You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2004, 03:45 PM   #1
Liver of Life

Default Procrastination

Discuss.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:46 PM   #2
Liver of Life

I'm working on an essay for school right now (since 10 this morning, and it's now 4 in the afternoon (hour break in between)) and I've written three and a half pages worth of essay so far.

Of course, I'm pretty sure I'll finish it before the end of the day, but I could've done so much more today...

Sometimes I dislike myself.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:52 PM   #3
rare groove

Send a message via ICQ to Pappapisshu

I'm procrastinating all the time and it's a real hassle. I have no idea what to do about it either, it's seems impossible for me to start working on stuff if it's not the last minute before it's supposed to be handed in.

For example, we had 10 days to write a paper and it was supposed to be handed in first thing last friday. I mailed them my work thursday night (well, friday morning, actually) about 6 a.m, a couple of hours ahead of deadline, after I've been working on it for the entire day. This kind of thing happens all the time.

I need help.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:01 PM   #4
Liver of Life

Nothing makes a man more productive than the last minute.

Take heart, my friend.

I think we are only utilizing our full potential by doing this. Would I rather spend 10 hours 5 days before the deadline or 5 hours 1 day before the deadline using super productivity mode? Clearly the latter
Old 02-22-2004, 04:10 PM   #5
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Procrastination is my bane.

Last semester, I wrote one of my 12-page term papers in the last 4 hours possible. It was due at 5pm on a Friday, and I began at 1pm. I kid you not. Those four hours were among the most frantic of my life. It was absurd.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 02-22-2004, 04:15 PM   #6
rare groove

Send a message via ICQ to Pappapisshu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode
Would I rather spend 10 hours 5 days before the deadline or 5 hours 1 day before the deadline using super productivity mode? Clearly the latter
Yeah, I think you're on to something there.

remix: Haha. It's strangely comforting to know that at least someone's worse than me.

edit: t.

Last edited by Pappapisshu; 02-22-2004 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:16 PM   #7

I work best when under pressure so I always put things off to the last minute. And it seems to work because my grades are pretty good.

But a 12 page paper 4 hours before the dealine... I'm not THAT crazy!
Old 02-22-2004, 05:23 PM   #8
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

I am the master. It's something in my life I can honestly say I'm good at. I wrote a certain document a few days ago and Word tells me I spent around 500 minutes on it. It was 405 words long. I win!

My best essay-writing, Remixor-style, came when I had to write an essay of 2000 words or so for the next morning. Me being me, I decided to sod that and went off to the pub. When I woke up the next morning, I realised what I'd done and immediately leapt on the computer to get typing - only to find a finished essay waiting for me. It needed a bit (well, a lot) of editing, but there it was - when I came to think of it, I vaguely remembered sitting up half the night bashing it out, but I was surprised that the end result was so comprehensible.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:38 PM   #9
merely human

Quote:
Discuss.
Um, can I talk about it tomorrow?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-22-2004, 06:08 PM   #10
Liver of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Um, can I talk about it tomorrow?
Sure. But the deadline to tell us your thoughts is February 25th, 6AM Japanese time. Don't procrastinate
Old 02-22-2004, 07:57 PM   #11
Disciplined Breakdown

Ahem...

Bigger
Better
Longer

I can't work without the pressure, I get distracted by every little thing, but I have been known to write 6 page papers in an hour and a half the day before they're due, and still get an A.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:57 AM   #12
Umbilicus Mundi

Once I did a whole semesters project in the last 5 hours and got an A. And when the professor told me it's not far from a Master's degree thesis, I just stared at him with my sleepy eyes and my mouth open for a few seconds.

Old 02-23-2004, 07:46 AM   #13
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

There is an essay due last Friday on a book I have hardly begun... When this sort of thing happens, I skim through the last few pages of the book and then spend four typed pages discussing some semantic inconsistency in the professor's question that the paper should purpose to answer, merely hinting at the end of the book so as if it would seam I have read the damn thing. If you adopt a very aggressive and eloquent stance to boot, the paper cannot fail. Mention Faust or Prometheus and you are home free.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:16 AM   #14
merely human

Hardly qualifies for procrastination (though I did finish it the night before due), but, for the final paper for a short fiction class I had taken while independent studying in England years ago, I chose to do a Freudian analysis of Melville's 'Bartleby, Scrivener'. That was weird and yet.......I preferred not to.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-23-2004, 12:39 PM   #15
merely human

BTW, I'm off work today and am supposed to be cleaning and packing stuff in my room for the big move this Sunday. Instead I'm hanging here in the forums and plan on playing more Splinter Cell for an hour. Um, I promise I'll get all the packing done today. Seriously.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:31 PM   #16
Liver of Life

Well, I didn't tell you guys this, but this paper was not due Monday but actually Tuesday! I didn't want to work on it during the weekdays so I forced myself to believe it was due Monday and that I had to finish it Sunday.

Now I relax, while my procrastinating bretheren toil.

MUWHAHAHAHAHAAH!
Old 02-23-2004, 02:52 PM   #17
Kiss My Face

Send a message via MSN to scabb

I had coursework to hand in today, so last night I disconnected the internet, loaded my word document, armed myself with a caffeinated beverage and bashed out a few sentences. Then I started to get some sort of intangible irritation, so I got up and paced about the landing for a few minutes. Then I wandered into my sleeping brothers bedroom and began stacking books on his person, a game which I cleverly branded "Bookaroo" (He didn't "Buck", though). I spent an overly large amount of time playing with a dressing gown belt after that.

When I did eventually get going, I churned out a hell of a lot more than I should have, and I did manage to obtain "that" feeling (something like a combination of coffee churning about in your insides and satisfaction). Essay-wise, generally I just repeat points I've already made, frequently use elaborate words and annoying phrases such as "ascertain as to whether", and attempt to sound smart - ambiguous & pretentious wins the race!

I think I have work due in tomorrow morning, but the skin around my thumbnails looks delicious.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:11 PM   #18

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Well, I didn't tell you guys this, but this paper was not due Monday but actually Tuesday! I didn't want to work on it during the weekdays so I forced myself to believe it was due Monday and that I had to finish it Sunday.

Now I relax, while my procrastinating bretheren toil.

MUWHAHAHAHAHAAH!
You fraud!

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 02-23-2004, 08:12 PM   #19
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabb
...the skin around my thumbnails looks delicious.
..eiw.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
..eiw.
Yeah, no kidding. scabb: