-ky&-l&r
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French seculer, from Late Latin saecularis, from saeculum the present world, from Latin, generation, age, century, world; akin to Welsh hoedl lifetime
Date: 14th century
1 a : of or relating to the worldly or temporal <secular concerns> b : not overtly or specifically religious <secular music> c : not ecclesiastical or clerical <secular courts> <secular landowners>
2 : not bound by monastic vows or rules; specifically : of, relating to, or forming clergy not belonging to a religious order or congregation <a secular priest>
3 a : occurring once in an age or a century b : existing or continuing through ages or centuries c : of or relating to a long term of indefinite duration

Zygomaticus 11-19-2003 04:08 AM

Some people seem to follow a set of non-existant universal World Laws to base their judgement. I doubt there's anything said in "World Law" about Gay marriages being wrong or illegal. Nor is there any such thing in the Constitution, as far as my knowledge goes.

Ninja Dodo 11-19-2003 05:21 AM

A lot of people seem to think it says so in the bible anyway... (note: I'm not saying it does)

... don't get me started on Bush.:pan:

jaf 11-19-2003 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titan
Is it doltish to put out a statement that, according to polling, 60% of Americans believe is the case?

Or is it that you believe it is doltish that Bush really believes what he is saying?

If the latter, then you are of course saying that 60% of Americans are doltish. While you would get agreement from the majority at this site on that point, all polling in Canada and Europe indicates a belief in his doltishness, but a respect for the American people. That sorta' flies in the face of intellectual honesty to say the least.

It is doltish not to respect the "minority".

twifkak 11-19-2003 08:36 AM

It should be noted that the court case ruling doesn't mandate the state to marry the two "plaintiffs" (or whatever they're called). All it's doing is giving the state's legislative branch (that's funny-langue for "Congress") 180 days (I think that's the term, anywho) to come up with a semantic loophole to the legal marriage/religious marriage thing (most likely, the same "civil unions" that Vermont allows), or to amend the state's consitution, so that the court ruling becomes irrelevant. The state's governor is really opposed to letting two people of the same gender marry (and has the congress on his side, IIRC), so the latter is a lot more likely than it'd usually be (in the US, consitutional amendments are ass-harder to pass than laws).

And don't kindle the flame. :)

Marek 11-19-2003 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordmaster

Yes, I know the meaning of the word. :rolleyes: My two lines are to be read as one comment.

Zygomaticus 11-19-2003 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo
A lot of people seem to think it says so in the bible anyway... (note: I'm not saying it does)

... don't get me started on Bush.:pan:

Even then, those people seem to ignore that this is a country where there's supposed to be separation of "church and state."

Why must one religion dictate the way the country lives?

twifkak 11-19-2003 10:29 AM

One of the points brought up by a friend of mine is that if it was/were a full-on marriage, instead of a civil marriage, then if, say, a church denied you the right to wed under their services solely based on your genders, you would be able to sue (or, hypothetically, be able to win a lawsuit). I'm not an expert, so I can't confirm or deny that statement.

Garyos 11-19-2003 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twifkak
One of the points brought up by a friend of mine is that if it was/were a full-on marriage, instead of a civil marriage, then if, say, a church denied you the right to wed under their services solely based on your genders, you would be able to sue (or, hypothetically, be able to win a lawsuit). I'm not an expert, so I can't confirm or deny that statement.

Wouldn't the church be given a fine anyway?

twifkak 11-19-2003 11:00 AM

:confused: Why?

Garyos 11-19-2003 11:07 AM

Because it would be against the law?

twifkak 11-19-2003 12:59 PM

What law?