You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Massachusetts court rules ban on gay marriage unconstitutional

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2003, 02:29 PM   #1
The Robot Head of Love

Send a message via ICQ to zarathustrian Send a message via AIM to zarathustrian Send a message via MSN to zarathustrian Send a message via Yahoo to zarathustrian
Default Massachusetts court rules ban on gay marriage unconstitutional

Massachusetts court rules ban on gay marriage unconstitutional

I particularly like Bush's remarks:
Quote:
President Bush waded into the debate with a statement criticizing the ruling.

"Marriage is a sacred institution between a man and a woman," he said. "Today's decision ... violates this important principle. I will work with congressional leaders and others to do what is legally necessary to defend the sanctity of marriage."
What a dolt.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:53 PM   #2
Kosmonaut

Send a message via AIM to Phil25 Send a message via MSN to Phil25

Say what you want about our man Chretien, at least he never said anything that stupid. Oh Chretien...the memories...
[Montage of Prime Minister doing various activities: holding a press conference, speaking in the house of commons, lawn mowing, getting pied, strangling a protestor]

Sigh...oh, what were we talking about?

Old 11-18-2003, 06:42 PM   #3

Is it doltish to put out a statement that, according to polling, 60% of Americans believe is the case?

Or is it that you believe it is doltish that Bush really believes what he is saying?

If the latter, then you are of course saying that 60% of Americans are doltish. While you would get agreement from the majority at this site on that point, all polling in Canada and Europe indicates a belief in his doltishness, but a respect for the American people. That sorta' flies in the face of intellectual honesty to say the least.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:53 PM   #4
soffistical

However, supressing/opressing a minority in society never makes it okay because a majority wishes to do that. It doesn't matter which arguments are used when these things happens. We are all equal or not, can't be reasoned away. So say it like it is, some people are just not worth as much as I am, or shut up about it. Can't have basic rights for people and at the same time denying certain groups the very same rights.

Last edited by emma; 11-18-2003 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:30 PM   #5
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Hooray for Massachusetts!

I already expect Bush to have the feelings he does; I'm over it. However, it pleases me that a judicial court would rule this way. It's not something I WOULDN'T expect, but it's not something I'd have been certain about either.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 11-19-2003, 01:12 AM   #6
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

I'd just like to point out theres a difference between a legal marriage and a religious marriage. I think Bush is confusing the matter, which is especially wrong in a country that is supposedly secular. The issue should have nothing to do with the religious defnition of marriage at all, and merely the extension of rights gained in the legal act of marriage to anyone who wants to make that commitment. The sooner he accepts that the better for everyone.
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 11-19-2003, 01:47 AM   #7
Puts the 'e' in Mark

May God Bless America.

Secular?
Old 11-19-2003, 02:52 AM   #8
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

America, the country I'll never be able to fully understand.

That Bush guy surely is a strange man...
Old 11-19-2003, 03:49 AM   #9
comfortably numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
Secular?
Britannica.com:
Quote:
Main Entry: 1sec·u·lar
Pronunciation: 'se-ky&-l&r
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French seculer, from Late Latin saecularis, from saeculum the present world, from Latin, generation, age, century, world; akin to Welsh hoedl lifetime
Date: 14th century
1 a : of or relating to the worldly or temporal <secular concerns> b : not overtly or specifically religious <secular music> c : not ecclesiastical or clerical <secular courts> <secular landowners>
2 : not bound by monastic vows or rules; specifically : of, relating to, or forming clergy not belonging to a religious order or congregation <a secular priest>
3 a : occurring once in an age or a century b : existing or continuing through ages or centuries c : of or relating to a long term of indefinite duration

Old 11-19-2003, 04:08 AM   #10
Liver of Life

Some people seem to follow a set of non-existant universal World Laws to base their judgement. I doubt there's anything said in "World Law" about Gay marriages being wrong or illegal. Nor is there any such thing in the Constitution, as far as my knowledge goes.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:21 AM   #11

A lot of people seem to think it says so in the bible anyway... (note: I'm not saying it does)

... don't get me started on Bush.

Last edited by Ninja Dodo; 11-19-2003 at 05:32 AM.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:20 AM   #12
jaf
big, hairy and blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan
Is it doltish to put out a statement that, according to polling, 60% of Americans believe is the case?

Or is it that you believe it is doltish that Bush really believes what he is saying?

If the latter, then you are of course saying that 60% of Americans are doltish. While you would get agreement from the majority at this site on that point, all polling in Canada and Europe indicates a belief in his doltishness, but a respect for the American people. That sorta' flies in the face of intellectual honesty to say the least.
It is doltish not to respect the "minority".
Old 11-19-2003, 08:36 AM   #13
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

It should be noted that the court case ruling doesn't mandate the state to marry the two "plaintiffs" (or whatever they're called). All it's doing is giving the state's legislative branch (that's funny-langue for "Congress") 180 days (I think that's the term, anywho) to come up with a semantic loophole to the legal marriage/religious marriage thing (most likely, the same "civil unions" that Vermont allows), or to amend the state's consitution, so that the court ruling becomes irrelevant. The state's governor is really opposed to letting two people of the same gender marry (and has the congress on his side, IIRC), so the latter is a lot more likely than it'd usually be (in the US, consitutional amendments are ass-harder to pass than laws).

And don't kindle the flame.

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 11-19-2003, 09:50 AM   #14
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordmaster
Yes, I know the meaning of the word. My two lines are to be read as one comment.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:22 AM   #15
Liver of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo
A lot of people seem to think it says so in the bible anyway... (note: I'm not saying it does)

... don't get me started on Bush.
Even then, those people seem to ignore that this is a country where there's supposed to be separation of "church and state."

Why must one religion dictate the way the country lives?
Old 11-19-2003, 10:29 AM   #16

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

One of the points brought up by a friend of mine is that if it was/were a full-on marriage, instead of a civil marriage, then if, say, a church denied you the right to wed under their services solely based on your genders, you would be able to sue (or, hypothetically, be able to win a lawsuit). I'm not an expert, so I can't confirm or deny that statement.

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 11-19-2003, 10:45 AM   #17
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by twifkak
One of the points brought up by a friend of mine is that if it was/were a full-on marriage, instead of a civil marriage, then if, say, a church denied you the right to wed under their services solely based on your genders, you would be able to sue (or, hypothetically, be able to win a lawsuit). I'm not an expert, so I can't confirm or deny that statement.
Wouldn't the church be given a fine anyway?
Old 11-19-2003, 11:00 AM   #18

Why?

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"
Old 11-19-2003, 11:07 AM   #19
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

Because it would be against the law?
Old 11-19-2003, 12:59 PM   #20

What law?

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"