Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   So I saw the new Indiana Jones movie...(Here be possible spoilers. Beware.) (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/22572-so-i-saw-new-indiana-jones-movie-here-possible-spoilers-beware.html)

Jazhara7 05-22-2008 10:12 AM

So I saw the new Indiana Jones movie...(Here be possible spoilers. Beware.)

...and let me tell you, it was glorious. ^_^

At the beginning, I had a few doubts. I was afraid they might go on referring to the fact they are older now through the entire movie. But they didn't, and it was great.

I can't go into details now, because it's my mother's birthday and now we're going out to eat, but you can discuss here.

Oh, and please tell me if I am the only one who couldn't shake the feeling that they were using some elements from "Fate of Atlantis" in this? It's not an exact match, but some things are too similar, both story wise and also details, like twisted skulls and skeletons in the background, as well as that one scene right at the end (you'll know what I mean when you see it).

(Woo! I'm the first to post about it here! I am, right?)

- :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

RLacey 05-22-2008 10:31 AM

I'm intentionally not going to this film yet in order to reward myself after exams.

But since I'm taking this evening off, it hurts...

Merricat 05-22-2008 10:34 AM

Oh, buck up, Mr. Lacey. I won't see it for probably two weeks, but I expect it will be just as good then as now.

Giligan 05-22-2008 11:52 AM

Man. I can't wait! :D

An Indiana Jones movie in my lifetime. Wow.

Jazhara7 05-22-2008 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giligan (Post 469557)
Man. I can't wait! :D

An Indiana Jones movie in my lifetime. Wow.

Exactly! My uncle said that "In four months, you would have been able to see it on Premiere" (a pay channel here in Germany that always gets to show new movies on TV first after they have been in the cinemas. I think they're in the US too, actually, though I'm not sure about it.). And I told him "That's true, but this is the one chance I have to see an Indiana Jones movie when it's in the cinema, and I'm not going to pass that chance up."

Seriously, my sister always says about movies "Oh, it will be out on DVD while it's in the cinemas anyway. We'll rent it then and see it at home.". But I *like* going to the cinema. It just has a certain appeal for me. Even home cinemas are not the same, most of the time. And since one of the two cinemas in my town is around the corner from my home (literally. I go around the corner, and there is the cinema.), it's very comfortable. And even if it wasn't, I still enjoy it tremendously.

Anyway, I'm sure you're going to love the movie. Tell me what you think once you've seen it.

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Giligan 05-22-2008 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazhara7 (Post 469564)
Anyway, I'm sure you're going to love the movie. Tell me what you think once you've seen it.

Rrrgh. When I see it, this Sunday at the earliest. :(

Jazhara7 05-22-2008 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giligan (Post 469566)
Rrrgh. When I see it, this Sunday at the earliest. :(

Oh dear...I'm sorry. I take it Corpus Christi's not a holiday in the US? I'm sorry. Here it is, so it was very lucky, because it's also my mother's Birthday today, and I invited her and the rest of the family to the cinema as a present.

I hope you get to see it soon. But trust me, it's worth the wait. *hugs*

- :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

Giligan 05-22-2008 12:55 PM

Thanks! :)

Though I must say, even if non-Indy fans said it was the worst movie ever, it would still be worth the wait.

RLacey 05-22-2008 01:00 PM

Indeed.

Lady Kestrel 05-22-2008 04:36 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing this one very soon, too. It's the fourth Indy movie I've seen when it first came out, and you're right, Jaz, it's more fun to watch movies like this in the theater, at least the first time.

Not A Speck Of Cereal 05-22-2008 08:01 PM

I saw the first Indy on the big screen, opening day. I've been a TOTAL fan since. But I'm waiting for a quiet Tuesday to see this installment.

I just hope they do the fifth, but it doesn't look likely.

Squinky 05-22-2008 11:06 PM

I saw it tonight, and with Ron Gilbert, to boot! [/bragging rights]

Jazhara7 05-22-2008 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squinky (Post 469618)
I saw it tonight, and with Ron Gilbert, to boot! [/bragging rights]

/envy...

But conga rats to you!

- :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

SSH 05-23-2008 03:02 AM

Despite the many problems I did like it
Spoiler:

Lots of unnecessary stuff:

The whole psychic business about the skull: what did that add?

Mac: didn't add anything to the story, much as I like Ray Winstone.

The FBI interview and Indy's sacking from the college: seemed jarring, inconsistent (did anyone else notice that he knew Cate Blanchett's charatcer name while in the warehouse but promptly forgot it all later?) and superfluous

I think a lot of people dislike the aliens

Jazhara7 05-23-2008 05:13 AM

Also, what was the point with Mutt and the monkeys? Sure, it was kind of cute...but WTF?! :crazy:

- :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

DustyShinigami 05-23-2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazhara7 (Post 469649)
Also, what was the point with Mutt and the monkeys? Sure, it was kind of cute...but WTF?! :crazy:

That part was just ridiculous. That might've worked out in a Monkey Island game but not in Indiana Jones. :P I wasn't impressed with the alien either and the spaceship. I felt like i was watching Taken. :crazy: I know Spielberg loves to use aliens in his movies but he should've fought the urge. He never used them in the previous movies so why this one?

Squinky 05-23-2008 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alucard (Post 469689)
That might've worked out in a Monkey Island game but not in Indiana Jones. :P

Well, considering that Ron claims the movie was made just for him, it makes sense. :)

Catbert 05-23-2008 07:57 PM

Here's what I drunkily posted on warbucket half an hour ago. It's valid here as well and it has some swearing in it so it's cool:

No, it just wasn't like the others where it was like a 30 second scene of HOLY SHIT THE NAZIS ARE LOOKING FOR THE ARK GO GET THEM and the plot was done and then the action could flow. No, it had to had a shitton of horrible CGI that Lucas just had to cram in there and it had to had a shitty screenplay. How you manage to fuck up an Indiana Jones screenplay is beyond me. Really. This is the artifact we need/want, fight the bad guys, awesome action scenes, getting the girl. That was tough.

No, they went through an excruciating time (what I felt like was 75% of the movie) showing how awesome the aliens were and how they had this giant city of gold. They could have had a giant tick farm for all I care, just put in some decent action scenes and don't fuck up the few ones you do with shit like Tarzan Labeouf.

Kolzig 05-24-2008 02:34 AM

I saw the premiere yesterday with two friends and to my surprise I didn't like the movie at all.

I don't know, the whole waiting for the movie was great since they announced that they are finally making the fourth Indy, the trailers were great and I was really expecting that the man with the hat is back.

I think I had waited for the return of Indy ever since I was a small child when I saw the trilogy for the first time.

We even pre-bought our tickets for this movie and I've never done that before with any other movie

Then when I saw what Lucas and Spielberg had done, it felt like flushing a classic franchise down the toilet.

What happened to old school Indy?

Spoiler:
Don't even get me started on Indy's son and the frigging aliens, or the utterly stupid and pointless Tarzan scene that has no place in a movie like this or the unbelievable amount of plastic looking computer effects that they used. Why did they use marmots and monkeys so much anyway?

The whole jungle scene with the sword fighting and driving stuff could've been done better, now they just went to a studio filmed everything in front of a green screen and let the computer people do the rest...

A true George Lucas moment was the wedding in the end...

The movie had many good scenes like the scene when Ford and Broadbent were at Indy's home, that was excellent.

Also John Hurt and Harrison Ford were absolutely great in their roles.
Harrison sure showed that age doesn't matter, he was as great as Indy as always before

Please mr. Spielberg and Lucas, don't do a fifth movie. I really wouldn't want to see anymore movies like this one.

I was surprised to see that IL&M effects ruined this movie for me, because a week ago IL&M effects in Iron Man were quite good indeed.

I seem to remember that Spielberg talked in interviews before they started filming that they would not use special effects so much, that they would make an old school Indy, like the first three were. I guess they just wanted to make a generic modern action movie with plastic effects after all...

I sure as hell won't be buying this on dvd.

Lucien21 05-24-2008 10:17 AM

The only bit I thought was out of place was the bloody alien nonsense at the end. It wasn't really Indy material, the other 3 movies were about religious artifacts and supernatural effects, to suddenly shift it to a sci-fi interdimensional aliens was a step in the wrong direction.

I thought they did a reasonable job of making fun of the Alien rumour and hoped they would explain it in another way without the giant spaceship ending.

Other than that I really enjoyed it it was old school adventure flick.

It certainly was no Phantom Menace, the CGI was ropey at times sure but it was good fun all the same.