Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Map(s) of Victorian London (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/30155-map-s-victorian-london.html)

tsa 12-01-2011 06:31 AM

Map(s) of Victorian London

I have a question for you Britons out there. As you may know I am interested in Victorian England, and because London was the place where many things happened I would like to get an idea of what the city was like back then. For that a map would come in handy. It so happens that I have a UD$ 50,- voucher for Amazon.com. So I typed in: map london 1800s and was a bit overwhelmed by the amount of maps I can choose from. These are all maps from parts of London. Which one(s) should I buy? Or can you recommend a good book with maps in it? Problem is: I don't know much about contemporary London either so I don't know where to begin. Please help me! ;)

Edit: of course another thing is: London more or less exploded during the Victorian era so I probably need more than one map of the same area.

Jatsie 12-01-2011 10:13 AM

I looked at the link you put in, and I'm not sure of how much interest those maps would be to you. Here's a Wikipedia explanation of what the Ordinance Survey is. They have a fair amount of detail on things such as roads and the height of hills, and so are useful for people travelling or doing Geography lessons, but I don't know if they'd convey the sort of historic information you're after.

tsa 12-06-2011 02:39 AM

Sorry that I react so late but that is exactly what I'm looking for. What the streets looked like you can find in other resources. Maps are not good for that. But is there no map of the whole of London in 1850 or so?

Lee in Limbo 12-07-2011 08:26 PM

I had a whole series of sections of a major survey map done of London in the Victorian era. Lemme see if I can dig up the name. I'll get back to you shortly.

Lee in Limbo 12-07-2011 08:44 PM

Okay, I know you're thinking about Amazon, and I'd go look stuff up for you, but I'm a little pressed for time, so here is a link to the site I obtained a detailed survey map from back when i was researching The Dark Guild story for the Link West RPG:
CHARLES BOOTH LONDON 1889
I also know you're thinking mid 1800s, so I can tell you that THIS SITE was invaluable in my research.

tsa 12-07-2011 11:38 PM

Woot! Thanks Lee, that's great!

Lee in Limbo 12-08-2011 12:10 PM

I would send you a proper composite of the sections, but apparently, back when I was doing that book, my computer was so slow, I couldn't finish putting it together in Photoshop. My big version is only 3/4ths done. I really should finish putting it together some day, just for the hell of it.

tsa 12-08-2011 12:23 PM

I'm already very happy with the sites you mentioned Lee.