Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Do you drink bottled water? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/7053-do-you-drink-bottled-water.html)

Terabin 02-24-2005 01:24 PM

Do you drink bottled water?

I'm not a huge fan of this bottled water, and am kind of suspicious that these bottled water companies just fill their bottles up from the faucet anyway.

What do you guys think?

There are obviously areas in the world where there isn't clean water coming from a faucet, but here in good ole Minnesota of 10,000 lakes, the water is pure indeed.

Damn, I should've done a preferential poll instead. That was a dumb move!

Jazhara7 02-24-2005 01:35 PM

Yes, but we fill the bottles (really strong 2 liter bottles. They used to contain "Almdudler", which is a herbal lemonade. And it is bottled by the CocaCola Company [though I doubt it is produced by them], and the bottles are at least as strong as the large Coca Cola bottles) ourselves from the faucet.

Although my father actually brought some small bottles of "Vittel" water. Nothing beats Vittel and Evian water. I believe them, that they fill it from a real natural (but of course, they drilled a well) spring - the EU is quite strict on that. You can't write "Spring water" on it if it isn't real spring water.

Evian saved my life when I was in Shanghai - Shanghai is HOT. And even though the local brands of bottled water were cheaper, I preferred Evian (which was more expensive, because it has to be imported. But we found a quite cheap 2 liter bottle of Evian. Well, quite a lot of things in China are cheaper than they are here). That is because the local bottled waters ALL tasted swampy.

- :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Huz 02-24-2005 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terabin
I'm not a huge fan of this bottled water, and am kind of suspicious that these bottled water companies just fill their bottles up from the faucet anyway.

Yes, indeed! :shifty:

Apparently a lot of bottled water is nothing more than mains tap water, although it is first 'treated', which presumably means that the chemicals added (for instance fluoride, as added to UK tap water to strengthen teeth?) are removed again.

It's all pretty irrelevant for me - I don't drink water by itself. It has to have something added to it (preferably tea!) for me to touch it!

tabacco 02-24-2005 01:52 PM

I carry a nalgene bottle that I usually fill from either a Brita pitcher at home or the filtered water tap we have at work.

Intrepid Homoludens 02-24-2005 01:55 PM

I only drink bottled water on the go and on trips. At home our drinking water is from a highly filtered tap. When I lived alone I had a Brita pitcher, and that was great. If I happen to be abroad (which I haven't been in almost 4 years) I will only take Evian or Vittel, as their high quality and purity are always reliable. But here in the States most any brand bottled water will do. We have excellent filtering systems here. But in a less developed country like the Philippines or South America, absolutely only Evian or Vittel, no local brands, unh uh!!!

lumi 02-24-2005 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I only drink bottled water on the go and on trips.

Same with me.

Bottled water can taste better than the faucet variety, particularly if the pipes are in bad shape.

SoccerDude28 02-24-2005 02:04 PM

I only drink bottled water. My favorite is aquafina, but crystal geyser is also great.

DemonFox 02-24-2005 02:09 PM

Oh come on! A topic about water? :eek: The end of the world must be near...
Well I don't like water. Just gimme a bottle of Coke and I'm happy.

Erkki 02-24-2005 02:18 PM

I mostly drink tap water at home. It's good enough. Bottled water, sometimes. And at work we have those big water canisters or what-do-you-call-them. A company delivers them, I believe it's spring water.

At our summer house, we get the water manually from a well and that's the best.

Maquisard 02-24-2005 02:33 PM

Bottled water's practically ALL I've been drinking lately. No sodas (except an occasional Pepsi diet, to break the monotony), no nuthin. Supposedly, it's healthy that way. :P

Intrepid Homoludens 02-24-2005 03:04 PM

Yeah, I should cut down on the sugary fizzy shit myself. Okay from now on, it's nothing but pure water and fruit juices! :D

Wormsie 02-24-2005 03:15 PM

Botteled water, JEEZE! :rolleyes:

Elton28 02-24-2005 04:16 PM

"Other"

As I dont like water to drink unless its got something else in it. Only time I will drink it is when I am cycling and I have my "Camelback" piping water into my gob - if I dont drink on the bike, then I will seize up; just like any serious cyclist.

The other time I will only drink it is on hoilday. Usually Greece,as its not recommended to drink the tap water there.

Oh and theres water with ale in it, of course:D:D:D

AF:D

Legolas813 02-24-2005 05:47 PM

I usually only drink Aquafina water. I buy 16.9 ounce bottles in the 12-pack cases.

lumi 02-24-2005 06:08 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I should cut down on the sugary fizzy shit myself. Okay from now on, it's nothing but pure water and fruit juices! :D

Fruit juices usually have lots of sugar.

Intrepid Homoludens 02-24-2005 06:26 PM

;) Not the fresh squeezed ones I do, hon.

Intrepid Homoludens 02-24-2005 06:56 PM

The Ithorians would laugh their asses off if they found out what we earthlings have done to our natural resources. That is, if they even have asses to laugh off.

Zygomaticus 02-25-2005 12:38 AM

Where I am, I can actually tell the difference between bottled water (namely Dasani) and tap, water-fountain water. But, personally, I don't think one tastes better than the other, and thus have no objection to drinking either. :P

jjacob 02-25-2005 01:03 AM

Quote:

The Ithorians would laugh their asses off if they found out what we earthlings have done to our natural resources. That is, if they even have asses to laugh off.

No way! They'd import dinosaur t-rex whales from naboo to recycle our CO2 into oxygen, water and puppies! :)

The water here in Amsterdam is better than bottled water, according to studies, so why bother with that :P

Marek 02-25-2005 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazhara7
the EU is quite strict on that. You can't write "Spring water" on it if it isn't real spring water.

Wouldn't count on it. "Sourcy" for example, which is sold in Holland, is just tap water with added bubbles.

jjacob is right about the tap water in and around Amsterdam. I've never tasted anything better anywhere. The water here is filtered naturally through the sand in the dunes, or something. It's delicious.