Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Recent movies seen (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/9181-recent-movies-seen.html)

Spiwak 11-04-2006 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiwak (Post 361611)
In any case, it's a very intelligent comedy that will make you feel guilty for laughing.

Just as I said, right? Thanks for the review snippet, Mel. Apparently virtually everyone's loving this movie. 96% at Rottentomatoes last I checked.

Must feel nice to be Sacha Baron Cohen right now...and really shitty to be the Kazakhstani government.

pinkgothic 11-05-2006 02:18 AM

I so expect to hate that movie - comedies have to be extra good for me to like them, and I've never fancied those who make an utter fool out of people, because: If I want to see fools, I just need to leave the house and glance at the first three people. At least one of them will be an utter fool. And so, frankly, I don't need comedies to pad that out for me.

But knowing me (or rather, knowing BoyToy), I'll probably go see it. I'll let you know if it makes me smirk.

Maquisard 11-05-2006 03:13 AM

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan. Sasha Kohen has a gift for tricking people into saying homophobic, sexist and anti-Semitic things. Likewise, he tricks the audience into laughing along with some of the sickest jokes in the history of moviefilms. I like! ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... NOT! :D

lumi 11-05-2006 03:08 PM

I'm another person who saw Borat. It was pretty good, not at all boring. The
Spoiler:
naked wrestling part
had me laughing so hard that my shoulders hurt. After that the movie was below average on the jokes.

3.5 / 5

LeisureSuitedLooney 11-05-2006 04:22 PM

Saw Saw 3...boy, say THAT 10 times fast. It was sick, twisted, gory, loud, nasty, and stomach-churning.

Loved every minute of it!!! :D

Seriously, though, I really liked how they incorporated the first two into the plot, and I liked the cliffhanger at the end a LOT!

Spiwak 11-05-2006 04:45 PM

Library had The Apartment today. Woo hoo. Now I just gotta find time to see it...

The Impostor 11-05-2006 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkgothic (Post 361798)
...comedies have to be extra good for me to like them...

That reminds me: when do you want me to send those Comedy Inc. tapes?

Mordalles 11-05-2006 06:34 PM

Napoleon Dynamite. Hilarious and brilliant. a year ago i wouldn't have enjoyed it as much as now, since there so many things in that movie that i saw people online do. :D the make up girlfriend, the disillusions about their own art (writing/other skills). the countless people i've seen who claim they are professional in a certain field (to win instant respect/admiration), yet when you look at their work you can't but doubt if they are telling you the truth. so many things . . . it goes on and on.

The Impostor 11-05-2006 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mordalles (Post 362132)
Napoleon Dynamite. Hilarious and brilliant

Agreed. I especially loved Blood And Chocolate.

kuze 11-11-2006 12:46 PM

Finished Hustle, Dead Like Me and Life on Mars. Loved them all, especially the second season of Dead Like Me - why, oh why did they have to cancel the show?
Started watching 4400, The *British* Office and Early Edition. Didn't like them. 4400 was too boring and straightforward, Office, ... well, I didn't like the humour. I haven't given up on Early Edition, but I guess I won't be watching season two - the show is nothing special.

Now I'm running dry on TV shows - recommendations are very welcome!

Huz 11-11-2006 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Some dude from Mel's review
"We are concerned, however, that one serious pitfall is that the audience may not always be sophisticated enough to get the joke, and that some may even find it reinforcing their bigotry."

British TV has a certain tradition of mocking prejudice through comedy, and yes, some people are too stupid to realise that. The man who played Alf Garnett, the bigoted racist from Till Death Us Do Part (you were supposed to laugh at the character, not agree with him), apparently used to take great pleasure in deflating those who enthusiastically agreed with his 'views'.

Sacha Baron Cohen's previous creation (Ali G) was a little bit more subtle in its satire, to the extent that most people seemed to think he was aping the stereotype rather than mocking it. He himself appeared unamused when he went to collect a television award to the backing of rap music - "It's just a character..."

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuze (Post 363973)
Finished Hustle, Dead Like Me and Life on Mars. Loved them all, especially the second season of Dead Like Me - why, oh why did they have to cancel the show?
Started watching 4400, The *British* Office and Early Edition. Didn't like them.

Didn't like The Office? Sort yourself out.

What did you think of Life On Mars?

LeisureSuitedLooney 11-11-2006 04:44 PM

Saw Borat today...pretty damned funny, but the person I was with hated it. My favorite part was the fancy dinner/etiquette lesson, LOL. That and the Ice Cream truck/bear scenes. The looks on those kids faces... :D

kuze 11-12-2006 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huz (Post 363981)
What did you think of Life On Mars?

Basically, it is a cop show, but with a new twist and from a new prospective. The "trauma" aspect is just a justification for the setting, in my opinion. After all, the series is about a 21st century cop trying to survive in 1970. The dark, 'aged' look certainly adds to the rather surreal atmosphere. Too bad there are only six episodes.

Huz 11-12-2006 09:52 AM

Well, they were filming some more in Manchester a couple of months ago, and I suspect they'll be part of the winter schedule. Not sure if they're continuing beyond that - they certainly don't want to run it into the ground.

I think describing it as "basically, a cop show" is a little unfair. It exudes so much more wit and social commentary than that. One of my favourite British programmes for years!

Terabin 11-12-2006 10:45 AM

Just saw Jean Vigo's L'Atalante. Lovely little film. It's funny how this film gets off as being one of the greatest films of all time, seeing as how it's definitely not aiming for any such accolade. Jules is an incredible character. What a dynamic physical presence he is in this movie. The jar of hands in the closet, his weird smirks, his sexuality worn on his sleeve, his accordion, and his superstitions. He makes the movie for me.

Once A Villain 11-12-2006 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terabin (Post 364245)
Just saw Jean Vigo's L'Atalante. Lovely little film. It's funny how this film gets off as being one of the greatest films of all time, seeing as how it's definitely not aiming for any such accolade. Jules is an incredible character. What a dynamic physical presence he is in this movie. The jar of hands in the closet, his weird smirks, his sexuality worn on his sleeve, his accordion, and his superstitions. He makes the movie for me.

Ah yes, great film.

lumi 11-14-2006 08:44 PM

I rewatched Monty Python and the Holy Grail, since it's been awhile since I last saw it. It's still one of the better comedy movies I've seen.

vivasawadee 11-15-2006 12:06 AM

Flyboys.

Awesome dogfight scenes and mmm James Franco is so pretty. :P

Giligan 11-15-2006 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivasawadee (Post 364910)
Flyboys.

Awesome dogfight scenes and mmm James Franco is so pretty. :P

Crap, I meant to go see that, but I never got around to it and now it's too late. Seeing it on my tv just isn't going to be the same as seeing it on the big screen....

Once A Villain 11-15-2006 06:15 PM

In the last two weeks I've seen:

BORAT - Funny little movie. Not brilliant, not the funniest movie ever made, but enjoyable and amusing.

THE PRESTIGE - Not as good as Nolan's other films (Memento, Batman Begins, etc.), but still a pretty good way to spend two hours. My biggest gripe would be...

Spoiler:
I didn't like how it turned out to have REAL magic in it. I mean, they passed it off as some kind of scientific thing, but it was rather silly.

FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS - Underrated. Some of the battle sequences surpassed Saving Private Ryan, and I loved the overall theme of the film. It wasn't really about war. It was about how we exploit the idea of a "hero" and what a hero really is.

STRANGER THAN FICTION - I enjoyed this one. Saw it with my mother, of all people. Heh. Will Farrell wasn't going for the crazy comedy here like he normally does. He was more subtle, and I really liked him in this. The premise is both ridiculous and fascinating. And there are some moments that are truly touching, at least I thought so.

BABEL - VERY underrated, but I'm somewhat biased. I love movies about a bunch of different characters that somehow have a connection to one another. Movies like Nashville, Short Cuts, Magnolia, etc. I really enjoyed this.