Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Procrastination (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/2154-procrastination.html)

Zygomaticus 02-22-2004 03:45 PM

Procrastination

Discuss.

Zygomaticus 02-22-2004 03:46 PM

I'm working on an essay for school right now (since 10 this morning, and it's now 4 in the afternoon (hour break in between)) and I've written three and a half pages worth of essay so far.

Of course, I'm pretty sure I'll finish it before the end of the day, but I could've done so much more today...

Sometimes I dislike myself. :sad:

Pappapisshu 02-22-2004 03:52 PM

I'm procrastinating all the time and it's a real hassle. I have no idea what to do about it either, it's seems impossible for me to start working on stuff if it's not the last minute before it's supposed to be handed in.

For example, we had 10 days to write a paper and it was supposed to be handed in first thing last friday. I mailed them my work thursday night (well, friday morning, actually) about 6 a.m, a couple of hours ahead of deadline, after I've been working on it for the entire day. This kind of thing happens all the time.

I need help.

Zygomaticus 02-22-2004 04:01 PM

Nothing makes a man more productive than the last minute.

Take heart, my friend.

I think we are only utilizing our full potential by doing this. Would I rather spend 10 hours 5 days before the deadline or 5 hours 1 day before the deadline using super productivity mode? Clearly the latter :P

remixor 02-22-2004 04:10 PM

Procrastination is my bane.

Last semester, I wrote one of my 12-page term papers in the last 4 hours possible. It was due at 5pm on a Friday, and I began at 1pm. I kid you not. Those four hours were among the most frantic of my life. It was absurd.

Pappapisshu 02-22-2004 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kode
Would I rather spend 10 hours 5 days before the deadline or 5 hours 1 day before the deadline using super productivity mode? Clearly the latter :P

Yeah, I think you're on to something there. ;)

remix: Haha. It's strangely comforting to know that at least someone's worse than me. :D

edit: t.

DustCropper 02-22-2004 04:16 PM

I work best when under pressure so I always put things off to the last minute. And it seems to work because my grades are pretty good.

But a 12 page paper 4 hours before the dealine... I'm not THAT crazy! ;)

Huz 02-22-2004 05:23 PM

I am the master. It's something in my life I can honestly say I'm good at. I wrote a certain document a few days ago and Word tells me I spent around 500 minutes on it. It was 405 words long. I win!

My best essay-writing, Remixor-style, came when I had to write an essay of 2000 words or so for the next morning. Me being me, I decided to sod that and went off to the pub. When I woke up the next morning, I realised what I'd done and immediately leapt on the computer to get typing - only to find a finished essay waiting for me. It needed a bit (well, a lot) of editing, but there it was - when I came to think of it, I vaguely remembered sitting up half the night bashing it out, but I was surprised that the end result was so comprehensible. :P

Intrepid Homoludens 02-22-2004 05:38 PM

Quote:

Discuss.

Um, can I talk about it tomorrow? http://mysmilies.ipbfree.com/s/contr...e/Sad_anim.gif

Zygomaticus 02-22-2004 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens

Sure. But the deadline to tell us your thoughts is February 25th, 6AM Japanese time. Don't procrastinate :P

Skinkie 02-22-2004 07:57 PM

Ahem...

Bigger
Better
Longer

I can't work without the pressure, I get distracted by every little thing, but I have been known to write 6 page papers in an hour and a half the day before they're due, and still get an A.

Erkki 02-23-2004 01:57 AM

Once I did a whole semesters project in the last 5 hours and got an A. And when the professor told me it's not far from a Master's degree thesis, I just stared at him with my sleepy eyes and my mouth open for a few seconds.

Kingzjester 02-23-2004 07:46 AM

There is an essay due last Friday on a book I have hardly begun... When this sort of thing happens, I skim through the last few pages of the book and then spend four typed pages discussing some semantic inconsistency in the professor's question that the paper should purpose to answer, merely hinting at the end of the book so as if it would seam I have read the damn thing. If you adopt a very aggressive and eloquent stance to boot, the paper cannot fail. Mention Faust or Prometheus and you are home free.

Intrepid Homoludens 02-23-2004 11:16 AM

Hardly qualifies for procrastination (though I did finish it the night before due), but, for the final paper for a short fiction class I had taken while independent studying in England years ago, I chose to do a Freudian analysis of Melville's 'Bartleby, Scrivener'. That was weird and yet.......I preferred not to.

Intrepid Homoludens 02-23-2004 12:39 PM

BTW, I'm off work today and am supposed to be cleaning and packing stuff in my room for the big move this Sunday. Instead I'm hanging here in the forums and plan on playing more Splinter Cell for an hour. Um, I promise I'll get all the packing done today. Seriously.

Zygomaticus 02-23-2004 02:31 PM

Well, I didn't tell you guys this, but this paper was not due Monday but actually Tuesday! I didn't want to work on it during the weekdays so I forced myself to believe it was due Monday and that I had to finish it Sunday.

Now I relax, while my procrastinating bretheren toil.

MUWHAHAHAHAHAAH! :devil:

scabb 02-23-2004 02:52 PM

I had coursework to hand in today, so last night I disconnected the internet, loaded my word document, armed myself with a caffeinated beverage and bashed out a few sentences. Then I started to get some sort of intangible irritation, so I got up and paced about the landing for a few minutes. Then I wandered into my sleeping brothers bedroom and began stacking books on his person, a game which I cleverly branded "Bookaroo" (He didn't "Buck", though). I spent an overly large amount of time playing with a dressing gown belt after that.

When I did eventually get going, I churned out a hell of a lot more than I should have, and I did manage to obtain "that" feeling (something like a combination of coffee churning about in your insides and satisfaction). Essay-wise, generally I just repeat points I've already made, frequently use elaborate words and annoying phrases such as "ascertain as to whether", and attempt to sound smart - ambiguous & pretentious wins the race!

I think I have work due in tomorrow morning, but the skin around my thumbnails looks delicious. :)

remixor 02-23-2004 08:11 PM

Quote:

Well, I didn't tell you guys this, but this paper was not due Monday but actually Tuesday! I didn't want to work on it during the weekdays so I forced myself to believe it was due Monday and that I had to finish it Sunday.

Now I relax, while my procrastinating bretheren toil.

MUWHAHAHAHAHAAH! :devil:

You fraud!

Intrepid Homoludens 02-23-2004 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scabb
...the skin around my thumbnails looks delicious. :)

..eiw.

remixor 02-23-2004 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
..eiw.

Yeah, no kidding. scabb: :crazy: