You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat So I saw the new Indiana Jones movie...(Here be possible spoilers. Beware.)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2008, 10:12 AM   #1
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Default So I saw the new Indiana Jones movie...(Here be possible spoilers. Beware.)

...and let me tell you, it was glorious. ^_^

At the beginning, I had a few doubts. I was afraid they might go on referring to the fact they are older now through the entire movie. But they didn't, and it was great.

I can't go into details now, because it's my mother's birthday and now we're going out to eat, but you can discuss here.

Oh, and please tell me if I am the only one who couldn't shake the feeling that they were using some elements from "Fate of Atlantis" in this? It's not an exact match, but some things are too similar, both story wise and also details, like twisted skulls and skeletons in the background, as well as that one scene right at the end (you'll know what I mean when you see it).

(Woo! I'm the first to post about it here! I am, right?)

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 05-22-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I'm intentionally not going to this film yet in order to reward myself after exams.

But since I'm taking this evening off, it hurts...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:34 AM   #3
Backsliding Pagan

Oh, buck up, Mr. Lacey. I won't see it for probably two weeks, but I expect it will be just as good then as now.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Man. I can't wait!

An Indiana Jones movie in my lifetime. Wow.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
Man. I can't wait!

An Indiana Jones movie in my lifetime. Wow.

Exactly! My uncle said that "In four months, you would have been able to see it on Premiere" (a pay channel here in Germany that always gets to show new movies on TV first after they have been in the cinemas. I think they're in the US too, actually, though I'm not sure about it.). And I told him "That's true, but this is the one chance I have to see an Indiana Jones movie when it's in the cinema, and I'm not going to pass that chance up."

Seriously, my sister always says about movies "Oh, it will be out on DVD while it's in the cinemas anyway. We'll rent it then and see it at home.". But I *like* going to the cinema. It just has a certain appeal for me. Even home cinemas are not the same, most of the time. And since one of the two cinemas in my town is around the corner from my home (literally. I go around the corner, and there is the cinema.), it's very comfortable. And even if it wasn't, I still enjoy it tremendously.

Anyway, I'm sure you're going to love the movie. Tell me what you think once you've seen it.

-

Old 05-22-2008, 12:11 PM   #6
The Greater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
Anyway, I'm sure you're going to love the movie. Tell me what you think once you've seen it.
Rrrgh. When I see it, this Sunday at the earliest.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
Rrrgh. When I see it, this Sunday at the earliest.
Oh dear...I'm sorry. I take it Corpus Christi's not a holiday in the US? I'm sorry. Here it is, so it was very lucky, because it's also my mother's Birthday today, and I invited her and the rest of the family to the cinema as a present.

I hope you get to see it soon. But trust me, it's worth the wait. *hugs*

-

Old 05-22-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
The Greater

Thanks!

Though I must say, even if non-Indy fans said it was the worst movie ever, it would still be worth the wait.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:00 PM   #9
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Indeed.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:36 PM   #10
Flower bower bird

I'm looking forward to seeing this one very soon, too. It's the fourth Indy movie I've seen when it first came out, and you're right, Jaz, it's more fun to watch movies like this in the theater, at least the first time.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:01 PM   #11
The Major Grubert.

I saw the first Indy on the big screen, opening day. I've been a TOTAL fan since. But I'm waiting for a quiet Tuesday to see this installment.

I just hope they do the fifth, but it doesn't look likely.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:06 PM   #12
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

I saw it tonight, and with Ron Gilbert, to boot! [/bragging rights]
Old 05-22-2008, 11:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
I saw it tonight, and with Ron Gilbert, to boot! [/bragging rights]

/envy...

But conga rats to you!

-

Old 05-23-2008, 03:02 AM   #14
SSH
Super Scottish Hero

Despite the many problems I did like it
Spoiler:

Lots of unnecessary stuff:

The whole psychic business about the skull: what did that add?

Mac: didn't add anything to the story, much as I like Ray Winstone.

The FBI interview and Indy's sacking from the college: seemed jarring, inconsistent (did anyone else notice that he knew Cate Blanchett's charatcer name while in the warehouse but promptly forgot it all later?) and superfluous

I think a lot of people dislike the aliens
Old 05-23-2008, 05:13 AM   #15

Also, what was the point with Mutt and the monkeys? Sure, it was kind of cute...but WTF?!

-

Old 05-23-2008, 04:20 PM   #16
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
Also, what was the point with Mutt and the monkeys? Sure, it was kind of cute...but WTF?!
That part was just ridiculous. That might've worked out in a Monkey Island game but not in Indiana Jones. I wasn't impressed with the alien either and the spaceship. I felt like i was watching Taken. I know Spielberg loves to use aliens in his movies but he should've fought the urge. He never used them in the previous movies so why this one?
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 05-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #17
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
That might've worked out in a Monkey Island game but not in Indiana Jones.
Well, considering that Ron claims the movie was made just for him, it makes sense.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:57 PM   #18
DAVE

Here's what I drunkily posted on warbucket half an hour ago. It's valid here as well and it has some swearing in it so it's cool:

No, it just wasn't like the others where it was like a 30 second scene of HOLY SHIT THE NAZIS ARE LOOKING FOR THE ARK GO GET THEM and the plot was done and then the action could flow. No, it had to had a shitton of horrible CGI that Lucas just had to cram in there and it had to had a shitty screenplay. How you manage to fuck up an Indiana Jones screenplay is beyond me. Really. This is the artifact we need/want, fight the bad guys, awesome action scenes, getting the girl. That was tough.

No, they went through an excruciating time (what I felt like was 75% of the movie) showing how awesome the aliens were and how they had this giant city of gold. They could have had a giant tick farm for all I care, just put in some decent action scenes and don't fuck up the few ones you do with shit like Tarzan Labeouf.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:34 AM   #19
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I saw the premiere yesterday with two friends and to my surprise I didn't like the movie at all.

I don't know, the whole waiting for the movie was great since they announced that they are finally making the fourth Indy, the trailers were great and I was really expecting that the man with the hat is back.

I think I had waited for the return of Indy ever since I was a small child when I saw the trilogy for the first time.

We even pre-bought our tickets for this movie and I've never done that before with any other movie

Then when I saw what Lucas and Spielberg had done, it felt like flushing a classic franchise down the toilet.

What happened to old school Indy?

Spoiler:
Don't even get me started on Indy's son and the frigging aliens, or the utterly stupid and pointless Tarzan scene that has no place in a movie like this or the unbelievable amount of plastic looking computer effects that they used. Why did they use marmots and monkeys so much anyway?

The whole jungle scene with the sword fighting and driving stuff could've been done better, now they just went to a studio filmed everything in front of a green screen and let the computer people do the rest...

A true George Lucas moment was the wedding in the end...

The movie had many good scenes like the scene when Ford and Broadbent were at Indy's home, that was excellent.

Also John Hurt and Harrison Ford were absolutely great in their roles.
Harrison sure showed that age doesn't matter, he was as great as Indy as always before

Please mr. Spielberg and Lucas, don't do a fifth movie. I really wouldn't want to see anymore movies like this one.

I was surprised to see that IL&M effects ruined this movie for me, because a week ago IL&M effects in Iron Man were quite good indeed.

I seem to remember that Spielberg talked in interviews before they started filming that they would not use special effects so much, that they would make an old school Indy, like the first three were. I guess they just wanted to make a generic modern action movie with plastic effects after all...

I sure as hell won't be buying this on dvd.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:17 AM   #20
Psychonaut

The only bit I thought was out of place was the bloody alien nonsense at the end. It wasn't really Indy material, the other 3 movies were about religious artifacts and supernatural effects, to suddenly shift it to a sci-fi interdimensional aliens was a step in the wrong direction.

I thought they did a reasonable job of making fun of the Alien rumour and hoped they would explain it in another way without the giant spaceship ending.

Other than that I really enjoyed it it was old school adventure flick.

It certainly was no Phantom Menace, the CGI was ropey at times sure but it was good fun all the same.